What should Samsung do about the stuck S Pen thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Having a lot of horsepower is like having a stylus that can easily be inserted backwards? Are your suggesting that people want a design flaw in their phone in the same way they want horsepower in their sports cars?

My car may not have cost $100k. But if it had flaw similar to the one with the Note 5, I would be upset. If, say, my seat belt system would stop working because I accidentally twisted the belt and inserted the tab backwards, I would call that a design flaw.

Do you really need me to tighten up my analogy for you to get it?

Let me make it simple for you:

Don't let your toddler play with your $800 mini computer that's made for adults. Who, incidentally, are the idiots that inserted the pen backwards, because no one has blamed their kid (yet..)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should do nothing further and the 2 articles I have read claiming this is a flaw in the phone are wrong in my opinion. The flaw is in the users who don't take the time to learn to use their equipment properly.
I mean really, what guy (or gal for that matter) doesn't know the pointy end goes in first :-!

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple iPhone 6 had "bend-gate"

Note 5 has "pen-gate"...

I can hear the fanboys now. ..lmao

Posted via the Android Central App

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
That's not even close to an equal comparison lol
And even if it did, I have no one to blame but myself if it was common knowledge not to do that

It's common knowledge (to the majority of people) that the S-Pen shouldn't go backwards I think

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

Is it common knowledge to be extra careful to make sure you are not inserting a stylus into a phone backwards, and that if you do, it will cause significant damage? I certainly have never heard of such a thing before. I guess I expect a certain level of design competence for the products I purchase.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to redesign the pen to not fit backward in the hole, but still be flush with the device? Hmmm...I think the device itself would have to be redesigned.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh man you have too much faith in humanity.
I work in I.T. and I still get asked "which is the power cord?" Or "which is the phone cord" 2 things that have been around before I was born.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

On the IBM PC it was "what is the big red paddle switch for" LOL

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it common knowledge to be extra careful to make sure you are not inserting a stylus into a phone backwards, and that if you do, it will cause significant damage? I certainly have never heard of such a thing before. I guess I expect a certain level of design competence for the products I purchase.
It's like it's common knowledge not to stick a knife into an electric outlet... If u get permanently injured... Are u gonna blame the electric company?

Or another example...putting deseil fuel into a Toyota corolla... If it damages the car... Whose fault is that?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you really need me to tighten up my analogy for you to get it?

Let me make it simple for you:

Don't let your toddler play with your $800 mini computer that's made for adults. Who, incidentally, are the idiots that inserted the pen backwards, because no one has blamed their kid (yet..)

Given your statement that this is a mistake that adults are making, I'm not sure the significance of your comments about toddlers. I think anyone who knows anything about design understands that designers have a responsibility to anticipate and moderate problems like this one.

I've mentioned a hypothetical here a couple times that postulates a phone which is ruined if a person tries to power it on with a volume button. If I were an engineer working on such a device, I wouldn't put a warning in an online manual. I would change the wiring so this was no longer a problem. Likewise with the stylus. A trivial change to the design, which would likely have cost nothing, would have protected people's devices from being significantly damaged from a predictable mistake. As a consumer, you should be expected that minimal level of competence.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On the IBM PC it was "what is the big red paddle switch for" LOL
The one drives me bonkers is whan they hunt around for a paper clip and insert it into the tiny *** red button that says reset and then act surprised when nothing works. Because reset means power cycle :l

Like yea let me ask you to press the big red reset button on your ipad.. you know to shut it down lol

That's off topic

S-pen rocks.. yea maybe samsung didn't think to put a clip or locking mechanism inside to prevent the clicky stick from getting stuck but you also can't blame them for your mistake. This is a multimillion dollar company that not only manufactures different cell phone models at once but tvs, blurays,speakers, computers, washing machines, refrigerators, etc, so EXXXXXXXXXCUSE them for not thinking 2 people (as far as we know) out of the thousands of note 5 customers made a booboo with their stick.

That's like the guy getting mad because samsung doesn't design with lefties in mind. Its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

Sent using my gorgeous Korean Phone and its clicky stick...

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You know that you are supposed to use the power button to power-up your phone, right? If the phone was ruined by you hitting a volume button by mistake, you would be OK with it? I would say that a phone should not be designed that way.

I hit the volume button all the time by mistake when the phone is not on and amazingly the phone has never bricked while it was powered off. I must just be a lucky guy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Reminder - Phil is asking how Samsung should fix this -- not who is to blame (the user or Samsung).

I wanna hear your suggestions on what Samsung should do to make this right. Recall? (That's worst-case, right?) Warranty swap for those who did the dumb deed? Quick redesign? Something else?

Let's hear your suggestions!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
^^
Moderator Note:
Most of us were in the initial thread and all of the commentary there about avoiding trolling, following PUPPAH, etc. - as well as those warnings
here - still apply. If you have solutions, please feel free to add them here. This is not the place for casting blame, trolling or generally just being a menace to everyone's eyes.

Thanks!

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
The flaw isn't in the pen, it's in the switch designed to detect when the pen has been removed. It's a switch that moves out when the s-pen is removed. When you put the s-pen in backwards the clicky catches and breaks the switch.

Samsung could have used a magnetic sensor, or they could have designed the switch to not catch on the top, so that nothing would catch it, it just moved in and out....remove the sharp or abrupt switch and replace with a rounded catch. Otherwise a small magnet built in to the s-pen that could be sensed by another sensor in the phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The flaw isn't in the pen, it's in the switch designed to detect when the pen has been removed. It's a switch that moves out when the s-pen is removed. When you put the s-pen in backwards the clicky catches and breaks the switch.

Samsung could have used a magnetic sensor, or they could have designed the switch to not catch on the top, so that nothing would catch it, it just moved in and out....remove the sharp or abrupt switch and replace with a rounded catch. Otherwise a small magnet built in to the s-pen that could be sensed by another sensor in the phone.

Just an FYI that everybody doesn't know .. Magnets and Note screens do not play well together. That is why women stopped buying the wallet cases with the magnet on the flap.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Nothing in the manual, just read it cover to cover, and read the warranty and safety information.

Did the phone come with the manual preinstalled? A link to it, something that would give a consumer a reasonable expectation that there was more they should read? NO!

Warranty replacement and they should send out a consumer product alert. Otherwise, all phones are covered under a 2 week worry free warranty guarantee anyways, so fault isn't really an issue. They are going to replace it anyways, and use your old phone to make refurbished ones.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe if samsung fixed the phones that have been damaged, and then send out an update that us a simple warning to not do this.

If Samsung said they will repair the broken phones for the 30 days, and only charge shipping, that might be good. I am not saying i think they should, but it would be good PR on their part.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that they should warranty those that have been damaged so far and put in a mechanical fix for future batches. You can't prevent stupid, but you can mitigate the damage that stupid causes. This puts them at risk for losing future customers. Stupid, smart, careless, careful - they all are using green money.

Status
Not open for further replies.