I was a loyal iPhone user for about 7 years. Starting with the iPhone 3G. I recently decided it was time to part ways with the iPhone 6 and challenge myself to learn something new.

I've had the phone for about 4 days, and feel like i'm really not getting the most out of it. Any tips on improving productivity, battery life, notification management. Any of these topics would be helpful. I've read some generic threads but nothing really sparked my interest.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:48 AM
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EECkqzELgX-HQl

Enjoy and welcome to the gOOd side!!
    08-25-2015 10:50 AM
    Welcome to Android!

One of the areas that iPhone locks you into is your screen. Everyone's looks EXACTLY alike (just with different apps and folders). That and wallpaper is the only choice you get.

Try a new and unique experience with a launcher. There are many out there, some are great. Nova Launcher is one of the best. (I paid to get the Prime version)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oilsw.launcher

Change the # of rows and columns on your screen to fit more on the screen or to make the folders and app icons smaller (so you can see more of that wallpaper on that big, beautiful screen).

Mine is set to 8 by 8 (normal is 4 by 4 I think).

If you don't like it, you can always switch back to TouchWiz (Samsung's launcher).
    08-25-2015 11:55 AM
    What he said on Nova launcher. Spring for the Prime version for a few bucks. Download Tesla Unread to get notifications on your home page (it's an add for Nova launcher). Also, try some of the alternate email and texting clients. I use Textra for text and Nine for exchange email. Start playing with the spen. I use screen capture and write notes and email that stuff to people.

I was an iPhone guy and made the switch 3 years ago. I'll never go back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    goin_nil likes this.
    08-25-2015 12:15 PM
    Also, Nova is just one of many launchers (albeit the best in my opinion) but there's all kinds u can play with. Google the term launchers for Android or search the play store. Or start a separate thread here in this forum and you'll get all kinds of feedback

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    08-25-2015 12:22 PM
    Another very handy app I use (probably the one I use more than any other) is called Display Brightness.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...playBrightness

I don't like auto brightness.

With the Display Brightness app, it's extremely easy and fast to change the brightness, it's almost like a magic trick.

Just slide your finger on the edge of the screen. That's it.

No matter what app you are using, it's always on top. Watching a movie and want to fine tune the brightness, slide your finger. Playing a game and don't want to stop to adjust the brightness, slide your finger.

Tip: I set the display brightness indicator to auto hide.

It also has negative brightness which is handy at night when you are in a very dark room and don't want to be blinded by your bright screen. One tip though - set a lower limit on the negative brightness so you never get your screen too dim that you can't see anything. I use 50%.
    08-25-2015 12:22 PM
    These are all great tips! I'm really excited to watch/try all of these suggestions when I get home from work!
    goin_nil likes this.
    08-25-2015 01:45 PM
    This is brilliant!
    08-25-2015 01:47 PM
    If you take many handwritten notes or pictures that have text within them, use S Finder to search for that text.
    08-26-2015 11:27 AM
    One of things i do with a phone is search tips and tricks for it on YouTube. You can find lots of information on there.

Nowadays everyone just loves to post to Youtube, and I for one am grateful!

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    08-26-2015 11:35 AM
    If you have some text on the screen that you want to copy and paste into another app (ie txt msg) or send to another app (ex search online) but you can't use the normal process of "touch and hold your finger on the text and move the selection points, choose copy" - if that's not possible then...

Use the S Pen Smart Select to select a rectangular region of the screen (including the text on the screen you want), hover your s pen over the text, click the "T" icon in the top right, then you get access to select and copy all/part of the text.

Or you can click the share icon on the lower right to send/share that text to another app.

See pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails New Android Adopter with Note 5-1440607142518.jpg   New Android Adopter with Note 5-1440607154539.jpg  
    saladbars likes this.
    08-26-2015 11:40 AM
    This trick is super useful. Thanks for the screenshots to go with it.
    08-27-2015 08:17 AM
    If you have some text on the screen that you want to copy and paste into another app (ie txt msg) or send to another app (ex search online) but you can't use the normal process of "touch and hold your finger on the text and move the selection points, choose copy" - if that's not possible then...

Use the S Pen Smart Select to select a rectangular region of the screen (including the text on the screen you want), hover your s pen over the text, click the "T" icon in the top right, then you get access to select and copy all/part of the text.

Or you can click the share icon on the lower right to send/share that text to another app.

See pics below.
    Does the smart select option you mentioned work with certain apps? I don't have the text option in my Note5 when I smart select

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-27-2015 10:37 AM
    You need to hit the Text button first. Then gives you smart select option.
    08-27-2015 10:45 AM
    Does the smart select option you mentioned work with certain apps? I don't have the text option in my Note5 when I smart select

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-download.html I think that might be why?. It's an extra download because some people don't even use the Spen. I love it myself.
    08-27-2015 11:06 AM
    First thing disable all carrier and Samsung bloat. Don't use any Samsung services or be sucked into them since you don't want to be stuck in Samsung only ecosystem. Use Google or cross platform services when possible.

Other than that to improve experience use a custom launcher like Nova prime, you will have lots of customization options and phone feels snappy, looks simple compared to not that great looking touchwiz.

Play around with widgets, something you don't find in iOS so might be interesting to you.

08-27-2015 11:30 AM

See pics below.
    Unfortunately the Smart Select option to extract text don't work on the Note 5
    08-27-2015 11:50 AM
    Unfortunately the Smart Select option to extract text don't work on the Note 5
    What do you mean by "doesn't with"? Be more specific.

Did you install the expansion pack that debdroid1a mentioned a couple posts above?
    08-27-2015 01:06 PM
    I've had the phone for about 4 days, and feel like i'm really not getting the most out of it. Any tips on improving productivity,
    Install a clipboard manager that lets you keep a history of text that you have copied. The one I use is called Clipper.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ojekti.clipper

This is very handy when you are reading an article and find several good nuggets of info that you want to copy and share.

Simple read and select/copy text as you go and then go back and copy/paste all that you selected into a text message or some other app.

It's always accessible from the notification area.

If you have text that you write/type a lot over and over, you can mark some text to remain in the list called Snippets.
    08-27-2015 01:17 PM
    What do you mean by "doesn't with"? Be more specific.

Did you install the expansion pack that debdroid1a mentioned a couple posts above?
    The smart select then hovering over the selection doesn't show the T on the Note 5 like the Note 4. Even with the download.
    08-27-2015 05:19 PM
    option now for smart select
    Attached Thumbnails New Android Adopter with Note 5-1440714379474.jpg  
    08-27-2015 05:29 PM