03-01-2016 01:02 PM
128 12345 ...
tools
    This is the main thing I will miss from my Note Edge, but the Note 5 64 gb is moving quicker and smoother.
    08-20-2015 02:24 PM
    I would guess less than 5% of users use it and they had better things internally to take up space then an IR blaster.
    08-20-2015 02:24 PM
    I am curious why Samsung seems to be abandoning the IR blaster. It's not just on the Note 5...the new S6 Edge+ does not have it, nor does the new "supposed" flagship Galaxy S2 Tablets.

It's not for all I suppose, but it is a critical feature for me. The TV controls can be accessed at the lock screen so it's not like you have to go through a bunch of steps to pull up the remote app vs just picking up the normal remote.

If you do launch the full app (Samsung's Peel app), you can set it to provide reminders when flagged TV shows come on, you can view the channel listing to see what's playing....and can jump directly to that channel by clicking on it in the guide. It's particularly helpful for me since I've returned my cable box & have gone to Netflix / Hulu Plus for on demand service.

As others have mentioned....it's helpful when you have multiple TVs in the house, when you're at a sports bar....or when you're at a friend's house that has an iPhone, and they never suspect it's you (and not a ghost) turning their TV on & off with your phone LOL

It's a unique feature among most smartphones and the tie-breaker for me when considering competing flagship Android devices.

Add this to the rest of the nonsensical choices coming out of that company (anyone see the Tab S2 specs?)
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-20-2015 02:27 PM
    I'd be interested to see the basis of your estimate. Since nearly all TVs & Home Theatre equipment still use infrared signals, there seems to be plenty of opportunities to use that feature. If you've ever cracked open a smartphone....the IR blaster takes little to no space inside the device. The cost has to be negligible as well...given how relatively affordable other components are.

I chalk this one up to Samsung's bean counters figuring they can shave 50 cents - 1 dollar per unit by leaving it out...in effort to reduce costs, or meet some other financial metric. While it may not be 5%, someone at Samsung figured the loses would not outweigh whatever the benefit was.

That's unfortunate.....I love Samsung's hardware more than the other Android manufactures, but Samsung isn't the only serious player in the Android space anymore. Now that I have nothing to lose with the IR blaster missing....I have no regrets going with a Nexus device.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-20-2015 02:35 PM
    Hate to break it to you but they removed the IR blaster from the S6 Edge+ as well.....no idea why...
    08-20-2015 02:39 PM
    I use mine quite frequently at drivers lounges around the country, plus for my nikon, air conditioner at home and most other devices. It doesn't really bother me that its not on the new note. Coming from a Note II to a Note V is a huge step forward. Besides, I have a Samsung Gear 2 watch. It has the IR blaster on it, and its what I'm used to using.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    There is the reason they left it out....you want IR capabilities on your Sammy phone, you buy the watch too! lol
    Jalopiejoe and amiebelote1229 like this.
    08-20-2015 02:53 PM
    There is the reason they left it out....you want IR capabilities on your Sammy phone, you buy the watch too! lol
    Hey, I enjoy the watch lol, I feel like Inspector Gadget when I use it lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-20-2015 03:04 PM
    I have the fear 2 watch but it contains only the most rudimentary controls. My Note 3 controls every function...EVERY function...of my Sammy smart tv and Xfinity cable box and many other devices in my home. I even use it to change the channel at the table tv in the bar I frequent. I only change my own individual tv at my booth not the big tv's over the bar. The barflies would skin me alive if I mess with their golf channel.

I use an app I downloaded from playstore.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-20-2015 03:15 PM
    Oh the good times when you could transfer data between phones with IR... At least some of the old Nokia's had this functionality.
    08-21-2015 02:30 AM
    Oh the good times when you could transfer data between phones with IR... At least some of the old Nokia's had this functionality.
    Oh my.. that sure brought back memories from 1990s! I still have a couple of old but mint condition Nokia 6310i phones.
    08-21-2015 04:40 AM
    Forget deal breaker or not. I slowed down using it because the app is internally bloated. Can't stand the advertisement pop ups when I'm trying to just turn up the volume on my TV.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-21-2015 08:04 AM
    Forget deal breaker or not. I slowed down using it because the app is internally bloated. Can't stand the advertisement pop ups when I'm trying to just turn up the volume on my TV.

There were many good third party remote apps though.
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-21-2015 08:13 AM
    I used it a grand total of 3 times on my S4, once on my Note 10.1, once on my Tab S, and exactly zero on my G Pad 8.3. Don't think I've even ever set it up. So not upset.
    08-21-2015 10:36 AM
    This sucks. I used to prank teachers at my school with it.

08-21-2015 11:49 AM
    I'd like to understand why people use the IR function.

In my home, almost all of the devices are controlled with RF or Bluetooth remotes, so I have no use for the IR capability on my Samsung phones. My projector, power projection screen control, HD DVR, TV, AV receiver, HTPC, PS3, as well room lighting switches all use RF or Bluetooth.
    08-21-2015 02:43 PM

Agreed. I liked using it until more & more pop-up seemed to appear.
    08-21-2015 03:13 PM

In my home, almost all of the devices are controlled with RF or Bluetooth remotes, so I have no use for the IR capability on my Samsung phones. My projector, power projection screen control, HD DVR, TV, AV receiver, HTPC, PS3, as well room lighting switches all use RF or Bluetooth.
    Because in my house they're not!
    08-21-2015 04:41 PM
    Because in my house they're not!
    I wonder if it's easier to use a Samsung phone(Note 4) to control all of my devices. When I get bored, I'll switch all of my devices from RF to IR and see how that goes. Although I probably wouldn't be able to control the HD DVR and AV receiver from my bedroom.
    08-21-2015 07:54 PM

I'm curious what models of projector, TV, DVR & AV receiver you have that operate off of RF / Bluetooth.

I just purchased a 2014 top line Samsung 1080p HDTV and it ONLY uses IR. (Oddly enough, my 2010 Samsung HDTV had RF & IR)

My 2014 Yamaha AV receiver does use Bluetooth, but only through Yamaha's app....which requires me to pull up a special application that only works with Yamaha to control it via Bluetooth. Otherwise, it works seamlessly with my TV controls via the Peel IR blaster app. (If I press channel up, it signals the TV....if I press volume up, it signals the AV receiver)

I don't need an apple remote or device to control my Apple TV with an IR blaster & Apple TV app on my Android phone.

While IR technology is dated, it's still being used on most Audio / Video equipment...particularly the low - mid range devices (the majority of devices sold)
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:07 AM
    So does the Note 5 come with an IR Blaster? Will I be able to set one up with the Note 5?
    08-26-2015 01:02 PM
    I personally use the IR blaster on my note 3 daily but my wife refuses to set he's up however she is always asking me to change the channel. One of the really nice features of the IR blaster in conjunction with the peel app is being able to set your favorite shows and channels within the built in tv guide. You see what you want on the guide and click on it. You don't have to surf though channels or key in several buttons to get to your show. One or 2 clicks and your there. Also no need to me more what channel is what and what channel your show is on. Just find your show in the guide and click. Not to forget I use the ir blaster for a number of other things like my lights fireplace AC unit fans and cameras. I'm not sure if I will be getting a note 5 yet mainly for this reason I might just get a 4 instead. My things is it was a feature not everyone used it but sill in yet some did. Some don't use the s-pen either but I wouldn't want to see it go. Keep the features and add too or upgrade stop removing them people do use them.
    08-26-2015 02:33 PM
    I never really used the IR blaster. The only time I really needed it was last night when I was sitting in the hospital waiting room, and the only thing that was on was infomercials. I pulled out my Note 4 and changed the channel. That made me reconsider upgrading.
    08-26-2015 02:42 PM
    No, Note 5 doesn't have IR HW. Therefore, you can't set one up.

Without IR blaster isn't a big deal for me. I had played with it on older Samsung phone, but soon after that I never used it. so, in my case it is not deal breaker.
    08-26-2015 02:46 PM
    I miss the IR blaster more than the expandable memory or replaceable battery. I miss turning off all the TV at a sports bar. LOL
    08-26-2015 02:52 PM
    After spending a day customizing my Note 5, I discover no ir blaster.....I'm just about done having a temper tantrum....chatted w/ Samsung and told them I'm returning it....blah blah....I believe the S6 has it, but not the S6Edge nor the Note 5.....some ***** made IMPROVEMENTS the these 2....I HOPE there are enough complaints that they will bring it back.....I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to trade in for an S6.......ARGGGGGH. I knew something was us when I used "MyAppSharer" and force fed the apk from my Note 4....went through 12 buttons nothing would turn on my TV or change channels w/ the cable box......Peels really got it together, great app
    Jalopiejoe likes this.
    08-26-2015 03:27 PM
128 12345 ...