can I buy Note 5 in Delaware tax free and save almost $82 in sales tax?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
For a full retail 64gb Note 5, I have to pay almost $82 in taxes if I buy it locally. (10.25% state and local sales tax)

Since I'm visiting my MIL in southern NJ next month, can I just go to a Best Buy or Verizon store in Delaware and buy it tax free? Google Maps shows the nearest location as 29 miles(37 minutes of driving time) from her house. Will Best Buy or Verizon store let me leave the store without activating the phone?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you call the VZW store and ask them this question before driving the almost 60 miles roundtrip?

I guess I should. I just didn't want to call them up and sound like I'm trying to dodge sales taxes. (or do most people who live near the Delaware border do that anyway?)

Edit: just called... the Verizon corporate store guy wanted to know how many I wanted. I said just one. Apparently out-of state people sometimes go in there an buy dozens of iPhones at a time.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I guess I should. I just didn't want to call them up and sound like I'm trying to dodge sales taxes. (or do most people who live near the Delaware border do that anyway?)

Edit: just called... the Verizon corporate store guy wanted to know how many I wanted. I said just one. Apparently out-of state people sometimes go in there an buy dozens of iPhones at a time.

Well then hurry up and save yourself some $$. That should be handy to help you purchase a nice wireless charger and a good case / screen protector!