Smart Select has been Downgraded.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I noticed that about the note 5 that it doesn't have smart Select well the text capturing select option from what's on screen. That was a great feature to have I used that constantly so thinking that the No 5 is coming out I was going to get that and more options but they took it from us. I don't understand if its lost in the system or Samsung just forgot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I just got an update through t-mobile on my galaxy note 5 smart Select is now back in full force and text selectv is now back! Woo hoo!

joejkd82

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, not really. It won't perform ocr, it only works if you highlight actual text. Text on images won't be read. Actual text is already selectable, so this isn't all that useful.

You used to be able to smart select an image with an address, extract the text and have it input in maps for navigation.

Also, you are unable to do anything with the text except share it with others

This phone needs that. Right now, if i get an address the doesn't hyperlink for me, I have to open memo, shrink and move so i can write while seeing the address, which usually makes the memo too small to fit it legibly.

Then, you can link to action. Smart select handled this use case on the note 4. On the note 5 it's just another way to highlight text or send a screen shot. On the note 4 it was a unique feature. Here, it's just redundant.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is an OCR app in the Samsung store that is supposed to do a work around for this. It was discussed the first week the phone came out.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
There is an OCR app in the Samsung store that is supposed to do a work around for this. It was discussed the first week the phone came out.

Actually, I find it to work very well and be very accurate. It gives you the option of saving in a variety of format including as text. The saved document is saved in the OCR app folder on your phone not Snote. It can be accessed from the My Files OEM app.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, not really. It won't perform ocr, it only works if you highlight actual text. Text on images won't be read. Actual text is already selectable, so this isn't all that useful.

I agree. This feature needs to return. It doesn't make sense that they would get rid of it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
There is a workaround. If you highlight an address using the S-pen and share it to s-note you can simply tap on the link it creates to open maps. It's not as simple as it was before, but it's something.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I did a video chat with a Samsung rep, and they told me they couldn't find nothing posted or listed for the reason why it was removed. Samsung have no explanation.

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
There is a similar option. Could even be the one you are talking about. If you are using the stock keyboard there is a button next to the "sym" button which gives many options such as clipboard, handwriting, voice. Among those options is an icon for OCR. So you could instantly share or save extracted stuff straight from the keyboard.

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
There is a similar option. Could even be the one you are talking about. If you are using the stock keyboard there is a button next to the "sym" button which gives many options such as clipboard, handwriting, voice. Among those options is an icon for OCR. So you could instantly share or save extracted stuff straight from the keyboard.

Wow, that is a great find!

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow, that is a great find!
hope it helps. Yet you cannot navigate directly though. And that method isn't through smart select.
If you want to extract through smart select, you can install "Google goggles" And once it's in the system. You can do a smart capture and goto share options. And you should see Google goggles there. This will allow OCR through smart select.

wikimeee

May 5, 2016
Visit site
You just need to install an application called Optical Reader from sumsung store. It will works as before.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
It is still there, use smart select and select the lasso tool. Then just draw an oval or rectangle around the text you want. Smart select will then cut out the area you selected. You should be a box with a T in it to the top right of the area you cut out. Once you click on it, it will have the option to share that text to apps, messaging, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay