03-01-2016 01:02 PM
128 1234 ...
tools
    Ditto to the hotel comment. An IR blaster is extremely helpful to me as I travel frequently and do not want to handle hotel remote controls. Hotel remote controls harbor high levels of bacteria, which are foreign to ones body.

I seriously do not understand the rationale for Samsung removing the differentiating attributes that made their phones different from iPhones (removable battery, SD card, IR blaster). How can Samsung management not comprehend that many consumers, especially influential technology enthusiasts, bought Samsung precisely because the company offered products that were distinctly different from Apple's? To the extent their products converge and become more similar to Apple's, consumers have fewer reasons to continue opting for a different choice than the masses who blindly buy iPhones. In the long run, this would hurt sales and create a vicious cycle. I'm just at a loss for what Samsung is doing.

Posted via Android Central App
    T_M likes this.
    08-14-2015 08:43 PM
    Whenever my family & I rent a vacation house there is something wrong with the TV remote... and it's not always a problem with the batteries. The IR blasters on our Galaxy S4 and Note 4 have been a big help at those times. At home I use it far less often but from time to time it's handy. It's a feature I would have kept in the Note 5. Why not keep it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    droidntn likes this.
    08-14-2015 09:50 PM
    I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
    Why would they not put it on a new device?
    Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.
    I AM SO TICKED OFF! I USE THE IR BLASTER DAILY! I am a security tech that travels from MA, NC to OH. I install monitors and stay in hotels... I also use the S Pen regularly (though not as much)... SO TICKED OFF. It's a good thing I own a Gear 2, but the Gear 2 IR isn't as good. Plus I will have to purchase another app... I may consider the S6 Edge+ more now but then I loose the S Pen...
    08-15-2015 12:20 AM
    That was a stupid move the IR blaster came in handy whenever I Lost my controller N4 one more year

08-15-2015 07:49 AM
    Use mine everyday.. I always can't find my remote lol

cvaria likes this.
    08-15-2015 11:07 AM
    i always use it. in hotels that restrict the "source" function, ir bypasses it to let you stream via hdmi dongles etc. used it walking around the house, in bbar etc.. it was a tool that has always been useful. samsung us destroying itself for no reason. there is now no reason to even consider samsung over apple. just buy an iphone... why buy a fake for the same price?
    08-15-2015 07:59 PM
    i always use it. in hotels that restrict the "source" function, ir bypasses it to let you stream via hdmi dongles etc. used it walking around the house, in bbar etc.. it was a tool that has always been useful. samsung us destroying itself for no reason. there is now no reason to even consider samsung over apple. just buy an iphone... why buy a fake for the same price?
    Seriously? This is the deciding factor on which phone you want?

You're talking about hotels... you pack a bag when you go to a hotel, right? How painful would it be for you to toss a $6 universal remote in your bag? Is your phone really your only option for a remote control?
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-15-2015 09:31 PM
    Just finished binge watching programs on Chromecast,
    I Love the IR Blaster!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"
    08-15-2015 10:49 PM
    Just finished binge watching programs on Chromecast,
    I Love the IR Blaster!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"
    The Chromecast shouldn't need IR -- Should just being going through wifi.
    08-15-2015 11:16 PM
    The IR remote is what I show off to iPhone when I want to look cool. Samsung stole that from me.

08-15-2015 11:38 PM
    The Chromecast shouldn't need IR -- Should just being going through wifi.
    I use it to also control my TV, volume, pause, etc.
    08-16-2015 01:20 AM
    I use it to also control my TV, volume, pause, etc.
    Ah okay .
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:23 AM
    I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
    Why would they not put it on a new device?
    Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.
    They probably have data that says it wasn't being used by enough people.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-16-2015 03:23 AM
    Ah never thought of that. I just use wifi for my AC -- I bought a Nest .
    He's more or less talking about Window units that use an ir remote which is about all of them now. But i have a nest too and it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Almeuit likes this.
    08-16-2015 07:06 AM
    They probably have data that says it wasn't being used by enough people.

So then sammy removed the feature, charge a higher price, tick off the users that bought the galaxy line for that feature. Logical.

08-16-2015 07:11 AM
    It just seems so puzzling that Samsung removed items from its phone that differentiated it from an iPhone. I can't believe there is people who try to defend this. If you don't use it then it won't bother you if it's there but if you do it will bother you when it's not. Why remove these options? I bought Samsung despite my dislike of their software design because I liked having the options that differentiated them. Now those are gone so I am too.

08-16-2015 07:31 AM
    So then sammy removed the feature, charge a higher price, tick off the users that bought the galaxy line for that feature. Logical.

If your next phone needs that feature, buy one that has it.

debdroid1a likes this.
    08-16-2015 11:33 AM
    He's more or less talking about Window units that use an ir remote which is about all of them now. But i have a nest too and it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Ohhh wow .. I didn't even go to that realm of thought lol. That makes a lot more sense .
    08-16-2015 12:43 PM
    I use mine daily to control
    Tv
    Denon Amp
    Digibox
    3 remotes stay in a draw hidden ,IR blaster is really handy,why on earth did samsung remove it ?

Jalopiejoe and zecha46 like this.
    08-16-2015 12:46 PM
    I use mine daily to control
    Tv
    Denon Amp
    Digibox
    3 remotes stay in a draw hidden ,IR blaster is really handy,why on earth did samsung remove it ?

Probably because whatever market research they did found that not a lot of users used the IR blaster.

It's a shame that they removed it, because I do find it useful in many situations, but there are other phones that have it. In fact, 3 out of the 4 phones in my signature have IR blasters.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-18-2015 07:04 AM
    If your next phone needs that feature, buy one that has it.

I don't need it but was just pointing out an obvious flaw.
    08-19-2015 04:13 AM
    No IR blaster, no SD card, no Removable battery, only 32Gb for Australia at $1,099, seriously, are we sure their not in North Korea!!
    08-19-2015 05:04 AM
    Personally I thought this was a bit of a gimmick, I used it once when I first had a Sammy with it, but that was it.

TV remote much easier.

But saying that, I can see why some people find it useful.

Now one thing I couldn't do without is the YouTube TV play button on the app!
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-19-2015 05:34 AM
    Some say market research says it isn't used, I would guess market research said they could cut it out and save a few dollars per phone and the market would stomach the loss and still buy the phone. I used mine a lot.
    At the YMCA and the TV was on the wrong channel or the volume too high.
    At a restaurant and the volume too high
    Hotel and the remote is missing, or I just don't want to use it because the ewww factor.
    Any waiting room like the doctors office and the girls behind the counter have "the view" on with the volume cranked up I drop it down a bit or
    just change the channel if no one is watching it.
    ceiling fans
    I rented a condo in Florida for a few weeks and the remote was not working, it is a great immediate backup.
    etc, etc, etc.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-20-2015 02:01 PM
    I use mine quite frequently at drivers lounges around the country, plus for my nikon, air conditioner at home and most other devices. It doesn't really bother me that its not on the new note. Coming from a Note II to a Note V is a huge step forward. Besides, I have a Samsung Gear 2 watch. It has the IR blaster on it, and its what I'm used to using.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-20-2015 02:18 PM
128 1234 ...