10-08-2016 02:40 AM
114 12345
tools
    This makes me sad. Was looking to upgrade to note 5 from the note 4. This is 75% of my Spen usage. Grabbing text from articles and photos. Bummer that feature is gone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-28-2015 05:54 AM
    You're joking.

Samsung actually got rid of this with the Note 5!
    08-28-2015 12:50 PM
    No joke. I emailed them about it and haven't gotten a response yet.
    08-28-2015 01:23 PM
    This makes me sad. Was looking to upgrade to note 5 from the note 4. This is 75% of my Spen usage. Grabbing text from articles and photos. Bummer that feature is gone.

To be clear, you can still grab text from articles fine. Just hold the sPEN button down and select text anywhere. Grabbing text from photos is what has changed.
    08-28-2015 02:57 PM
    Yes if it is already in ocr like a Web page or pdf, but yes samsung in their inifinite stupidity removed the ocr portion of the smart select so it is not smart select any longer, now it is just cropped select.
    08-28-2015 05:33 PM
    I found another alternative for OCR on photos.
    I nice app called Office Lens, from Microsoft.

You can use it to scan documents or take screenshot of white boards and if you save as pdf it will apply OCR.

Open the pdf with Hancom and you will be able to copy any text.
    I found that Hancom app is very nice as well. You can take notes on the pdf.

The office lens app is very nice, and you can use it to scan documents as well.

debdroid1a likes this.
    08-28-2015 11:16 PM
    what.... it's gone on the note 5?
    seriously no way you can extract text from smart select?

Holy f... and no workaround?

So now I have to copy and then open another apps, paste to call, to find address etc?

and what about having multiple smart select and group them together in one scrapbook?

don't tell me it's gone too?
    08-30-2015 04:31 AM
    what.... it's gone on the note 5?
    seriously no way you can extract text from smart select?

Holy f... and no workaround?

So now I have to copy and then open another apps, paste to call, to find address etc?

and what about having multiple smart select and group them together in one scrapbook?

don't tell me it's gone too?
    Yep. Gone too
    08-30-2015 07:18 AM
    .......... features that I use the most on the note 4
    is there a way to create one scrapbook with many screenshot / smart select in it as an alternative of the missing feature?
    08-30-2015 07:36 AM
    I was just telling my wife about this last night. I wish there was a way to get it back. I have so many old "notes" in my old scrapbook from my previous Notes that are pretty much useless because I need to get to the text and not a screen shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 07:14 AM
    I was just telling my wife about this last night. I wish there was a way to get it back. I have so many old "notes" in my old scrapbook from my previous Notes that are pretty much useless because I need to get to the text and not a screen shot.

or maybe you can do text copy on the screenshot?
    worth a try
    maybe this is the new feature

copy everything! lol
    Killahhops likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:20 AM

For you, the Optical Reader app would work since you have screen shots. Does the same thing. Just have to upload the screen shots in the app
    Killahhops likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:35 AM
    What is the Optical Reader app?
    09-03-2015 09:53 AM
    Image Select is also gone. Take an image and manually crop out the picture and then save it to scrapbook. I used this feature on every other version on the Note, now not so much on Note 5. Only 3 modes of cropping, I hope an update fixes that.
    09-03-2015 10:36 AM
    Image Select is also gone. Take an image and manually crop out the picture and then save it to scrapbook. I used this feature on every other version on the Note, now not so much on Note 5. Only 3 modes of cropping, I hope an update fixes that.
    It's now called Smart Select.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    09-03-2015 10:52 AM
    I found another alternative for OCR on photos.
    I nice app called Office Lens, from Microsoft.

You can use it to scan documents or take screenshot of white boards and if you save as pdf it will apply OCR.

Open the pdf with Hancom and you will be able to copy any text.
    I found that Hancom app is very nice as well. You can take notes on the pdf.

The office lens app is very nice, and you can use it to scan documents as well.

So how do I save the screen shot as a pdf in OneNote ? It didn't give me that option that I could see. It's just saved as a screen shot or photo.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    09-03-2015 11:01 AM
    I understand its now called Smart Select, what i referring to was the ability to manually crop a picture, it was called Image Clip. Smart Select now has only 3 modes to crop and its not the same as previous versions. With Image Clip u could trace the image u wanted and then save into scrapbook for future use. Not anymore unless an updaye brings it back.
    09-03-2015 03:06 PM
    I understand its now called Smart Select, what i referring to was the ability to manually crop a picture, it was called Image Select. Smart Select now has only 3 modes to crop and its not the same as previous versions. With Image select u could trace the image u wanted and then save into scrapbook for future use. Not anymore unless an updaye brings it back.
    with Smart Select, if you choose Lasso, you can trace the image u want and then save it to a scrapbook.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    09-03-2015 03:10 PM
    with Smart Select, if you choose Lasso, you can trace the image u want and then save it to a scrapbook.
    Really! Really!!!!!!, my bad, LoL. Staring at me the whole time. Thx
    09-03-2015 03:14 PM
    Yeah, I am really missing this feature too. I used it all the time. It was really nice when someone sent you an address via text but then typed a message in the same text. You could just smart select the address and quickly jump into maps. Or when viewing a website that had their address or phone number in an image, instead of selectable text. Sure you can screenshot it, and use an OCR app, but at that point it would be more efficient to just do it manually.
    09-04-2015 01:08 PM
    I'm kind of confused. Smart Select was performing OCR. Optical Reader performs OCR. The latter defaults to the camera to take a pic but if you expand the little arrow at the top it gives you the option of opening an existing picture. So anything you have on your Note 5 that's in a supported pic format can be OCR'd. What else did Smart Select do that I'm missing? Did it support non-pic files like PDF?
    09-04-2015 03:45 PM
    I'm kind of confused. Smart Select was performing OCR. Optical Reader performs OCR. The latter defaults to the camera to take a pic but if you expand the little arrow at the top it gives you the option of opening an existing picture. So anything you have on your Note 5 that's in a supported pic format can be OCR'd. What else did Smart Select do that I'm missing? Did it support non-pic files like PDF?
    What is optical reader?
    09-04-2015 05:29 PM
    So how do I save the screen shot as a pdf in OneNote ? It didn't give me that option that I could see. It's just saved as a screen shot or photo.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    These are the options I have.
    Smart Select has been Downgraded.-344.jpg

09-04-2015 07:03 PM
    PDF, Web pages, text messages. Anything with text in them. On the fly, not screenshooting or pic uploading. Anything on your current screen you are on.
    09-04-2015 09:26 PM
    What is optical reader?
    Optical reader gives you the ability to extract text from pictures and screen shots. Basically giving you the ability to copy text from a pic and use the text as if you typed it and paste it anywhere
    09-04-2015 09:28 PM
114 12345