How to run two apps simultaneously?

MisterShark

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm not talking about running apps that are special coded for split screen, I'm talking about running one app in a smaller window with another app running behind it in full screen.

I used to do this with my Note 4. It's probably easiest to illustrate what I'm talking about with an example: I used to run Clash of Clans full screen, press and hold the 'back' button until a side menu would pop up which would give me a bunch of apps to select from which I could run in a smaller window over the top of the full screen Clash of Clans. Clash of Clans would continue to be active, and I could click things on that app's screen while BBM's smaller window could be moved around to wherever I wanted to put it and minimize it if I wanted to. I would often have Clash of Clans running and open BBM in the smaller window to chat with friend while I waited for my troops to be ready for my next raid.

I can't figure out how to do this on my Note 5. Maybe they removed this feature?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Pull the app you want in the smaller window down from the top corner in a motion towards the center of the screen and then open the other app and it will open in the background, if I'm understanding what you're asking. See attachment.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 706.jpg
    706.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 126

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen, the back button won't launch it like it did on Note 5. So I do have to start with the one I want to shrink first and then shrink it, and then go into what I want to work full screen. This is annoying because I often only realize what I need a smaller window for once I'm already in it..which I can not do on the Note 5. I have a feeling this was a design oversight.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I had to play around with this a little bit more.

Open both apps in split window, then minimize the one you want me be in the floating (small) window. This will cause the other app to go full screen. When you open the one you minimized, it will open in the small floating window. This is the easiest way I've found.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I had to play around with this a little bit more.

Open both apps in split window, then minimize the one you want me be in the floating (small) window. This will cause the other app to go full screen. When you open the one you minimized, it will open in the small floating window. This is the easiest way I've found.

Good idea, that worked. Thanks for the suggestion and I actually like it better than the old back-button way because the back-button didn't always work correctly with launching the small window.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Or you can do this - once you have the app open that you want full screen, tap the multitasking/ recent apps button, scroll through your recent apps and find the one you want open in a minimized window, then long press on the app until the screen switches. You'll then have the full screen app and the one you long pressed in the recent apps will be in a minimized window on top.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Or you can do this - once you have the app open that you want full screen, tap the multitasking/ recent apps button, scroll through your recent apps and find the one you want open in a minimized window, then long press on the app until the screen switches. You'll then have the full screen app and the one you long pressed in the recent apps will be in a minimized window on top.

Awesome find, thanks. That's very easy and quick.

MisterShark

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I came upon a video that shows how to do the split screen dual app thing but it looks like in order to do it the both apps need to be coded to work with it. For instance (from my first example) Clash of Clans isn't coded for split screen compatibility, so it appears that I can't do it as I used to on the Note 4.
With the Note 4 you could use an app that isn't coded for split screen (Clash of Clans) and then select from apps that are coded for it which would run as your smaller window.

Oh well.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Turns out that press and hold an app from the recent apps screen to get the small floating window version of the app works on the note 4 as well!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca