10-08-2016 02:40 AM
114 1234 ...
tools
    For better clarrification of what i'm talking about. Seem people are getting it mixed with Action Memo. With the note 4, you could take a picture of a Flyer. Open that picture on your phone, use the S Pen and select Smart Select. You can then select a box around the phone number on the flyer and you would be able to save it to a contact or click on it to place a call. You could select the address on that picutre of the flyer and save it to a contact or click on it and get Google Map directions to it. Text in the picture could be extracted and paste in anything as if you typed it. Or just save the selection as a picture to paste to your scrapbook, save in your gallery or share it to a social site. Now you only have to option to save it to your gallery or share it as a picture to other apps. As you can see, it was quite handy. Especially take a picture of a business card and later just extract the number and click call.
    ccpopham likes this.
    08-26-2015 03:10 PM
    So in cases of numbers, addresses, dates, instead of writing it down with action memo and click more to extract the data, you could just take a picture of it and Smart Select to extract the data. Good for a take a quick pic and get the info later when you want it.
    08-26-2015 03:13 PM
    It was very handy. I'm surprised they removed it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-26-2015 03:19 PM
    I was looking for the same thing and I couldnt find it as it was on Note 4.

But, I found a Samsung App called optical reader, you can download it from Galaxy Apps.

That one does what you are looking for but I really wished they kept the way it was on Note 4.

I actually have it as one of the shortcuts in the Air Command.

Hope it helps.

beh, emcknight23 and dsignori like this.
    08-26-2015 03:21 PM
    I was looking for the same thing and I couldnt find it as it was on Note 4.

But, I found a Samsung App called optical reader, you can download it from Galaxy Apps.

That one does what you are looking for but I really wished they kept the way it was on Note 4.

I actually have it as one of the shortcuts in the Air Command.

Hope it helps.

Yo Thanks alot man. that will be very helpful. Works pretty good. Only down fall is it works on pics taken or saved. Where Smart Select you could use in apps and browsers. but better than nothing
    08-26-2015 03:35 PM
    I haven't sold my Note 4 yet, so I was able to pull these screenshots. It was recently reset, so the on screen instructions still come up. I took a picture of the post above and went through the process. BTW, that app you posted about above helps.

Smart Select has been Downgraded.-1.jpgSmart Select has been Downgraded.-2.jpgSmart Select has been Downgraded.-3.jpgSmart Select has been Downgraded.-4.jpgSmart Select has been Downgraded.-5.jpg
    ccpopham and emcknight23 like this.
    08-26-2015 03:38 PM
    Yo Thanks alot man. that will be very helpful. Works pretty good. Only down fall is it works on pics taken or saved. Where Smart Select you could use in apps and browsers. but better than nothing
    Will this app work on a screenshot?
    08-26-2015 03:42 PM
    I had no idea the Note could do this. I would have bought one years ago, just for this!
    08-26-2015 03:44 PM
    I think you could take a screenshot and save to the gallery.
    After that you can use the optical reader.
    Not as nice as it was on Note 4, but will get the job done.

08-26-2015 03:50 PM
    I just tried. No additional options from the gallery, nothing when exporting to S-Note, and there is not share to optical reader option.

Edit: Per the above post, you're able to open an image directly from optical reader. How did I miss that one...
    08-26-2015 03:51 PM
    You will have to save the screenshot to the gallery.

08-26-2015 03:52 PM
    I think you could take a screenshot and save to the gallery.
    After that you can use the optical reader.
    Not as nice as it was on Note 4, but will get the job done.

Yes you can do exactly that. What a pain though. It used to be so simple.

08-26-2015 03:52 PM
    You will have to save the screenshot to the gallery.

Once you save it to the gallery open the optical reader and select the screenshots from the gallery.

Attached Thumbnails Smart Select has been Downgraded.-461.jpg  
    08-26-2015 03:54 PM
    Not perfect but this is a good work around.
    08-26-2015 03:57 PM
    Yes you can do exactly that. What a pain though. It used to be so simple.

Completely agree with you.

Other features I miss is the ability to capture multiple screenshots with smart select and keep the floating icon where you could click to add another screenshot.

After completion they would go to the scrapbook already merged.

You can achieve the same but it is not as straight forward as it used to be.

08-26-2015 03:57 PM
    I used smart select to take screenshots I was going to share but didn't want to save.
    08-26-2015 03:59 PM
    For better clarrification of what i'm talking about. Seem people are getting it mixed with Action Memo. With the note 4, you could take a picture of a Flyer. Open that picture on your phone, use the S Pen and select Smart Select. You can then select a box around the phone number on the flyer and you would be able to save it to a contact or click on it to place a call. You could select the address on that picutre of the flyer and save it to a contact or click on it and get Google Map directions to it. Text in the picture could be extracted and paste in anything as if you typed it. Or just save the selection as a picture to paste to your scrapbook, save in your gallery or share it to a social site. Now you only have to option to save it to your gallery or share it as a picture to other apps. As you can see, it was quite handy. Especially take a picture of a business card and later just extract the number and click call.
    Right. It was in SNote and called Photo Note. So that's gone too huh?

08-26-2015 04:05 PM
    Right. It was in SNote and called Photo Note. So that's gone too huh?

This other app above seems to work around it.
    08-26-2015 04:07 PM
    I don't think Samsung knew people were actually using all of those great features of the 4. They tested the wrong crowd. I'm hoping we just haven't delved into the phones deep enough yet, and they're hidden away someplace. I know, that's a long shot ;-)

08-26-2015 04:10 PM
    I don't think Samsung knew people were actually using all of those great features of the 4. They tested the wrong crowd. I'm hoping we just haven't delved into the phones deep enough yet, and they're hidden away someplace. I know, that's a long shot ;-)

Well one thing I know, this site is one of only 3 that Samsung tech dept are allowed access to on the net, another is a Samsung site. If they paid attention to the Note 4 forum, they would see that almost everyone that posted about it, never touched their spen.

There was an entire thread very recently about people using their spens.
    08-26-2015 04:12 PM
    Is this what you were talking about? Smart Select has been Downgraded.-uploadfromtaptalk1440625736385.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    08-26-2015 04:49 PM
    Is this what you were talking about? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440625736385.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	193301

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Not quit. That's for S Note
    08-27-2015 10:38 PM
    Can someone point me to Samsung Optical Reader?

I searched Google Play, and can't find it. Can't find it on Samsungs site, either.

Thanks in advance!
    08-27-2015 11:40 PM
    Can someone point me to Samsung Optical Reader?

I searched Google Play, and can't find it. Can't find it on Samsungs site, either.

Thanks in advance!
    It's in the "Galaxy apps" app.

8100User likes this.
    08-28-2015 12:10 AM
    I was really looking forward to the smart select. Now smart select is nothing more than cropping a screen write image like on the Note 3. Why not just put it under the screen write because it no longer is smart select.

08-28-2015 05:15 AM
114 1234 ...