What does everyone think of the "reversed S Pen" debacle?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I agree. If you use the stylus a lot and busy, you could easily apply enough force to seat deep enough before noticing. Seems it all depends on how frequent the stylus is used.

I used my stylus six times already today (and I haven't even had class yet!) and I've managed to put the S Pen back in just fine.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
When I saw the original post, I immediately thought it was funny.. Like how can you possibly make such a stupid mistake. I mean it's obvious as day, how the pen is supposed to be inserted, it's not like you can click the tip of the pen or it will flush with the rest of the phone if you put it in backwards.
Now I can see where the occasion bout of not paying attention may lead to a mishap. I am really shocked at how much flack Samsung is taking for this despite it being total common sense. Almost like we are licensing idiocy. However, I do agree some sort of design which prevents any type of insertion backwards would help, in light of the surprising reality.

Posted via the Android Central App

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So here I am sitting home me and my note 5. door bell rings. I speak at the door come back in to find my Note 5 spen next to my phone with no clicker. Kid tells me it was sticking out and they tried to put it back in and I wouldn't fit so the took it out because they didn't want me to loose my pen. I go to Samsung they say I have to go through my sprint protection plan also have to buy a new spen. I'm going to go to sprint tomorrow. So the mission begins. All theyre Going to do is take off the back unscrew and take the top out for only god knows the price. Should have took it with me. My life ugh

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So here I am sitting home me and my note 5. door bell rings. I speak at the door come back in to find my Note 5 spen next to my phone with no clicker. Kid tells me it was sticking out and they tried to put it back in and I wouldn't fit so the took it out because they didn't want me to loose my pen. I go to Samsung they say I have to go through my sprint protection plan also have to buy a new spen. I'm going to go to sprint tomorrow. So the mission begins. All theyre Going to do is take off the back unscrew and take the top out for only god knows the price. Should have took it with me. My life ugh

Well, you at least have one good kid who tried to help you.

But yeah. Probably should have taken it with you.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with the design of the s - pen. .....
I could use a ice pick to scratch my ears and slip and go in to far... do we need to have a ice pick designed any different? Do we really need warning labels affixed to them to make sure someone doesn't do this?

I think a little stick-on foam nub slightly larger than S Pen's wrong end would address the issue, (kinda like the "replacement button for those Verizon branded Note 3's Home button's...)

Kinda disagree with ice pick analogy becuz an ice pick's EITHER end isn't designed to be inserted in ur ears....if it were and one end was "designed to scratch ur inner ear" but the other end (if inserted wrong) "could poke a hole in ur brain", THEN the analogy would be comparable and a "redesign of the ice pick" would DEFINITELY be in order...lol

(I know...i'm wayyyyy too analytical, been told that a gabillion times :-*

BTC

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's user error, Samsung isn't putting the pen into the slot on anyone's behalf, but that isn't the point.

I'm tired of reading how stupid someone must be in order to put the pen in incorrectly.
There are times when a person can be so sleepy, distraught over bad news, or so distracted due to some tragic event that they simply made a mistake.
I don't believe that makes a person stupid, nor do I believe that should cause their device to cease functioning properly. It wouldn't have taken much for Samsung to taper the s pen or the slot in order to ensure it only fits one way, just like previous models.

nasc2k

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Seems to me that this is mostly a user error, but Samsung deserves maybe 20% of the blame at most. Microsoft had the good sense to give a warning whenever you accessed the C:\ drive because deleting a folder there can cause programs or the OS itself to not function properly. They also have an add/remove programs feature in the OS with the help of other developers so you don't have to dig through the registry to remove all values yourself and make something worse.

For electronic devices that use power cords, they have different ports based on the voltage that they are designed to take so a user doesn't connect an adapter that provides more volts than their product can handle. Now there's no way for a user to kill their device. Why do you think most companies are going the way of USB type c? Part of it is a universal port that is reversible.

Samsung does have a part in this. They have only created more work for themselves with this.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Putting the pen in backwards is 100% user error. Could they have redesigned it to prevent that from occurring? Sure, with some sacrifices. There's almost always a trade-off in aesthetic for safety. These phones are super-tightly packed and one tiny increase in pen handle width could have changed the entire frame design (possibly even affected the design of the internals to the point it would have meant a major rework). However, yes, they could have done that.

What bothers me the most, though, is that people are doing something stupid, and then affecting a companies sales/bottom line by trying to turn it into some type of scandle. As if Samsung deserves to lose a ton of money because someone was "absent minded" or whatever the excuse is. Many people tried it as a result of reading the articles, which if we want to start blaming companies for the actions of individuals, also puts some responsibility in the way it's being reported by these tech sites. Do you see where this is going?

We are watching a generation evolve that can't take any personal responsibility and wants to blame someone/something else for everything they do. This is not how I was raised, and it all comes down to the issue with entitlement. I was taught that you appreciated the expensive (electronics) things you worked hard to get, and you treated them like museum art. Keeping them clean, safe, not letting your kids touch them until they were old enough to understand the value and how to respect it. Now we live in this "disposable" society where it's like "who cares if I break it, I'll just get a new one." Even if that means scamming Samsung or the insurance or the carrier. A very criminalistic mindset, but since people have no respect for large corporations anymore it's "OK" to steal/lie/cheat.

This comes down to a lot more than some "design" flaw. It's really an issue with a bunch of whiney brats that don't care about morality and would rather watch a company burn than be responsible for using the product they bought correctly.

My two cents.

My thoughts are that too much thought is given to aesthetics in these tiny details. Does the Note 5 look that much better than the Note 3 solely because the Note 5's S Pen can be put in backwards but the Note 3's can't? It's also baffling how Samsung could go "backwards" on the design that used to prevent the incorrect insertion of the S Pen.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts are that too much thought is given to aesthetics in these tiny details. Does the Note 5 look that much better than the Note 3 solely because the Note 5's S Pen can be put in backwards but the Note 3's can't? It's also baffling how Samsung could go "backwards" on the design that used to prevent the incorrect insertion of the S Pen.

The N5 spen is about the top being pushed in and popping the pen out so it is easier to get out.

FWIW, the N4 spen could also go in backwards and this wasn't an issue.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i love the new s pen and love the way it clicks out.....come on people it's ridiculous to call user error a poor build. it's like blaming your phone if you walk off curb while texting. what has happened to the concept of personal responsibility, seems no one knows what that means anymore.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
It's just odd that if you do it and manage to get it out, functionality is lost. I think that is the real "issue".

You could basically never let a kid, or anyone really, use your device. Especially not the S Pen. That's unneeded concern, IMO.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
i love the new s pen and love the way it clicks out.....come on people it's ridiculous to call user error a poor build. it's like blaming your phone if you walk off curb while texting. what has happened to the concept of personal responsibility, seems no one knows what that means anymore.

There are many posts about personal responsibility on this thread so even though I'm quoting this post, my point is more general.

I'm usually one for accepting personal responsibility with things in life, and I don't recall ever putting my S Pen in any of my Note devices backwards. However, a company can design some things better and some things worse when it comes to the anticipated normal usage of the device. I'm not an engineer, but I don't think that it would have been too hard to design the S Pen so that incorrect insertion is less likely.

I don't think that people should put phones in pants' pockets and sit down. However, this is a common practice (I even do it occasionally) and exposed what I consider a design flaw in the iPhone 6 Plus in that it could bend if someone applied enough pressure when sitting down. It's highly unlikely that the phone will bend, but it could. The likelihood could have been reduced with reinforcement in the frame of such a large, but thin phone.

There are items where the consequences could be deadly where things have been added to reduce the danger from common human mistakes. Space heaters were designed to be used in an upright position. However someone walking by, a fast crawling baby or a pet could easily knock most space heaters over. While people are warned to be cautious when using space heaters, accidents will happen. Space heaters were redesigned to have tip over alerts and shut-off mechanisms included over a period of time.

While messing up a phone usually doesn't have deadly consequences, many consumers appreciate a company when it takes the time to reduce device damage from common, reasonably anticipated usage patterns and errors. Even people who take personal responsibility for their actions can appreciate the manufacturer's efforts because responsible people still aren't perfect or made out of money.

Mahmoud52

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree 💯 percent seriously ppl are weird 😂 I think this whole s pen situation is a conspiracy by some apple fan whose fed up with the note being the best phone forever.