Here's the thing I miss the most on the Note 5

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I am learning to live without an internal SD card. I'm also learning to live without a removable battery. But the one thing I'm really going to miss is the ability to connect to a TV via an HDMI cable via a MHL adapter. I use this a lot when tailgating for football games. Just connect to a big screen TV and start streaming.

I'm going to have to find another way to do this. Any ideas?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am learning to live without an internal SD card. I'm also learning to live without a removable battery. But the one thing I'm really going to miss is the ability to connect to a TV via an HDMI cable via a MHL adapter. I use this a lot when tailgating for football games. Just connect to a big screen TV and start streaming.

Have you looked at the "I have a Note 5 ask me questions" thread? I haven't read it lately, but noticed they are discussing this very issue the last couple of days. There might be an answer for you there.

Soulfly79

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

Not sure if you want to spend any money, but the Amazon Fire TV stick may be a good fit for you.
There other similar solutions if you don't want amazon one.

If you search by Amazon Fire stick display mirroring on google you will find an article that explains how it works.

Hope it helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if you want to spend any money, but the Amazon Fire TV stick may be a good fit for you.

If you search by Amazon Fire stick display mirroring on google you will find an article that explains how it works.

Hope it helps.

Hugo,

Thanks for the tip. I do have a Fire Stick and I'll try this when I get home. At first I thought that the Note 5 and the Fire Stick needed to be on the same network, which can't happen unless I add a wifi router to the mix, but at second look it may not need a network. In any event I'll check this out.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Is there a reason why you can't connect it to an MHL adaptor?

I have not tried this cable with my Note 5, but it worked with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Cable Matters® MHL 2.0 to HDMI Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 & Note 2 with Built-in USB Cable in Black 6 Feet. You need a wall charger (I can't remember if it came with one), but this also charges the phone or keeps it charged while you're streaming. But something like this should work. Or is yours similar and it doesn't work on the Note 5? If not, I might try the Amazon Fire stick mirroring thing if that works.

Eta: I tried it and it doesn't work with the Note 5.

Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned in the same thread Diraan is referring to, the latest MHL/HDMI adapter does not fit in the Note 5 adapter. Here's what I got. It works great with my Note 4 though. I have both phones.

Last edited:

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
As I mentioned in the same thread Diraan is referring to, the latest MHL/HDMI adapter does not fit in the Note 5 adapter. Here's what I got. It works great on my Note 4 though. I have both phones.

I wonder why their support article would reference this capability with that adapter then. I'm not at all doubting you. I wouldn't put it past Samsung to overlook something like this on a support page.

Out of curiosity though, why doesn't it fit? This will be my first Android phone ever, after a lifetime of iPhones. I was under the impression that these Androids (Samsung included) all use the standard micro-USB port, which is what I thought all these adapters employed. What exactly am I missing here?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I oaid 50 about three years ago for a push2tv box for my phones and tablet.

It works great and it sits under my tv. It's plugged into the HDMI port on the phone and you just use the screen mirroring on the phone.

Works great and very portable.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder why their support article would reference this capability with that adapter then. I'm not at all doubting you. I wouldn't put it past Samsung to overlook something like this on a support page.

Out of curiosity though, why doesn't it fit? This will be my first Android phone ever, after a lifetime of iPhones. I was under the impression that these Androids (Samsung included) all use the standard micro-USB port, which is what I thought all these adapters employed. What exactly am I missing here?
Here are 2 pics of my new Note 5 and the latest Samsung adapter. I pushed and pushed, but it does not go in all the way, it fits perfectly with my Note 4.

Attachments

• 1440544098022.jpg
    1440544098022.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 1440544107377.jpg
    1440544107377.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 168

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Hope it helps.

I'd like to try this but I can't find any screen mirroring option on my Note 5.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried my generic MHL device, the one that works fine on a Note 4, and can confirm that it does nothing with the Note 5. Maybe I need to buy a new one that works only with the Note 5 from Samsung.

Edit: I believe that my MHL adapter is version 2.0. It looks like the Note 5 requires an MHL 3.0 to accommodate 4K resolution. I ordered one of those on Amazon and should have it by Thursday. I'll report back on how that works.

Edit 2: I talked to chat. I got Canadian chat at first. Sarah started to tell me how to do it then she noticed I was in the U.S. so she sent me to the U.S. chat. The U.S. chat person verified that I was on Verizon before proceeding. Then he said MHL is not compatible with my device. I guess it may be carrier dependent as to whether MHL is supported.

Last edited:

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I tried my generic MHL device, the one that works fine on a Note 4, and can confirm that it does nothing with the Note 5. Maybe I need to buy a new one that works only with the Note 5 from Samsung.

Edit: I believe that my MHL adapter is version 2.0. It looks like the Note 5 requires an MHL 3.0 to accommodate 4K resolution. I ordered one of those on Amazon and should have it by Thursday. I'll report back on how that works.

Edit 2: I talked to chat. I got Canadian chat at first. Sarah started to tell me how to do it then she noticed I was in the U.S. so she sent me to the U.S. chat. The U.S. chat person verified that I was on Verizon before proceeding. Then he said MHL is not compatible with my device. I guess it may be carrier dependent as to whether MHL is supported.
It might be a Verizon issue. Noticed Phil had an issue using Android Auto and a VZW Note 5. It was hit or miss and he even stated it might be isolated to their model. They must've done something to the port via software

Sent from my Note 5

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

If you go back to my posts, I do have the latest EOM MHL adapter, 3.0.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Here are 2 pics of my new Note 5 and the latest Samsung adapter. I pushed and pushed, but it does not go in all the way, it fits perfectly with my Note 4.

Even though it doesn't go all the way in, did it work? I'd think it'd have to go in all the way, but maybe not.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Even though it doesn't go all the way in, did it work? I'd think it'd have to go in all the way, but maybe not.

Posted via the *Note 5*
Ha, it needs to go in all the way as intended, just like how it works with my Note 4. If I give it more force, the adapter would break, so would my Note 5. 😢

Interesting how the link you provided says 3.0, I have that, but no-go.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ha, it needs to go in all the way as intended, just like how it works with my Note 4. If I give it more force, the adapter would break, so would my Note 5. 😢

Interesting how the link you provided says 3.0, I have that, but no-go.

Thanks. I was hoping it'd work anyway, guess not. I hope something works. Maybe others will try something like the Fire stick and it'll work.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek