09-20-2015 05:53 PM
119 ... 2345
tools
    if all you guys coming over from iPhone are new to android there are a lot of things to do to extend the battery. As mentioned turn off location and turn off google location as well as google history locations and then start disabling all Samsung bloatware you can along with your carrier of choice software. you will be surprised as much better the battery will behave. There are several places or folks on here that will be glad to help because android has a beast of a learning curve if you never used it before. Having said all that and used android on several different occasions the old saying still holds true. " if you want it to just work get an iPhone. if you want or like to fiddle then get a android" Sometimes I get tired of fooling and adjusting and I miss my iPhone because of that. Both platforms have their strength and weaknesses.
    Yeah man, thought you were all in with the 6 Plus. You're just as bad as me. I'm debating on the Note or waiting for the 6S+ right now. As an Android fan first, pretty sure I gotta give that Note 5 a run.
    08-30-2015 03:30 PM
    turn off all weather refreshing, go into google and disable all auto sync your not using, also go into google and turn location history off ( which is different from gps location off) , any bloatware you can disable , That about all I can think of and you may have already done all of that but having said that . I don't think any android device of any brand or model will ever get the battery life that apple gets. I haven't seen one yet that will
    opeycunningham likes this.
    08-30-2015 03:37 PM
    The Note 5 would be a great phone for me, but I wanted the 128GB option especially with no microSD card, I know do we really need the extra, but when you don't have expansion to me the answer is yes. That said I may wait and see.
    Dukins likes this.
    08-30-2015 03:38 PM
    Actually no they haven't, it is still the same. The first thread I participated in here was a Galaxy S battery thread.
    I think they're more frequent now.
    08-30-2015 04:27 PM
    if all you guys coming over from iPhone are new to android there are a lot of things to do to extend the battery. As mentioned turn off location and turn off google location as well as google history locations and then start disabling all Samsung bloatware you can along with your carrier of choice software. you will be surprised as much better the battery will behave. There are several places or folks on here that will be glad to help because android has a beast of a learning curve if you never used it before. Having said all that and used android on several different occasions the old saying still holds true. " if you want it to just work get an iPhone. if you want or like to fiddle then get a android" Sometimes I get tired of fooling and adjusting and I miss my iPhone because of that. Both platforms have their strength and weaknesses.
    I havery Verizon apps on such as app protector and Web anti virus stuff. Should I or could I disable that safely? Pretty sure I don't need their cloud services since Google is pretty good with all of that.

Also Google Apps I don't need to sync I did unchecked but location history vs location? That one throws me off.
    08-30-2015 06:06 PM
    I havery Verizon apps on such as app protector and Web anti virus stuff. Should I or could I disable that safely? Pretty sure I don't need their cloud services since Google is pretty good with all of that.

Also Google Apps I don't need to sync I did unchecked but location history vs location? That one throws me off.
    I always disable all the carrier stuff I can.

Also you really don't need Antivirus software unless you ate going to be downloading from some really shady places.

History is just Google showing you the information and you can delete it, unless using it for Google Now to remind you of everything or keeping up with where you have been. I delete my History every month or so.
    08-30-2015 06:52 PM
    I always disable all the carrier stuff I can.

Also you really don't need Antivirus software unless you ate going to be downloading from some really shady places.

History is just Google showing you the information and you can delete it, unless using it for Google Now to remind you of everything or keeping up with where you have been. I delete my History every month or so.
    Wondering why deleting locating history would improve battery?
    08-30-2015 07:06 PM
    Wondering why deleting locating history would improve battery?
    It does, but they isn't the only reason I delete it. When I do use location from time to time, I just don't want that info stored out there. I can't remember now where I read about that, but it can help with battery.
    08-30-2015 07:13 PM
    It does, but they isn't the only reason I delete it. When I do use location from time to time, I just don't want that info stored out there. I can't remember now where I read about that, but it can help with battery.
    I went to location option but don't see history option there. Is it located elsewhere?
    08-30-2015 07:15 PM
    I went to location option but don't see history option there. Is it located elsewhere?
    Yes.. Go to Google Settings in your app drawer, open, you will see location, tap and then get the second screen and then tap Google location history at the bottom, tap that it opens another screen and there is a delete at the bottom of that.
    Attached Thumbnails 24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner-1440980605930.jpg   24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner-1440980615904.jpg  
    08-30-2015 07:23 PM
    It is the same with, XYZ Android is the worst ever, always been those threads.
    At least we dont have the "Samsung sucks cuz it uses cheap plastic" threads any more.
    08-31-2015 09:50 AM
    At least we dont have the "Samsung sucks cuz it uses cheap plastic" threads any more.
    Hahaha true! I mentioned that the other day. When people were complaining about the back glass, I said.. People wanted premium, remember?

I was fine with the Polycarbonate, lightweight, durable, strong.
    08-31-2015 11:16 AM
    Just disable all the bloatware and your note 5 will definitely last longer
    Also geolocation is a huge drain just say no to geolocation on most apps that ask your permission for it

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-31-2015 12:39 PM
    Is it just me or did we not start having so many battery life threads until numerous manufacturers started implementing qhd screens?
    True but they've really ramped up this year
    Battery threads have always been around. It is just more the balance of hardware & software is getting better -- maybe not the best yet but getting better so therefore people's expectations rise. Remember when DSL speeds were like "WHOA DEWD 200 KB/SEC" ... Now you see people who don't get 50 Mbps on LTE and they say their connection sucks? Same thing .
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:07 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the very first Android Central post was about poor battery life: "why for art thou battery life suxxeth?" or something like that. No, QHD did not increase battery life threads. Battery life threads haven't even increased as a form of complaint - what has increased is the number of threads per forum and the number of members posting about things.
    Almeuit, zeuswsu, jdhooghe and 1 others like this.
    08-31-2015 03:09 PM
    Is it just me or did we not start having so many battery life threads until numerous manufacturers started implementing qhd screens?
    Go look back at the Thunderbolt forum. That phone was horrible on battery life. And it had a qHD (quarter HD) display(way less than hd) , not QHD (quad hd). On the Thunderbolt, I could kill it in less than 2 hours SOT.

The Note 4 and 5 get great battery life for android.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    08-31-2015 03:11 PM
    Power efficient QHD such as the note 4 and Note 5 isn't the problem . now there are some QHD displays that aren't power efficient
    ... That's a different story

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:14 PM
    I have all 4....iPhone 6 plus, Note 3, Note 4 and 5

And after a week with the Note 5, "i personally" get better battery life out of the Note 5 than I got from any of the others.
    Aquila, TheDonJ77, w7sg and 1 others like this.
    08-31-2015 03:21 PM
    I have all 4....iPhone 6 plus, Note 3, Note 4 and 5

And after a week with the Note 5, "i personally" get better battery life out of the Note 5 than I got from an of the others.
    I need to know your trick. I'd love to get at least what my 6+ gave me. Lost 11% since coming off charger 1 hour ago and says estimated 6 hours left. Ugh
    Aquila likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:24 PM
    08-31-2015 04:17 PM
    I need to know your trick. I'd love to get at least what my 6+ gave me. Lost 11% since coming off charger 1 hour ago and says estimated 6 hours left. Ugh
    Well....i keep my brightness at about 1/4 throttle. I constantly check and close all unnecessary apps in the background, to include the recently used apps. I disable virus protection, unless I'm downloading apps from google play, or non-google play. I disable all bloatware not being used. And I have my screen display shut off time at 1 minute. That's about it I think.
    08-31-2015 05:20 PM
    Well....i keep my brightness at about 1/4 throttle. I constantly check and close all unnecessary apps in the background, to include the recently used apps. I disable virus protection, unless I'm downloading apps from google play, or non-google play. I disable all bloatware not being used. And I have my screen display shut off time at 1 minute. That's about it I think.
    Kind of similar setup than you in all my phones and I always have very good battery life.

Problem is that besides the normal couple of devices with legit hardware issues that don't work as expected even after a factory reset, the rest still can't understand the difference between platforms and that one (iPhone) has basically everything shutdown as soon as the screen is turned off while Android basically allows most of services and apps to run in the background, hence the reason that if you do care about battery life and to get as much as possible, removing bloatware, turning off unnecessary services syncing and do some other optional tweaks are basically necessary, like turning off Location History and use Location in Power Saving Mode instead of high accuracy and obviously the screen brightness, to name just the most battery offenders known.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    08-31-2015 07:53 PM
    I constantly check and close all unnecessary apps in the background, to include the recently used apps.
    This part is more of a hindrance than help, but with 4GB of RAM it isn't even that much of a hindrance.
    H3aTeRzz and Kelly Kearns like this.
    08-31-2015 09:32 PM
    Constantly closing apps in the background are probably a leftover thing you are doing from iOS.

Try to not think of the RAM as you would with say a Windows computer. I constantly have about 5-10 apps running in the background that that I never shut down. Something I'm not going to be using but once every so often, I close it down when finished.

Android dies indeed work better with a bit some RAM full. Now that is taking into account all apps are behaving normally. I've done beta testing for Facebook for a couple of years now and a couple of times they have had something wrong and it has used a lot of resources and way too much RAM. I could tell by the actual function of my phone.

The times I have used an iPhone, yes, I've had to close things out a lot, with Android it is different. Android liked some of that RAM full.
    H3aTeRzz and Gray Area like this.
    09-01-2015 04:22 AM
    Constantly closing apps in the background are probably a leftover thing you are doing from iOS.

Try to not think of the RAM as you would with say a Windows computer. I constantly have about 5-10 apps running in the background that that I never shut down. Something I'm not going to be using but once every so often, I close it down when finished.

Android dies indeed work better with a bit some RAM full. Now that is taking into account all apps are behaving normally. I've done beta testing for Facebook for a couple of years now and a couple of times they have had something wrong and it has used a lot of resources and way too much RAM. I could tell by the actual function of my phone.

The times I have used an iPhone, yes, I've had to close things out a lot, with Android it is different. Android liked some of that RAM full.
    Thanks....but closing the apps is probably more of a OCD thing, than anything else! :-D
    Aquila likes this.
    09-01-2015 07:51 AM
119 ... 2345