Is the lack of an IR blaster a deal breaker in the Note 5?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why no IR blaster?

It was a convenient feature, but not at all needed imo. I'll just go back to using remotes and voice command like the rest of the world.

Posted via the Android Central App
Try doing that in a waiting room where they hide the remote and put women panel shows all day

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Not gonna lie, It almost kept me from buying this phone but I'm glad I didn't let it hold me back. I still have the note tablet with the IR blaster so I still have the function available since when I'm at home I keep my tablet in arms reach. I know Samsung is trimming the fat off of all their phones to make them more streamlined, smooth experience but the IR blaster should be a mainstay. Yes get rid of some of the jedi motion gestures, some of the bloat (which ironically I found myself going to the galaxy app store to download some of it back), heck I don't even mind the dismissal of the SD and removable back! but Samsung needs to tread lightly on some of the good stuff ppl actually use.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)

Phones
Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5

Tablets
Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0, a few low budget tabs I care not to mention because they were terrible and not worthy of my memory.

Watch
Galaxy gear

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm a cord cutter. I use my Chromecast to run my Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Pandora, etc.

An IR blaster isn't necessary for me because when you hit the Cast button within one of those apps it automatically turns my TV on...

Brenda McKitric1

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
When I went into the Store to purchase my "s6 edge+", I had no idea the IR Blaster wasn't there! I was totally upset but didn't realize it was missing until a week later. It's not a deal breaker. I will sport this beauty until the next beauty comes along.

Last edited:

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Not for me I never used it on the HTC m8 iPhone don't have it (using it now till I change back to droid) and I don't think I'll care it's just something that takes up space in my eyes.
I wish Att would stop w their dumb bloat ware not one app do I use .
It's not like they GIVE us the phones! Even if I buy from Samsung would the bloat ware be there or can I avoid it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I can't stand using my phone as a remote. I hate having to look down at the phone to hit the right buttons and then back at the tv and then back at the phone again if I'm flipping between stations or just browsing. This is especially frustrating since I need reading glasses to see my phone screen, LOL! With my regular remote I know where all the buttons are by feel and can flip around without ever looking down. In fact, I only realized my preference for "physical" remotes when I went from Chromecast to the Amazon Firestick, which utilizes a separate remote. If I'm going to be a couch potato, then I want want to just lay back and click away! :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Not everybody has Chromcast and most of you are missing the point. At home you have remotes. Advantage of ir blaster is to control tvs etc somewhere else...or to mess with your wife if she grabbed remote first.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

I understand ppl who have used this feature before it may be a bummer that its not there but i really cant imagine this being a deal breaker to not buy this phone. Thats just crazy to me.

PoopooHead69

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

I never used the IR blaster on my Note 4 anyway. A real remote is always better. Im more disapointed about the lack of the sd slot and the smaller battery.

jeremyan2

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Based on the fact that you utilize the IR blaster daily (like I did), I would say its exclusion will annoy you daily. Peel's recent overhaul to their app is gorgeous, and that annoys me even more.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

I played around with this function on my older Note 3 and my S4 when I had it but honestly I never found it that useful. I have remotes where there needs to be remotes in the house so It's faster to pick up the remote to operate the devices than to pull out my phone and open a app to do the same. Plus for the main TV we have a Harmony remote that controls everything.

JBlinky67

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This IS a dealbreaker for me. Won't buy a device without it. Which means I'll probably have a Note 4 til the end of time. (And a removable battery, stylus, SD slot....)

Felix Soh

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. No IR Blaster means I'm staying with the Note 4 forever!!!
I skipped the note 5, if no ir blaster in note 6, I'm going to skip it too!!!
Come on Samsung!!! Wake up!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01