09-03-2015 11:57 PM
74 123
tools
    My take is they should have given more thought into the design of the pen slot so that user can't put it back by accident or purposefully. Knowing Samsung they could have definitely thought about an intelligent solution to prevent this.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-27-2015 10:41 AM
    The Quick Start guide doesn't have it, unfortunately.

Phones don't come with full-on manuals now.
    Just to clarify, the screenshot I posted is from the User Guide. The installed User Guide is actually pretty comprehensive - please check it out for yourself if you have not seen it. There is another Getting to Know Your Phone paper pamphlet that also talks about the S Pen, again no warning there. I don't think the "read the manual" is a good response, if the manual didn't come with the phone, and there's nothing that came with the phone that points to the existence of the online manual.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-27-2015 10:43 AM
    I'm in the 100% user error camp, but it's something the engineers and designers should have accounted for. Its their job to reduce or eliminate user error, outside of things totally out of their control like jumping into a lake with the phone in a pocket. In this, I feel Samsung failed to meet expectations.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-27-2015 11:07 AM
    My take is they should have given more thought into the design of the pen slot so that user can't put it back by accident or purposefully. Knowing Samsung they could have definitely thought about an intelligent solution to prevent this.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    The difference is I can reverse my car into a parking spot and it won't be stuck. They designed it so I can pull out again.
    08-27-2015 11:31 AM
    Just be careful the way you out the pen in...sure Samsung could have made the design better, but that doesn't excuse user error...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    08-27-2015 11:39 AM
    Interesting photos and description of how/why the S Pen gets stuck.

Explained: Here’s exactly what happens when the Note 5’s S Pen is put in backwards [Teardown] | 9to5Google
    Attached Thumbnails What does everyone think of the "reversed S Pen" debacle?-1440693605486.jpg  
    08-27-2015 11:40 AM
    its a design error, but looking at the disassembled picture of the phone and pen inserted backwards, it looks like one can simply insert a drinking straw over the pen and into the phone to release the catch lever. you just need something thin to push up on the catch lever to release it
    08-27-2015 11:41 AM
    IMO this is not User Error problem, but rather a User Misconduct issue. Yes, inserting the stylus in backwards is a goofy thing to do, but people should be expected to do goofy things, either by accident or even out of curiosity. As pointless as this type of behavior should be known to be, there is nothing to make it intuitively obvious to the user that this is detrimental to phone. Yes, there is the warning in the users guide, but having to fall back on documentation constitutes a human interface design failure.

IOW - User Misconduct, and Samsung flunked it's Ergonomics course.
    08-27-2015 11:53 AM
    Nice to see this 'X-Rayed'.
    08-27-2015 11:56 AM
    I think it's silly that this is even a topic. I think as a society we are doing too much "*****" proofing and that needs to stop.
    08-27-2015 12:08 PM
    It's a non-issue.

I don't understand how someone can even possibly think it'd go in with the clicky end first. You have to take it out of the phone by pressing on the clicky end.
    goin_nil, djroy03 and jfoofoo like this.
    08-27-2015 12:29 PM
    I think Samsung should offer to repair for a nominal fee. I don't disagree with what is being said here, but I think Samsung should accept it as a misjudged design flaw, and offer to repair broken devices for 20-50 dollars.

Also, I think Samsung should outfit carriers with a tool that can remove the s-pen without damaging the device. A thin sleeve that can be inserted in the slot that allows the switch to be dis-lodged from the top of the s-pen.

This is reasonable, and I think it helps fix the problem. Lastly, send a warning message to all note 5 owners announcing the warning when the s-pen is removed, that can be disabled by the user, through an acceptance of responsibility much like terms of uses are done now.

That's reasonable, and I think it solves the issue. If you are dumb enough to insert your pen backwards....you can just go to an authorized carrier, and they can remove it with the sleeve.

rushmore and mobilem1 like this.
    08-27-2015 01:27 PM
    Not seeing how this was not caught during field and quality tests.

I have attempted to place the stylus in the Note 4 backwards in the dark one time before going to bed. For this reason, can not make fun of or feign incredulity to those that do. I have enough quirks without adding hypocrite to the list.

I use mine rarely, so would expect it to be more likely to happen than might expect to folks that use the stylus a lot.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-27-2015 01:36 PM
    It's a non-issue.

I don't understand how someone can even possibly think it'd go in with the clicky end first. You have to take it out of the phone by pressing on the clicky end.
    Not sure I agree. If you use the stylus a lot and busy, you could easily apply enough force to seat deep enough before noticing. Seems it all depends on how frequent the stylus is used.
    mobilem1 likes this.
    08-27-2015 01:45 PM
    I actually read someone who stated that Samsung should know people might hand off their expensive new note to a child and they might do this.... Seriously....? Why don't the adult remove the s-pen before giving to the child to play with....?
    I have a ten year old daughter, and every day, I drive her to school, and she asks if she can play with my cell phone (I don't think a ten year old needs her own phone, even though many of her classmates do have iPhones and Android phones)...

Since getting the Note5, she loves to draw on my Note5 instead of playing games, as she did with my HTC One M8. I'm NOT going to tell her she can't use the stylus...I have told her to make sure she inserts the stylus in tip first, and she's a bright kid, but accidents do happen.

I understand that most people will use their phone for two, three years, and NEVER insert the stylus backwards. However, I do believe I read that one of the earlier Note's stylus was designed with a wider rear end, so that it couldn't physically go in backwards. Obviously, at that time, Samsung felt it was worth it to simply design the Note/stylus so that it COULDN'T go in backwards!

It would have eliminated a rather serious problem (while you can still use your Note if you put the stylus in backwards, you do lose what I consider some great features, such as being able to draw on the screen with it turned off)

Yeah, it's user error, but again, Samsung could have designed it so that it couldn't possibly go in wrong, and eliminated the issue.
    08-27-2015 03:09 PM
    Not sure I agree. If you use the stylus a lot and busy, you could easily apply enough force to seat deep enough before noticing. Seems it all depends on how frequent the stylus is used.
    I used my stylus six times already today (and I haven't even had class yet!) and I've managed to put the S Pen back in just fine.
    08-27-2015 03:21 PM
    When I saw the original post, I immediately thought it was funny.. Like how can you possibly make such a stupid mistake. I mean it's obvious as day, how the pen is supposed to be inserted, it's not like you can click the tip of the pen or it will flush with the rest of the phone if you put it in backwards.
    Now I can see where the occasion bout of not paying attention may lead to a mishap. I am really shocked at how much flack Samsung is taking for this despite it being total common sense. Almost like we are licensing idiocy. However, I do agree some sort of design which prevents any type of insertion backwards would help, in light of the surprising reality.

08-27-2015 03:55 PM
    Every time I put it back in I say "button faces screen"

Note 5 is DOPE
    08-27-2015 04:01 PM
    Every time I put it back in I say "button faces screen"

Note 5 is DOPE
    The button can face the screen or the back... no matter.

The issue is people NOT putting the pointy end in first.
    08-27-2015 04:05 PM
    So here I am sitting home me and my note 5. door bell rings. I speak at the door come back in to find my Note 5 spen next to my phone with no clicker. Kid tells me it was sticking out and they tried to put it back in and I wouldn't fit so the took it out because they didn't want me to loose my pen. I go to Samsung they say I have to go through my sprint protection plan also have to buy a new spen. I'm going to go to sprint tomorrow. So the mission begins. All theyre Going to do is take off the back unscrew and take the top out for only god knows the price. Should have took it with me. My life ugh
    sangs likes this.
    08-28-2015 02:21 AM
    So here I am sitting home me and my note 5. door bell rings. I speak at the door come back in to find my Note 5 spen next to my phone with no clicker. Kid tells me it was sticking out and they tried to put it back in and I wouldn't fit so the took it out because they didn't want me to loose my pen. I go to Samsung they say I have to go through my sprint protection plan also have to buy a new spen. I'm going to go to sprint tomorrow. So the mission begins. All theyre Going to do is take off the back unscrew and take the top out for only god knows the price. Should have took it with me. My life ugh
    Well, you at least have one good kid who tried to help you.

But yeah. Probably should have taken it with you.
    rgh718 likes this.
    08-28-2015 03:48 AM
    I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with the design of the s - pen. .....
    I could use a ice pick to scratch my ears and slip and go in to far... do we need to have a ice pick designed any different? Do we really need warning labels affixed to them to make sure someone doesn't do this?
    I think a little stick-on foam nub slightly larger than S Pen's wrong end would address the issue, (kinda like the "replacement button for those Verizon branded Note 3's Home button's...)

Kinda disagree with ice pick analogy becuz an ice pick's EITHER end isn't designed to be inserted in ur ears....if it were and one end was "designed to scratch ur inner ear" but the other end (if inserted wrong) "could poke a hole in ur brain", THEN the analogy would be comparable and a "redesign of the ice pick" would DEFINITELY be in order...lol

(I know...i'm wayyyyy too analytical, been told that a gabillion times

BTC
    08-28-2015 05:30 AM
    Of course it's user error, Samsung isn't putting the pen into the slot on anyone's behalf, but that isn't the point.

I'm tired of reading how stupid someone must be in order to put the pen in incorrectly.
    There are times when a person can be so sleepy, distraught over bad news, or so distracted due to some tragic event that they simply made a mistake.
    I don't believe that makes a person stupid, nor do I believe that should cause their device to cease functioning properly. It wouldn't have taken much for Samsung to taper the s pen or the slot in order to ensure it only fits one way, just like previous models.
    mobilem1 and johnmcd348 like this.
    08-28-2015 06:41 AM
    Seems to me that this is mostly a user error, but Samsung deserves maybe 20% of the blame at most. Microsoft had the good sense to give a warning whenever you accessed the C:\ drive because deleting a folder there can cause programs or the OS itself to not function properly. They also have an add/remove programs feature in the OS with the help of other developers so you don't have to dig through the registry to remove all values yourself and make something worse.

For electronic devices that use power cords, they have different ports based on the voltage that they are designed to take so a user doesn't connect an adapter that provides more volts than their product can handle. Now there's no way for a user to kill their device. Why do you think most companies are going the way of USB type c? Part of it is a universal port that is reversible.

Samsung does have a part in this. They have only created more work for themselves with this.
    08-28-2015 06:43 AM
    Someone's already figured out a way to remove it, pretty easily.
    sangs, rgh718, linzgeneral and 2 others like this.
    08-28-2015 08:36 AM
74 123