08-25-2015 07:18 PM
83 1234
tools
    You know that you are supposed to use the power button to power-up your phone, right? If the phone was ruined by you hitting a volume button by mistake, you would be OK with it? I would say that a phone should not be designed that way.
    I hit the volume button all the time by mistake when the phone is not on and amazingly the phone has never bricked while it was powered off. I must just be a lucky guy.
    08-25-2015 05:59 PM
    Reminder - Phil is asking how Samsung should fix this -- not who is to blame (the user or Samsung).

I wanna hear your suggestions on what Samsung should do to make this right. Recall? (That's worst-case, right?) Warranty swap for those who did the dumb deed? Quick redesign? Something else?

Let's hear your suggestions!
    jdbii likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:01 PM
    ^^
    Moderator Note:
    Most of us were in the initial thread and all of the commentary there about avoiding trolling, following PUPPAH, etc. - as well as those warnings
    here - still apply. If you have solutions, please feel free to add them here. This is not the place for casting blame, trolling or generally just being a menace to everyone's eyes.

Thanks!
    08-25-2015 06:02 PM
    The flaw isn't in the pen, it's in the switch designed to detect when the pen has been removed. It's a switch that moves out when the s-pen is removed. When you put the s-pen in backwards the clicky catches and breaks the switch.

Samsung could have used a magnetic sensor, or they could have designed the switch to not catch on the top, so that nothing would catch it, it just moved in and out....remove the sharp or abrupt switch and replace with a rounded catch. Otherwise a small magnet built in to the s-pen that could be sensed by another sensor in the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Aquila, Delirious D, jdbii and 2 others like this.
    08-25-2015 06:05 PM
    The flaw isn't in the pen, it's in the switch designed to detect when the pen has been removed. It's a switch that moves out when the s-pen is removed. When you put the s-pen in backwards the clicky catches and breaks the switch.

Samsung could have used a magnetic sensor, or they could have designed the switch to not catch on the top, so that nothing would catch it, it just moved in and out....remove the sharp or abrupt switch and replace with a rounded catch. Otherwise a small magnet built in to the s-pen that could be sensed by another sensor in the phone.

Just an FYI that everybody doesn't know .. Magnets and Note screens do not play well together. That is why women stopped buying the wallet cases with the magnet on the flap.
    08-25-2015 06:08 PM
    Nothing in the manual, just read it cover to cover, and read the warranty and safety information.

Did the phone come with the manual preinstalled? A link to it, something that would give a consumer a reasonable expectation that there was more they should read? NO!

Warranty replacement and they should send out a consumer product alert. Otherwise, all phones are covered under a 2 week worry free warranty guarantee anyways, so fault isn't really an issue. They are going to replace it anyways, and use your old phone to make refurbished ones.

GalaticBoar likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:12 PM
    Maybe if samsung fixed the phones that have been damaged, and then send out an update that us a simple warning to not do this.

If Samsung said they will repair the broken phones for the 30 days, and only charge shipping, that might be good. I am not saying i think they should, but it would be good PR on their part.

08-25-2015 06:13 PM
    Here is Samsung's response to the situation

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08...elessly-stuck/

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    08-25-2015 06:13 PM
    I agree that they should warranty those that have been damaged so far and put in a mechanical fix for future batches. You can't prevent stupid, but you can mitigate the damage that stupid causes. This puts them at risk for losing future customers. Stupid, smart, careless, careful - they all are using green money.
    08-25-2015 06:15 PM
    Apparently it's in the manual
    What should Samsung do about the stuck S Pen thing?-uploadfromtaptalk1440544702470.jpeg

Paul Paradis likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:18 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440544702470.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	193106

Is that all they should do, or should they do something to correct the issue?
    08-25-2015 06:24 PM
    Is that all they should do, or should they do something to correct the issue?
    Well this is how I see it
    If it's in the manual, and a user does the opposite, Samsung should not be responsible and should not have to do anything

Now it would be nice of them to replace the devices, especially if it becomes a widespread, but I think ultimately they shouldn't have to do anything themselves... Hopefully the user's warranty will be able to correct this

artteacher6 likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:27 PM
    If designers always said "just don't do that" in response to a common user error facilitated by their designs, things would kind of be terrible.

Yes, of course it's a user error, and very unlikely one, but at the same time it is a design flaw. "Just insert it the right way" is like Apple saying "You're holding it wrong." People saying "Just don't let your two-year-old near your phone" clearly never had a two-year-old.

Two sentences in the user's manual and Samsung's statement are a cheap cop-out. They are obviously well aware of this issue, but didn't bother to redesign it. That's a "It's a feature, not a bug"-esque level right here.

A simple redesign of the S-Pen with a thicker end that prevents inserting it the wrong way - just like they did on previous Notes (which begs the question why they did bother to do so in the past) - would be nice. As for the already damaged devices: be accomodating and replace them. It makes for good press, too.
    Delirious D and artteacher6 like this.
    08-25-2015 06:28 PM
    Well this is how I see it
    If it's in the manual, and a user does the opposite, Samsung should not be responsible and should not have to do anything

Now it would be nice of them to replace the devices, especially if it becomes a widespread, but I think ultimately they shouldn't have to do anything themselves... Hopefully the user's warranty will be able to correct this

My take is that "doing nothing" means that this isn't covered by the warranty. So you're good with them leaving the flaw as is, if they're willing to throw the users a bone who break it this way? Like a one time thing? I think that's been suggested, I could get on board with that.
    08-25-2015 06:28 PM
    If designers always said "just don't do that" in response to a common user error facilitated by their designs, things would kind of be terrible.

Yes, of course it's a user error, and very unlikely one, but at the same time it is a design flaw. "Just insert it the right way" is like Apple saying "You're holding it wrong." People saying "Just don't let your 2-year-old near your phone" clearly never had a two-year-old.

Two sentences in the user's manual and Samsung's statement are a cheap cop-out. They are obviously well aware of this issue, but didn't bother to redesign it. That's a "It's a feature, not a bug"-esque level right here.
    So you're more in favor of this being fixed in future devices? What do they do with the ones currently out there? Recall? Warranty repairs? Let them rot?
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:29 PM
    My take is that "doing nothing" means that this isn't covered by the warranty. So you're good with them leaving the flaw as is, if they're willing to throw the users a bone who break it this way? Like a one time thing? I think that's been suggested, I could get on board with that.
    Personally I don't see it as a flaw at all
    I don't think it should be covered in Samsung's warranty, but surely a 3rd party warranty provider can cover it

People could abuse it... Possiblly intentionally insert their pens backwards in efforts to get a new replacement phone for free... If this was to be done, there would have to be a process, or. I think there should be a cost to do so... Not free

08-25-2015 06:32 PM
    I have a Note 3 that will not allow its spen to go in backwards. It was designed this way not by accident. It was designed this way in order to prevent accidents.

Yet, somehow Samsung forgot this when designing the Note 5 and now wants the user to be responsible for their design error?

The warning in the instruction manual is saying to me, " Don't forget that we forgot to design the N5 s-pen like the N3 s-pen. If you do and put the pen in backwards, you may break your phone. It's then your fault." Instead or besides this warning, a more responsible thing for Samsung to do is to admit their oversight, redesign the pen and make an exchange, as quickly as possible.

Posted via Android Central App
    artteacher6 likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:33 PM

Well a CD can fit both ways in a CD drive, but u know to out a CD in the data side down... Putting it in the or other way could damage the CD Drive or get the CD stuck...do CD companies have to design the CD Drive to accept the CD one way? Unless they have already

erasat likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:35 PM
    Personally I don't see it as a flaw at all
    I don't think it should be covered in Samsung's warranty, but surely a 3rd party warranty provider can cover it

People could abuse it... Possiblly intentionally insert their pens backwards in efforts to get a new replacement phone for free... If this was to be done, there would have to be a process, or. I think there should be a cost to do so... Not free

So if you're Sammy - and BGR and Android Police et al are pushing out rubbish about your device because it gets people hot and reading and typing and sharing and OMG THE SCANDAL! You want to close your eyes and hope it goes away? Or try to get in front of it somehow? Whether deserved or not, this is going to be portrayed as Samsung's fault. Obviously it's a business decision, cost of repairs vs opportunity cost of lost sales, etc.. tough call.
    08-25-2015 06:35 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440544702470.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	193106

That manual screen shot is for some online PDF that isn't shipped with the phone. At least two people on this thread (me and Dridas) took the time to actually read the manuals that came with our phones. No, we found nothing, not even a mentioning of this other online manual. Sorry this "it's in the manual" argument does not hold water at all
    dridas and artteacher6 like this.
    08-25-2015 06:36 PM
    Did anybody actually get a manual with their note 5?

08-25-2015 06:37 PM
    So if you're Sammy - and BGR and Android Police et al are pushing out rubbish about your device because it gets people hot and reading and typing and sharing and OMG THE SCANDAL! You want to close your eyes and hope it goes away? Or try to get in front of it somehow? Whether deserved or not, this is going to be portrayed as Samsung's fault. Obviously it's a business decision, cost of repairs vs opportunity cost of lost sales, etc.. tough call.
    Well that's what I'm saying, if it becomes too widespread, they will have to address the issue but I don't think they necessarily have to fix every device... This would just open a floodgate of small issues that Samsung would have to fix because the media is boasting it...

08-25-2015 06:38 PM
    That manual screen shot is for some online PDF that isn't shipped with the phone. At least two people on this thread (me and Dridas) took the time to actually read the manuals that came with our phones. No, we found nothing, not even a mentioning of this other online manual. Sorry this "it's in the manual" argument does not hold water at all
    Most people don't even read the manuals anyways... I never opened my manual, but I'm pretty aware of how the phone functions and what goes where and how

08-25-2015 06:40 PM
    a more responsible thing for Samsung to do is to admit their oversight, redesign the pen and make an exchange, as quickly as possible.
    That'd kill their profits, literally 0. Over 150,000 units recalled * 200-300 BOM = over $30,000,000 out the door for no additional sales. It may be the most desirable thing from a person who wants zero faulty devices out there, but every company has to weigh the cost of a recall vs the cost of liability.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:40 PM
    very very negligent from Samsung. will return tomorrow and see if they are also more arrogant and not accept to replace.
    my device is 4 days old, now its not functional because of this mistake.
    08-25-2015 06:45 PM
83 1234