Is the lack of an IR blaster a deal breaker in the Note 5?

Phil Nolan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why no IR blaster?

It's no deal breaker, but I really like the IR blaster on my Note 3. I don't use it every day but several times a week if the remote is across the room and I need to turn down the volume or turn the TV on/off. Plus it controls air conditioners too.

3kgt

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

Sucks for me 2.. Love the IR blaster..even make fun of people when in there homes buy changing there TV ☺
Its a downgrade and nothing else

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Funny thing. I missed all the Notes with the IR Blaster. I bought the Note2, passed on the 3 and 4 and am getting the Note5

I still use my Dell Axim X51v's IR blaster for many of my remote needs. Even after about 12 years, it's still going strong.

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Would like to know why they removed this capability. It's a great trick that iPhones can't replicate and I love using it at home, with a new Samsung TV in the Sunday School class I teach, and to mess with TV's in restaurants on occasion. The TV at church has Miracast built in so much Note 4 is a great companion device for it. I would miss not being able to control it completely with my phone. Might stay with N4 and see what develops.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Ditto to the hotel comment. An IR blaster is extremely helpful to me as I travel frequently and do not want to handle hotel remote controls. Hotel remote controls harbor high levels of bacteria, which are foreign to ones body.

I seriously do not understand the rationale for Samsung removing the differentiating attributes that made their phones different from iPhones (removable battery, SD card, IR blaster). How can Samsung management not comprehend that many consumers, especially influential technology enthusiasts, bought Samsung precisely because the company offered products that were distinctly different from Apple's? To the extent their products converge and become more similar to Apple's, consumers have fewer reasons to continue opting for a different choice than the masses who blindly buy iPhones. In the long run, this would hurt sales and create a vicious cycle. I'm just at a loss for what Samsung is doing.

Posted via Android Central App

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

Whenever my family & I rent a vacation house there is something wrong with the TV remote... and it's not always a problem with the batteries. The IR blasters on our Galaxy S4 and Note 4 have been a big help at those times. At home I use it far less often but from time to time it's handy. It's a feature I would have kept in the Note 5. Why not keep it?

T_M

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
Why would they not put it on a new device?
Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.

I AM SO TICKED OFF! I USE THE IR BLASTER DAILY! I am a security tech that travels from MA, NC to OH. I install monitors and stay in hotels... I also use the S Pen regularly (though not as much)... SO TICKED OFF. It's a good thing I own a Gear 2, but the Gear 2 IR isn't as good. Plus I will have to purchase another app... I may consider the S6 Edge+ more now but then I loose the S Pen...

bigdogburger

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

That was a stupid move the IR blaster came in handy whenever I Lost my controller N4 one more year

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

i always use it. in hotels that restrict the "source" function, ir bypasses it to let you stream via hdmi dongles etc. used it walking around the house, in bbar etc.. it was a tool that has always been useful. samsung us destroying itself for no reason. there is now no reason to even consider samsung over apple. just buy an iphone... why buy a fake for the same price?

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

i always use it. in hotels that restrict the "source" function, ir bypasses it to let you stream via hdmi dongles etc. used it walking around the house, in bbar etc.. it was a tool that has always been useful. samsung us destroying itself for no reason. there is now no reason to even consider samsung over apple. just buy an iphone... why buy a fake for the same price?

Seriously? This is the deciding factor on which phone you want?

You're talking about hotels... you pack a bag when you go to a hotel, right? How painful would it be for you to toss a $6 universal remote in your bag? Is your phone really your only option for a remote control?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Just finished binge watching programs on Chromecast,
I Love the IR Blaster!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

The IR remote is what I show off to iPhone when I want to look cool. Samsung stole that from me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
Why would they not put it on a new device?
Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.

They probably have data that says it wasn't being used by enough people.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Ah never thought of that. I just use wifi for my AC -- I bought a Nest :D.

He's more or less talking about Window units that use an ir remote which is about all of them now. But i have a nest too and it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

They probably have data that says it wasn't being used by enough people.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

So then sammy removed the feature, charge a higher price, tick off the users that bought the galaxy line for that feature. Logical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles