11-28-2016 04:24 PM
33 12
tools
    I am learning to live without an internal SD card. I'm also learning to live without a removable battery. But the one thing I'm really going to miss is the ability to connect to a TV via an HDMI cable via a MHL adapter. I use this a lot when tailgating for football games. Just connect to a big screen TV and start streaming.

I'm going to have to find another way to do this. Any ideas?
    novice likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:09 AM
    I am learning to live without an internal SD card. I'm also learning to live without a removable battery. But the one thing I'm really going to miss is the ability to connect to a TV via an HDMI cable via a MHL adapter. I use this a lot when tailgating for football games. Just connect to a big screen TV and start streaming.

Have you looked at the "I have a Note 5 ask me questions" thread? I haven't read it lately, but noticed they are discussing this very issue the last couple of days. There might be an answer for you there.
    08-25-2015 10:14 AM

Not sure if you want to spend any money, but the Amazon Fire TV stick may be a good fit for you.
    There other similar solutions if you don't want amazon one.

If you search by Amazon Fire stick display mirroring on google you will find an article that explains how it works.

Hope it helps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-25-2015 11:05 AM
    Not sure if you want to spend any money, but the Amazon Fire TV stick may be a good fit for you.

If you search by Amazon Fire stick display mirroring on google you will find an article that explains how it works.

Hope it helps.

Hugo,

Thanks for the tip. I do have a Fire Stick and I'll try this when I get home. At first I thought that the Note 5 and the Fire Stick needed to be on the same network, which can't happen unless I add a wifi router to the mix, but at second look it may not need a network. In any event I'll check this out.
    08-25-2015 11:42 AM
    Is there a reason why you can't connect it to an MHL adaptor?

I have not tried this cable with my Note 5, but it worked with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Cable Matters® MHL 2.0 to HDMI Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 & Note 2 with Built-in USB Cable in Black 6 Feet. You need a wall charger (I can't remember if it came with one), but this also charges the phone or keeps it charged while you're streaming. But something like this should work. Or is yours similar and it doesn't work on the Note 5? If not, I might try the Amazon Fire stick mirroring thing if that works.

Eta: I tried it and it doesn't work with the Note 5.
    ccpopham likes this.
    08-25-2015 12:58 PM
    I posted about this very issue on the aforementioned "I have a Note 5, ask me questions" thread.

According to this page, the Note 5 is compatible with the Samsung Smart HDMI Adapter.

how to, connect, Galaxy Note 5, TV, HDMI cable, HDTV smart adapter, MHL, content, compatible, HDTV, connect,SM-N920W8

I'm not sure what is going on here, and I have yet to get my Note 5, but I hope it is true.
    speedfreek64 likes this.
    08-25-2015 01:39 PM
    As I mentioned in the same thread Diraan is referring to, the latest MHL/HDMI adapter does not fit in the Note 5 adapter. Here's what I got. It works great with my Note 4 though. I have both phones.
    08-25-2015 01:53 PM
    Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Here's the thing I miss the most on the Note 5-1440529116839.jpg  
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    08-25-2015 01:58 PM
    As I mentioned in the same thread Diraan is referring to, the latest MHL/HDMI adapter does not fit in the Note 5 adapter. Here's what I got. It works great on my Note 4 though. I have both phones.
    I wonder why their support article would reference this capability with that adapter then. I'm not at all doubting you. I wouldn't put it past Samsung to overlook something like this on a support page.

Out of curiosity though, why doesn't it fit? This will be my first Android phone ever, after a lifetime of iPhones. I was under the impression that these Androids (Samsung included) all use the standard micro-USB port, which is what I thought all these adapters employed. What exactly am I missing here?
    08-25-2015 02:11 PM
    I oaid 50 about three years ago for a push2tv box for my phones and tablet.

It works great and it sits under my tv. It's plugged into the HDMI port on the phone and you just use the screen mirroring on the phone.

Works great and very portable.

08-25-2015 02:46 PM
    I wonder why their support article would reference this capability with that adapter then. I'm not at all doubting you. I wouldn't put it past Samsung to overlook something like this on a support page.

Out of curiosity though, why doesn't it fit? This will be my first Android phone ever, after a lifetime of iPhones. I was under the impression that these Androids (Samsung included) all use the standard micro-USB port, which is what I thought all these adapters employed. What exactly am I missing here?
    Here are 2 pics of my new Note 5 and the latest Samsung adapter. I pushed and pushed, but it does not go in all the way, it fits perfectly with my Note 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Here's the thing I miss the most on the Note 5-1440544098022.jpg   Here's the thing I miss the most on the Note 5-1440544107377.jpg  
    08-25-2015 06:08 PM

Hope it helps.

I'd like to try this but I can't find any screen mirroring option on my Note 5.
    08-25-2015 07:37 PM
    I tried my generic MHL device, the one that works fine on a Note 4, and can confirm that it does nothing with the Note 5. Maybe I need to buy a new one that works only with the Note 5 from Samsung.

Edit: I believe that my MHL adapter is version 2.0. It looks like the Note 5 requires an MHL 3.0 to accommodate 4K resolution. I ordered one of those on Amazon and should have it by Thursday. I'll report back on how that works.

Edit 2: I talked to chat. I got Canadian chat at first. Sarah started to tell me how to do it then she noticed I was in the U.S. so she sent me to the U.S. chat. The U.S. chat person verified that I was on Verizon before proceeding. Then he said MHL is not compatible with my device. I guess it may be carrier dependent as to whether MHL is supported.
    08-25-2015 07:38 PM
    I tried my generic MHL device, the one that works fine on a Note 4, and can confirm that it does nothing with the Note 5. Maybe I need to buy a new one that works only with the Note 5 from Samsung.

Edit: I believe that my MHL adapter is version 2.0. It looks like the Note 5 requires an MHL 3.0 to accommodate 4K resolution. I ordered one of those on Amazon and should have it by Thursday. I'll report back on how that works.

Edit 2: I talked to chat. I got Canadian chat at first. Sarah started to tell me how to do it then she noticed I was in the U.S. so she sent me to the U.S. chat. The U.S. chat person verified that I was on Verizon before proceeding. Then he said MHL is not compatible with my device. I guess it may be carrier dependent as to whether MHL is supported.
    It might be a Verizon issue. Noticed Phil had an issue using Android Auto and a VZW Note 5. It was hit or miss and he even stated it might be isolated to their model. They must've done something to the port via software

Sent from my Note 5
    08-25-2015 08:53 PM
    I have t-mobile and my HDMI adaptor didn't work (I edited my post above).

Posted via the *Note 5*
    08-25-2015 09:00 PM

If you go back to my posts, I do have the latest EOM MHL adapter, 3.0.
    08-25-2015 09:05 PM
    I'd like to try this but I can't find any screen mirroring option on my Note 5.
    Here's an article on various ways to connect to your TV, including the Fire stick
    http://www.technipages.com/connect-galaxy-note-5-tv

Posted via the *Note 5*
    08-25-2015 09:14 PM
    Here are 2 pics of my new Note 5 and the latest Samsung adapter. I pushed and pushed, but it does not go in all the way, it fits perfectly with my Note 4.
    Even though it doesn't go all the way in, did it work? I'd think it'd have to go in all the way, but maybe not.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    08-25-2015 09:16 PM
    Even though it doesn't go all the way in, did it work? I'd think it'd have to go in all the way, but maybe not.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    Ha, it needs to go in all the way as intended, just like how it works with my Note 4. If I give it more force, the adapter would break, so would my Note 5. 😢

Interesting how the link you provided says 3.0, I have that, but no-go.
    08-25-2015 09:22 PM
    Ha, it needs to go in all the way as intended, just like how it works with my Note 4. If I give it more force, the adapter would break, so would my Note 5. 😢

Interesting how the link you provided says 3.0, I have that, but no-go.
    Thanks. I was hoping it'd work anyway, guess not. I hope something works. Maybe others will try something like the Fire stick and it'll work.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    08-25-2015 09:26 PM
    I posted about this very issue on the aforementioned "I have a Note 5, ask me questions" thread.

According to this page, the Note 5 is compatible with the Samsung Smart HDMI Adapter.

how to, connect, Galaxy Note 5, TV, HDMI cable, HDTV smart adapter, MHL, content, compatible, HDTV, connect,SM-N920W8

I'm not sure what is going on here, and I have yet to get my Note 5, but I hope it is true.
    I couldn't see the Note 5 listed in the compatible devices. I went through the list, then saw I could change it to "newest first". The Note Edge was listed as well as the Note 4, but not the Note 5. I wonder if it does need the 3.0 not the 2.0 which this is.
    08-26-2015 10:21 AM
    I just tried the native SideSync app on my Note 5 with my laptop connected via wifi. It works the same way with my HDMI/MHL3 adapter and Note 4 in terms of the mirroring. I can even text, email, surf, and watch streaming videos, and make calls!

I wonder if we can then connect our laptop to our TV that way...
    08-26-2015 11:34 AM
    The writing on the screen when its unlocked is one of the most pretentious features i would love on the note 5.The other thing may be the captative camera that produces high quality picture is gona be an amazing stuff form.The love and experienced got while using samsung phone drives me to looking at all feature that the note 5 would be carrying.I Pray to have one.
    08-27-2015 07:07 AM
    Wanted to post on here after my frustration with this. I had an adapter I got from Amazon that worked with the note 4 and S4. Doesn't work with the note 5. Went to best buy and bought their 3.0 adapter and it doesn't work. Samsung mobile rep online told me that 3.0 doesn't work and it has to be the samsung 2.0 adapter. So ill be checking that when it arrives on tues or was.
    08-30-2015 07:22 PM
    The writing on the screen when its unlocked is one of the most pretentious features i would love on the note 5.The other thing may be the captative camera that produces high quality picture is gona be an amazing stuff form.The love and experienced got while using samsung phone drives me to looking at all feature that the note 5 would be carrying.I Pray to have one.
    HUH?

08-30-2015 07:51 PM
33 12