Is the lack of an IR blaster a deal breaker in the Note 5?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Why no IR blaster?

I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
Why would they not put it on a new device?
Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why no IR blaster?

I LOVE and USE daily my IR blaster on my N4 and my old S4.
Why would they not put it on a new device?
Must be something I'm not getting that's positive about it.
The note missing an IR blaster isnt a big deal to me. I along with mostly every other Samsung user I know, also have the Gear watches. They have the IR blaster on em. I don't need it on both devices.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm honestly upset they removed it as well, but its not a deal breaker for me

I never use my IR blaster on any of my devices. What am I missing with that feature? I get the whole tv thing but to me that's clunky and a remote is better or wifi control is better.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I never use my IR blaster on any of my devices. What am I missing with that feature? I get the whole tv thing but to me that's clunky and a remote is better or wifi control is better.

Its actually pretty useful if you have multiple TVs around the house. I'm in my room and change the channel, and if I go downstairs, which has a different brand TV, I can use the phone to still control it
It also controls the Verizon FIOS box, DVR, and my other devices

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Its actually pretty useful if you have multiple TVs around the house. I'm in my room and change the channel, and if I go downstairs, which has a different brand TV, I can use the phone to still control it
It also controls the Verizon FIOS box, DVR, and my other devices

Sadly this never worked for me since I have remotes in each of those rooms so if I go in there the remote is on the table where I sit so I can always change it. Pulling out my phone and doing it would actually take longer.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Sadly this never worked for me since I have remotes in each of those rooms so if I go in there the remote is on the table where I sit so I can always change it. Pulling out my phone and doing it would actually take longer.

Eh well yeah if you have the remotes in each room probably wouldn't need it, but its convenient if the remote is on the table, and you are on the couch, and you don't want to get up

Also I do not use Samsung's Peel app which sucks. I use this app called Smart Remote which is easy and works with almost every device, and you can switch between them instantly so its not that much longer

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I love this feature and for me it's a deal breaker. Luckily my S6 active still has it.

Posted via the Android Central App

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

I am in hotels a lot (~80% of the time) so an IR blaster is crucial. I never touch the disgusting hotel remotes.

Good thing I carry my Tab S with me. Samsung dropped the ball here. IR is a great feature, but oh well. iPhone it up Sammy!

zforray

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Stop thinking only TV's. I use my Note 3 IR to control my Canon 5D Mark ii DSLR. While this might not be a deal-breaker for me (I would use Note 3 for this and other IR purposes since I don't use it to control my camera THAT often), it would have been nice to keep that feature. I am at the end of my contract and am definitely on the fence about going Note 5 or jumping off the Samsung bandwagon and looking at the Motorola X Pure!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Stop thinking only TV's. I use my Note 3 IR to control my Canon 5D Mark ii DSLR. While this might not be a deal-breaker for me (I would use Note 3 for this and other IR purposes since I don't use it to control my camera THAT often), it would have been nice to keep that feature. I am at the end of my contract and am definitely on the fence about going Note 5 or jumping off the Samsung bandwagon and looking at the Motorola X Pure!

Oh I know some use it for other things besides TVs .. I was mainly saying for me it really is only TVs if I am to use it. On my S6 and now G4 I have used the blaster once or twice to test -- that was it.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I haven't used a TV remote in a over a year. My Note 4 took on that responsibility, and I use it often.

mi7chy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Have never used IR on my Note II or 3 so no loss. Guess I never bothered with the hassle of setting it up when I can just use the remote plus with devices like Chromecast there's less of a need for IR.

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

Have never used IR on my Note II or 3 so no loss. Guess I never bothered with the hassle of setting it up when I can just use the remote plus with devices like Chromecast there's less of a need for IR.

Note II never had an IR blaster...

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

No kidding. Also, my phone isn't surgically attached to my body like some people. My remote is where the TV is. My phone is wherever I happened to put it down.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

The missing blaster is in know way a deal breaker Mines is on the way should be here this weekend