09-20-2015 05:53 PM
119 1234 ...
tools
    I constantly flip flop between choosing one of these phones. Battery life, while I know it is subjective, really means a lot to me. I'd love to not have to worry about battery life and it sounds like the 6+ might be the only thing out there that guarantees me a full day pretty much no matter what.
    08-28-2015 01:19 PM
    80% or 71% doesn't matter.... but if it is 50% to 20% at 5pm... that is a problem.. Jury is still out
    When you have iPhones running just basic and minimal stuff in the background and not even doing real multitasking, then you get a device that is running by default dozens of apps and services from Google, Samsung and even Carriers, you can't really do an apples to apples comparison.

On Android you should be willing to do some tweaks not needed on iPhones because they are not there. You have just 2 options, leave everything on, as it comes by default and suffer from the expected battery drains or do some tweaks removing bloatware, turning off, disable or uninstall unnecessary services and apps and be aware of the critical change on the Location History settings that affects all the devices running latest Google Play services. This Location reporting is a huge battery drain on Android, not on iPhones, if you get what I mean.

Like I've said dozens of times already, doing the above is not crippling your device, is simply doing the fine tuning that neither Google or Samsung (or any other Android OEM) are doing. Having everything on all the time is and will never be the optimal and smarter thing to do, not even on a 4000mAh battery device. Doing this tweaks will just make your device as fine tuned as an iPhone that everybody seem to have some high praise for it.

For better standby time try what I have posted in the past days, look for the Auto Stop features if available on your device and download Doze app from the Play Store, it will help until Android M is released with its integrated Doze feature.
    08-28-2015 01:36 PM
    I constantly flip flop between choosing one of these phones. Battery life, while I know it is subjective, really means a lot to me. I'd love to not have to worry about battery life and it sounds like the 6+ might be the only thing out there that guarantees me a full day pretty much no matter what.
    The note phones have always got me through a day pretty easy. Ive had the 2,3,4 and now the 5. The 5 lasts as long as the 4 does.

Battery has always been my biggest thing too. The only things i really adjust is i turn sync off because it will show me new emails when i open the app. I also put location on battery saving. I disable the bloatware i don't use.

With that set up i am not losing any features of the phone, and i can make it a full day with room to spare.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    nokia4life likes this.
    08-28-2015 02:18 PM
    The note phones have always got me through a day pretty easy. Ive had the 2,3,4 and now the 5. The 5 lasts as long as the 4 does.

Battery has always been my biggest thing too. The only things i really adjust is i turn sync off because it will show me new emails when i open the app. I also put location on battery saving. I disable the bloatware i don't use.

With that set up i am not losing any features of the phone, and i can make it a full day with room to spare.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    I think I would probably be ok, for my use. But I'm fighting the internal battle of do I want to stick with Android (which usually means hopping from one phone to the next every few months) or go with Apple and stick to the once a year cycle. It's down the 6+ (or 6S+) or the Note 5. There is nothing else out there that I like or want. And I'm not sure about the upcoming Nexus device(s) either.
    08-28-2015 03:18 PM
    I think I would probably be ok, for my use. But I'm fighting the internal battle of do I want to stick with Android (which usually means hopping from one phone to the next every few months) or go with Apple and stick to the once a year cycle. It's down the 6+ (or 6S+) or the Note 5. There is nothing else out there that I like or want. And I'm not sure about the upcoming Nexus device(s) either.
    I'm in the same spot as you. I have the 6 plus and note 5 but can't decide if I want to keep the note 5 or get 6 plus s. One thing that I keep thinking about is resell value. I know my note 4 didn't keep the value that much and my iphone 6 plus is still worth 450 at verizon and more on craigslist. I'm having hard time making this decision.
    08-28-2015 04:56 PM
    ..... and it sounds like the 6+ might be the only thing out there that guarantees me a full day pretty much no matter what.
    Phone Arena might disagree with you on that....

24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner-phone-arena.jpg
    Mdbills484, dario12v and H3aTeRzz like this.
    08-28-2015 05:42 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phone Arena.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	193736
    Nice!

For my use, though, it makes it through a day pretty easily. I had one on a trip to NYC last month and I was the only one still running at the end of the day. Not my wife's edge. And not the 3 5S's that were with us.
    08-28-2015 05:53 PM

The Phone Arena test has no correlation with real world battery life, I take their results with a massive grain of salt given that my experiences have been vastly different to what they reported. Devices that score poorly on their test end up doing better in real world usage than other devices that scored significantly higher.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    08-28-2015 07:48 PM
    The Phone Arena test has no correlation with real world battery life, I take their results with a massive grain of salt given that my experiences have been vastly different to what they reported. Devices that score poorly on their test end up doing better in real world usage than other devices that scored significantly higher.

And if you use the iPad charger the 6 Plus also charges up in about an hour and a half. That'll run ya a whole $19 on Amazon. I got great battery life on my 6 Plus. I'm sure I could get through a day on the Note 5, too. But I find it hard to believe it would get me 3 more hours of use.
    08-28-2015 08:11 PM

Phone Arena's battery tests are straight garbage and I'm confused how they in anyway correlate to real life usage. Nobody on the planet with these two phones in working order would say that the Note 5 gets roughly 30% better battery. And w/ 2A charger, the 6 Plus charges decently fast too.

The Note 5 is a great phone - gorgeous build, best screen in the business, and great camera, with good battery life. All around an impressive handset. But at the end of the day, I've found that my 6 Plus is still snappier and gets clearly better battery life (especially in standby). I'll probably roll with it another year.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    08-28-2015 08:12 PM
    I am like most of the others here. Coming from a 6+ the only thing that has me concerned is battery life. I love the Note 5 otherwise. I have also had a Note 2 & 3. I could not kill the battery on my 6+ in 1 day. I don't care what any review says. 8 hours talk time, 3 hours screen time, plus browsing, streaming, you name it. Just last week we were at Disney from 9 am until midnight and I still had over 50% left after taking pictures all day.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the heck out of my new phone, but I have to get used to a new reality with battery life. I already sold my iPhone to force me to stick with this and not make any excuses to go back.

I did do a factory reset this afternoon to try everything fresh. Hopefully that will help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    08-28-2015 08:25 PM
    I'm coming from an iPhone 6 and the Note 5 is a treat. This phone is just so smooth and amazing. I had the Note 4 last year at launch but what a difference in a premium feel for the Note 5. This is a very slick phone. I don't know about battery life yet but damn this thing charges so fast it doesn't matter. Hail to the Note 5. Love it
    08-28-2015 08:41 PM
    Not to shabby
    Attached Thumbnails 24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner-1440819890370.jpg   24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner-1440819900450.jpg  
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:45 PM
    Phone Arena's battery tests are straight garbage and I'm confused how they in anyway correlate to real life usage. Nobody on the planet with these two phones in working order would say that the Note 5 gets roughly 30% better battery. And w/ 2A charger, the 6 Plus charges decently fast too.

The Note 5 is a great phone - gorgeous build, best screen in the business, and great camera, with good battery life. All around an impressive handset. But at the end of the day, I've found that my 6 Plus is still snappier and gets clearly better battery life (especially in standby). I'll probably roll with it another year.
    I have both phones also. The Note 5 can definitely get you through a full day no problem. I previously had an S6 Edge. I had to charge that piece of trash twice to get through a full day. However the 6 plus battery is in another world. I don't think I could get it to 20% in one day if I tried. I don't know how these publications conduct their tests but they are totally wrong. The 6 plus has the better battery by a mile
    msavic6 and Dukins like this.
    08-29-2015 12:34 AM
    I have been a 6+ user since it came out last September. I have tried several different phones over the last year and nothing comes close to the 6+ battery life. That being said, Apple is the best at optimization. I got the Note 5 this past Tuesday and have been using it on my work line. The battery life on the Note 5 has been pretty good for me so far. It's not as good as the 6+ but it still gets me through a full day. The Note 5 is the nicest phone Samsung has ever made hands down. Sure the Edge is pretty, but it's just asthetics as the Edge screen doesn't have enough functionality built into it. The Note 5 feels great in the hand and doesn't feel like a pallet at all. I love the thin bezels. When I put the Note 5 next to the 6+ there's no comparison in design - the Note 5 looks and feels much better. I also had the opportunity to beta test Samsung Pay and I have to say I am impressed. I used it twice yesterday and it worked flawless. It does need some polishing on the software side, but I'm sure it will be refined by the time it rolls out at the end of September. The Note 5 may be the first Android phone to finally break me away from Apple and iOS.
    TheDonJ77 and Sammuel1973 like this.
    08-29-2015 01:05 AM
    From an iPhone 6 Plus, to a SGN5, and even I'm starting to warm up to the device.
    Now I just need to get my music from iTunes to my new device...
    I drag and drop my purchased iTunes music to my G4.

I'm on Windows, so it's Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music
    08-29-2015 01:12 AM
    I have both phones also. The Note 5 can definitely get you through a full day no problem. I previously had an S6 Edge. I had to charge that piece of trash twice to get through a full day. However the 6 plus battery is in another world. I don't think I could get it to 20% in one day if I tried. I don't know how these publications conduct their tests but they are totally wrong. The 6 plus has the better battery by a mile
    The S6 was very hit or miss for most people regarding battery life, in my case I get nearly 6 hours of screen on time with my S6 with the majority being WiFi usage. There's plenty of people on the opposite end of the spectrum though, barely making it through half the day.

The Note 5 also seems to present a wide range of battery life figures, some people seem to be getting exceptional battery life while others are struggling. The software is the leading culprit in this as wake locks and other issues are leading to dismal battery life for some.

One of the benefits of Apples locked down nature is the lack of software issues leading to excessive battery drain. There is few things you can adjust on an iPhone besides location and sync settings that can affect battery life, the rest is pretty much taken care of by Apple itself. This combined with Apples exceptional optimization leads to the amazing battery life found on the 6+ yet most tech sites that conduct standardized tests don't accurately account for the real world battery life experienced by the real users.

08-29-2015 01:31 AM
    Just want to let people know that if you have high cell standby drain and you're on T-mobile to go into the phone app settings and turn off voice over LTE. That helps my idle drain tremendously
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    08-29-2015 02:17 AM
    The S6 was very hit or miss for most people regarding battery life, in my case I get nearly 6 hours of screen on time with my S6 with the majority being WiFi usage. There's plenty of people on the opposite end of the spectrum though, barely making it through half the day.

The Note 5 also seems to present a wide range of battery life figures, some people seem to be getting exceptional battery life while others are struggling. The software is the leading culprit in this as wake locks and other issues are leading to dismal battery life for some.

One of the benefits of Apples locked down nature is the lack of software issues leading to excessive battery drain. There is few things you can adjust on an iPhone besides location and sync settings that can affect battery life, the rest is pretty much taken care of by Apple itself. This combined with Apples exceptional optimization leads to the amazing battery life found on the 6+ yet most tech sites that conduct standardized tests don't accurately account for the real world battery life experienced by the real users.

Well said.
    opeycunningham likes this.
    08-29-2015 02:31 AM
    Note 5 is the first Android phone I have used that is as smooth or smoother than the 6 Plus I had. After using it for a week, I think Samsung finally caught Apple.
    08-29-2015 03:36 AM
    You could consider the LG G4.. removable battery. I had it for awhile and the battery was great and having the spare battery in my pocket was peace of mind
    08-29-2015 06:30 AM
    I am sure it totally depends on the user and where you are. We have terrible ATT service in our building and the people inside are always crying about the drain on the battery as the phone searches for a signal. I love the 14 day trial you have with Verizon (I am sure all carriers have similar programs).

The Note 5 is an amazing phone, but for my lifestyle and usage.. The 6+ is still the winner..
    08-29-2015 06:34 AM
    Coming from a galaxy s6 I will say the battery life is double on the note 5. I wouldn't consider myself a power user but I do read alot of news and articles on my phone. My gs6 would chew through battery so quickly. My note 5 hangs on alot longer for sure. So far so good for me. People need to remember that ios runs differently then android and it's hard to compare the two because there such different operating systems.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-29-2015 07:14 AM
    Just a quick update. I did a factory reset yesterday. I disabled all bloat apps, restarted, then installed new apps, restarted, updated apps, restarted, then set everything up and restarted again. Not sure if the restarts were necessary, but I knew it couldn't hurt. So far today my battery life has been much better than what it was over the last week. I still have 90% with almost 6 hours off charger. Not a ton of use today, but yesterday at this time I was down to 49%.

It was a lot of work, but I'm glad I did it.
    James8561 and TheDonJ77 like this.
    08-29-2015 12:28 PM
    I am one to hold onto my iPhone 6 plus due to the note 5 battery not lasting me it is sucking bad right now but everything is good. I got mine on tuesday so this is day three for me and all is good except battery. example I pulled it off the charger at 3am this morning 100% went to bed work up at 8am and it was down to 87% and now at noon its is at 76 percent not sure what is going on but that is not good in my book. see the screen shot.
    That is sucking??
    reidcc and AlexMarie15 like this.
    08-29-2015 02:42 PM
119 1234 ...