Heavily considering Note 4 over the Note 5. Any objections?

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Everyone, thanks for your feedback. I have arrived at a decision, which is to go ahead with the Note 5. The decision is pretty much sealed at this point as I have gone ahead and ordered a case and screen protector for the Note 5 off of eBay. Once in my possession, I'll go down to the AT&T store and pick up the Note 5.

It mostly had to do with how the Note 5 is a much more polished device over the Note 4. I do the long haul and upgrade only once every two years so the cost is worth having something solid for the long run.

The low cost of the Note 4 was enticing (~$120 total), but for a little more, I would have something much more improved. Plus, I will likely sell my current S4 to soften the blow which makes the cost of the S5 more acceptable.

Looking forward to the Note 5 in a few days. Thanks everyone!

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Hope you'll like it! I love mine, just the build quality, and the performance without the hit in battery is amazing. The lag is gone, and the fingerprint scanner is awesome. I converted my uncle to upgrade to the note 5 from his note 4, and he was amazed how much smoother and faster this phone was.

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you made a good decision... the battery life is outstanding, and the reduction in size and the fact it's easier to hold in one hand then the Note 4 makes it worth choosing, in my opinion.

Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I still have my N4 and the N5 has a much better screen and much, much more comfortable to hold.

There are a few differences that you will see, not huge function differences.

It just all depends if you are fine with what you have and want to wait and see what comes next.

After comparison holding the GN 4 vs the 5, the design of the 5 won it hands down for me. Weight is better, thinner, the UI is a bit cleaner and I can easily wield it one handed, something that wasn't comfortable with the 4. I'm glad I waited, despite the two big issues most complain about.

The 100 Gig of space on One Drive is also a nice touch.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Everyone, thanks for your feedback. I have arrived at a decision, which is to go ahead with the Note 5. The decision is pretty much sealed at this point as I have gone ahead and ordered a case and screen protector for the Note 5 off of eBay. Once in my possession, I'll go down to the AT&T store and pick up the Note 5.

It mostly had to do with how the Note 5 is a much more polished device over the Note 4. I do the long haul and upgrade only once every two years so the cost is worth having something solid for the long run.

The low cost of the Note 4 was enticing (~$120 total), but for a little more, I would have something much more improved. Plus, I will likely sell my current S4 to soften the blow which makes the cost of the S5 more acceptable.

Looking forward to the Note 5 in a few days. Thanks everyone!

I just transitioned from the S4 to GN5 64 GB. It's a world of difference. It is flat amazing how much cooler the Note runs than the S4 did. I push a phone hard, real hard, and it hasn't even gotten as hot as the S4 did at idle, yet.

Sleepy_ER_Dr

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I originally considered getting the Note 4 over the Note 5, until I saw 4GB of RAM on the Note 5. I forgot about the non-removable battery and my disappointment over the loss of the SD card decreased.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are not a media hound and big gamer, the Note 5 is fine. The issue still is the glass design that still seems pointless since a case will be on it for most anyway. Why a design more prone to breaking?

I like my 200gb microsd and 8000mah battery. I travel though and both a gamer and a media hound.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If you are not a media hound and big gamer, the Note 5 is fine. The issue still is the glass design that still seems pointless since a case will be on it for most anyway. Why a design more prone to breaking?

I like my 200gb microsd and 8000mah battery. I travel though and both a gamer and a media hound.

Every single reviewer has praised the Note 5 build quality up and down. I'm sure Samsung wanted this reaction. Instead of "just another yearly Note", this brings something new to the discussion. That's far more important to them than whether someone slaps a case on it after the fact.

Besides, have there been many reports of broken s6 phones?

Posted via the Android Central App

gdgtmom

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Had the note 4 and was amazed at the quality of the note line. Having the note 5 since launch is a while other experience. Awesome device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

gdgtmom

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure but I think the AT&T Note 4 is now on 5.1.1. I could be wrong, but if not it should be soon. That would help with performance on lollipop.

If the money is not an issue and you can live with cloud storage, your best choice is the Note 5. I moved from the 4 to the 5 and couldn't be more satisfied. No regrets here, the 5 is so much faster and smoother. Just seems to be a step above in every way. A more polished device, fit, and finish along with performance.

Posted via the Android Central App
I couldn't have said it better. Loving the note 5.

gdgtmom

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Hope you'll like it! I love mine, just the build quality, and the performance without the hit in battery is amazing. The lag is gone, and the fingerprint scanner is awesome. I converted my uncle to upgrade to the note 5 from his note 4, and he was amazed how much smoother and faster this phone was.
Coming from a iPhone 6 plus, I'm loving the note 5 way more.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a iPhone 6 plus, I'm loving the note 5 way more.

My sister thought about the 6 plus, but decided it was just too tall and went with the 6. I tried to talk her into going with the N5 instead of updating her 5S to a 6.

No luck..

gdgtmom

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
My sister thought about the 6 plus, but decided it was just too tall and went with the 6. I tried to talk her into going with the N5 instead of updating her 5S to a 6.

No luck..
I think based on my experience with the iPhone, she would have benefited more with the note 5. You just can do more. Maybe she will change her mind.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think based on my experience with the iPhone, she would have benefited more with the note 5. You just can do more. Maybe she will change her mind.

I just tell her that I understand, she isn't smart enough to understand Android lol.

She does a lot less on her phone than I do. Her new job she just started, might change that though.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Note 4 is still a great device and still as good or better than most of the other smartphones on the market. It's not even a year old yet. I had it for just less than two weeks and returned it for the Note 5 after playing around with the Note 5. The Note was kinda big for me and heavy with the Commuter case on it but felt solid in my hand still and I loved typing on that thing. However The lag on it was noticeable. Not a huge deal for me though. Call quality on the Note5 is better. People can hear me and I can hear them more clear.

I would still take the Note 4 over an S6 though. I traded an s6 in for a Note 4 I hated it so much. My S6 had HORRIBLE battery life, audio didn't seem good as well. The Note5 is a huge upgrade over the S6 even though they look similar. I really don't understand why they took the IR blaster away though. I miss that.

If you're not a user who needs removable storage and batteries I would go with a Note 5. It's faster, slightly less bulky.

However the Note 4 is still a top of the line smartphone as good or better than most on the market still and you can still find accessories everywhere for it for about another year before it's phased out of the major retailors.

I did think about the Iphone 6 plus or waiting for the new Iphone 6 plus S but it's just way way too expensive of a phone for what you get. $750 for only 16gb of memory and no Spen is way too much.If the 6 plus was $750 for the 64gb model I'd given it a shot then because IOS seems to run more smoothly imo. Good thing about Iphones is you can find accessories everywhere for the phone and more cases to choose from. For $700 I spent on the Note 5 though it's a better deal than an Iphone 6 plus. Even the Note 4 imo is better than the Current 6 plus.

So far I'm happy with my Note 5. Tons happier then when I had the s6. If the Iphone 7 looks nice next year I might give it a shot then if it's comparable with the Note 6.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay