09-03-2015 11:57 PM
74 123
tools
    Something so simple as a straw. I love humans.
    08-28-2015 08:57 AM
    Someone's already figured out a way to remove it, pretty easily.
    That's awesome. Hope it helps people.
    08-28-2015 09:24 AM
    Dumb.
    Neal Smith likes this.
    08-28-2015 09:39 AM
    Putting the pen in backwards is 100% user error. Could they have redesigned it to prevent that from occurring? Sure, with some sacrifices. There's almost always a trade-off in aesthetic for safety. These phones are super-tightly packed and one tiny increase in pen handle width could have changed the entire frame design (possibly even affected the design of the internals to the point it would have meant a major rework). However, yes, they could have done that.

What bothers me the most, though, is that people are doing something stupid, and then affecting a companies sales/bottom line by trying to turn it into some type of scandle. As if Samsung deserves to lose a ton of money because someone was "absent minded" or whatever the excuse is. Many people tried it as a result of reading the articles, which if we want to start blaming companies for the actions of individuals, also puts some responsibility in the way it's being reported by these tech sites. Do you see where this is going?

We are watching a generation evolve that can't take any personal responsibility and wants to blame someone/something else for everything they do. This is not how I was raised, and it all comes down to the issue with entitlement. I was taught that you appreciated the expensive (electronics) things you worked hard to get, and you treated them like museum art. Keeping them clean, safe, not letting your kids touch them until they were old enough to understand the value and how to respect it. Now we live in this "disposable" society where it's like "who cares if I break it, I'll just get a new one." Even if that means scamming Samsung or the insurance or the carrier. A very criminalistic mindset, but since people have no respect for large corporations anymore it's "OK" to steal/lie/cheat.

This comes down to a lot more than some "design" flaw. It's really an issue with a bunch of whiney brats that don't care about morality and would rather watch a company burn than be responsible for using the product they bought correctly.

My two cents.
    My thoughts are that too much thought is given to aesthetics in these tiny details. Does the Note 5 look that much better than the Note 3 solely because the Note 5's S Pen can be put in backwards but the Note 3's can't? It's also baffling how Samsung could go "backwards" on the design that used to prevent the incorrect insertion of the S Pen.
    08-28-2015 09:50 AM
    My thoughts are that too much thought is given to aesthetics in these tiny details. Does the Note 5 look that much better than the Note 3 solely because the Note 5's S Pen can be put in backwards but the Note 3's can't? It's also baffling how Samsung could go "backwards" on the design that used to prevent the incorrect insertion of the S Pen.
    The N5 spen is about the top being pushed in and popping the pen out so it is easier to get out.

FWIW, the N4 spen could also go in backwards and this wasn't an issue.
    jamezr likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:07 AM
    i love the new s pen and love the way it clicks out.....come on people it's ridiculous to call user error a poor build. it's like blaming your phone if you walk off curb while texting. what has happened to the concept of personal responsibility, seems no one knows what that means anymore.
    Neal Smith likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:13 AM
    The N5 spen is about the top being pushed in and popping the pen out so it is easier to get out.

FWIW, the N4 spen could also go in backwards and this wasn't an issue.
    OK, I thought that the Note 5 actually didn't have that spring-action feature.
    08-28-2015 10:23 AM
    It's just odd that if you do it and manage to get it out, functionality is lost. I think that is the real "issue".

You could basically never let a kid, or anyone really, use your device. Especially not the S Pen. That's unneeded concern, IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:28 AM
    i love the new s pen and love the way it clicks out.....come on people it's ridiculous to call user error a poor build. it's like blaming your phone if you walk off curb while texting. what has happened to the concept of personal responsibility, seems no one knows what that means anymore.
    There are many posts about personal responsibility on this thread so even though I'm quoting this post, my point is more general.

I'm usually one for accepting personal responsibility with things in life, and I don't recall ever putting my S Pen in any of my Note devices backwards. However, a company can design some things better and some things worse when it comes to the anticipated normal usage of the device. I'm not an engineer, but I don't think that it would have been too hard to design the S Pen so that incorrect insertion is less likely.

I don't think that people should put phones in pants' pockets and sit down. However, this is a common practice (I even do it occasionally) and exposed what I consider a design flaw in the iPhone 6 Plus in that it could bend if someone applied enough pressure when sitting down. It's highly unlikely that the phone will bend, but it could. The likelihood could have been reduced with reinforcement in the frame of such a large, but thin phone.

There are items where the consequences could be deadly where things have been added to reduce the danger from common human mistakes. Space heaters were designed to be used in an upright position. However someone walking by, a fast crawling baby or a pet could easily knock most space heaters over. While people are warned to be cautious when using space heaters, accidents will happen. Space heaters were redesigned to have tip over alerts and shut-off mechanisms included over a period of time.

While messing up a phone usually doesn't have deadly consequences, many consumers appreciate a company when it takes the time to reduce device damage from common, reasonably anticipated usage patterns and errors. Even people who take personal responsibility for their actions can appreciate the manufacturer's efforts because responsible people still aren't perfect or made out of money.
    debdroid1a and LeoRex like this.
    08-28-2015 10:36 AM
    I agree 💯 percent seriously ppl are weird 😂 I think this whole s pen situation is a conspiracy by some apple fan whose fed up with the note being the best phone forever.

jamezr and Neal Smith like this.
    08-28-2015 10:42 AM
    While I'm not an Android user, I have followed this release cycle with interest. If I [I]were[I] a Note user, I would have no issue upgrading to the Note 5; it seems like a great device. Samsung seems to have brought this to a mature market with the features most people want on a modern device.

Having said that, and as one who's been a designer myself, I know the designer, or design team leader is KICKING themselves right now, thinking "Why didn't I foresee this?" All good designers try to anticipate [I]every[I] potential end-users actions and try to protect against the device destroying itself should some weird action be performed. As such, I wouldn't call the SPen design a flaw, rather it's a design 'oversight'. You can bet they won't make the same mistake again, due to the PR hit they are taking on this iteration.
    08-28-2015 03:13 PM
    Completely overblown. No one is stupid enough to insert the S-Pen backwards unless you did it out of curiosity, well it's their risk. Common sense...
    08-28-2015 06:43 PM
    You won't have any problems if you pay attention when placing the stylus back in the Note
    08-29-2015 09:14 AM
    This whole thing has me so paranoid. This is my 3rd Note and inserting the pen backwards never crossed my mind. Now, every time the pen is out, putting it in the right way constantly runs in the "background" of my mind. It's just crazy!

08-29-2015 09:58 AM
    We need a movie now that uses the ejecto pen as a weapon Super duper modified spring action!

That or as a grappling hook.....

They will need an app for that with settings to hook, stun or kill.
    08-29-2015 10:11 AM
    What bothers me the most, though, is that people are doing something stupid, and then affecting a companies sales/bottom line by trying to turn it into some type of scandle. As if Samsung deserves to lose a ton of money because someone was "absent minded" or whatever the excuse is.

We are watching a generation evolve that can't take any personal responsibility and wants to blame someone/something else for everything they do. This is not how I was raised, and it all comes down to the issue with entitlement.
    My two cents.
    x 10000!
    08-29-2015 10:17 AM
    I always wondered why we have to put " Do Not Drink " on a bleach bottle. Now I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Neal Smith likes this.
    08-29-2015 10:22 AM
    Initially my thoughts were that it's primarily user error, but now I think it's more 50/50 user error and a design issue. User error for not paying attention to insert the S-Pen tip first, but design error in that the S-Pen goes in backwards with little effort. This wasn't the case with previous Note devices where it either wouldn't go in backwards at all or took an unnatural amount of force to even attempt it which would trigger an immediate indication something was amiss.

I strongly believe the design part is a consequence of Samsung focusing too much on form over function in getting the S-Pen to sit completely flush with the phone's edge. Subsequently they either completely missed designing it like previous Note's where it's difficult to insert backwards or the new design didn't lend itself very well to implementing such a mechanism. So they figured to run with it thinking people would be attentive enough to not put the S-Pen in backwards. Either way, I think this should be a lesson to them there was no need to re-invent the wheel here. There was NOTHING wrong with the previous S-Pen design. It already sat flush with the phone's edge and was easily pulled out with a finger nail along its back edge. No need for the complexity of a push button mechanism making it pop away from the edge enough to then use a finger nail to pull out. So many times it's best to just follow the K.I.S.S. principle!
    lackster2 and 21stNow like this.
    08-29-2015 03:25 PM
    It has to sit flush, just like all the other spens did. I can't stick out. It is more about the click top mechanism and people begged for a pop out spen.

I prefer the pop out, much easier to get out, especially with a case.
    08-29-2015 04:02 PM
    Of course it's user error, Samsung isn't putting the pen into the slot on anyone's behalf, but that isn't the point.

I'm tired of reading how stupid someone must be in order to put the pen in incorrectly.
    There are times when a person can be so sleepy, distraught over bad news, or so distracted due to some tragic event that they simply made a mistake.
    I don't believe that makes a person stupid, nor do I believe that should cause their device to cease functioning properly. It wouldn't have taken much for Samsung to taper the s pen or the slot in order to ensure it only fits one way, just like previous models.

Just kidding. I agree 100%. This is a mistake made by the user. It's not a design flaw. It's not a Stupid Mistake.

I've been tired enough after a multi 20+ hour work day to believe I could do something like this. If I did, I would have no one to blame but myself. It isn't Samsung's fault I did it.
    08-29-2015 06:38 PM
    I do think this is mostly user error. However, I feel Samsung does bear some responsibility for this and it would be in their best interest to do something for those who have made this mistake and quickly do some kind of modification/recall for the s pen on all existing and future note 5s so that there will be no ill will. Remember Samsung has already ticked off a large majority of their faithful customers by eliminating features in their phones that have been there for years. They have had several straight quarters of declining profits and now not only have they alienated faithful customers with the new note and galaxy phones eliminating removable batteries and sd slots but now there is a major risk of permanently damaging your phone by placing the s pen in backwards. Something that apparently is very easy to do. Do you want to have to constantly monitor your phone to make sure you or no one else makes this error? Of course you might respond "I won't make this mistake". Ok well what if a friend, coworker, family member or a child grabs your phone for a second? What if you get a call for someone next to you and hand the phone to them? What if you need to show your boss something on your phone and he starts to use the pen? Do you want to be the jerk who is constantly refusing to let someone else use your phone for a second because you are obsessed with the pen being removed and stuck back in the wrong way? If you are worried about your phone being dropped you get a case but what do you do for this situation? I guess you guys will either refuse to let anyone use your phone or just not leave the s pen in the phone. In which case it could easily become lost or broken. And do you think this kind of negative publicity for Samsung especially considering their response to "read a manual" that doesn't even come with the phone going to help convince more customers to buy their phones? At first I defended Samsung when apple started suing them and I still think apple is going too far with their lawsuits but I think Samsung is definitely trying hard to follow the apple business model. A sealed battery that is too small to last more than a year before losing the ability to hold a charge is perfect motivation to upgrade when the next model comes around. Especially when the next model's battery is just a little bigger. And throw in more ram and better os optimization that doesn't come to the prior model to really push people to buy the newer phones. Samsung is even starting to sound like Steve Jobs did when antenna gate started. Blame the user because they must be pretty dumb.
    08-30-2015 12:42 PM
    Lots of great responses here from different sides of the argument.

Overall, I can say that even though the user bears the primary responsibility for damaging his/her $800+ device, Samsung also bears a small bit of that responsibility as previous Notes couldn't fit an S Pen backwards, even if you purposely tried. A tiny redesign could help.

Doesn't have to be an overhaul, but make it so that idiots can't damage their phones due to a backwards stylus.
    08-30-2015 11:13 PM
    It's the users fault for doing it. Unfortunately, it's very easy to do and it isn't like you have to put the pen in all the way. Only about half-way. There isn't any indication that you are doing it either. It's easy to say pointy end goes first but when you put it in you don't have to touch the back until well after it's gone in too far. There is no indication that you are putting it in wrong until it's too late.

Where Samsung's design is bad is that the part they designed for the pen detection is very fragile. It's a tiny piece of plastic that's thinner than a paper clip. It wouldn't surprise me if it broke after normal use. It's overall a really poor design. The plastic should have been more solid or made of metal. You don't make moving parts that will be stressed thousands of times out of tiny bits of plastic. How many $800 watches have plastic gears? At some point the arm that sticks out is going to get caught on the indentation at the point of the pen and break or the repeated stress of putting the pen in and out is going to bend it. Overall, there are dozens of ways Samsung could have designed this and they chose the worst possible way to do it.
    09-03-2015 08:31 AM
    Wow, it's truly amazing how some people can't tell the difference between the clicky top and the smooth end point.. This is really silly, and such a waste if time. Simply roll the eyes down to look the at pen, then push in if correct. But I guess it's hard and highly stressful to move them. What a shame. Since this is such serious matter, perhaps Samsung should no longer make the device. Now that should solve the problem completely ....wow what a waste.
    09-03-2015 11:57 PM
74 123