Is anyone having any issues with excessive battery drain caused by talk time? I was having excellent battery life on my Verizon Note 5 until I used my phone for voice calls for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Verizon VoLTE, but I have noticed a considerable difference. My talk time is almost consuming as much battery as my screen.

Thanks!
    08-28-2015 12:15 AM
    Look on the second battery screen - tap the graph to get to it. Is your cell signal solid green?

Also run LTE Discovery - is your :LTE signal strong?

Weak signals cost battery.
    08-28-2015 12:44 AM
    Look on the second battery screen - tap the graph to get to it. Is your cell signal solid green?

I have not been able to access the 2nd battery screen since the rollout of Lollipop. But this is pretty consistent regardless of the area I'm traveling through.
    08-28-2015 07:37 AM
    An app like gsam would also record signal strength.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    08-28-2015 07:56 AM
    An app like gsam would also record signal strength.

Thanks dphm00,I have Gsam. How do you check signal strength history?
    08-28-2015 08:25 AM
    Thanks dphm00,I have Gsam. How do you check signal strength history?
    Click on the graph button on the lower left. Then select the phone signal on the top radio buttons.

08-28-2015 09:41 AM
    Thank you!

It doesn't seem like many people on this forum use their phones for talking much. Can anyone share their battery stats with some talk time on it, and maybe their carrier for comparison?
    08-28-2015 09:55 AM
    Just want to let people know that if you have high cell standby drain and you're on to go into the phone app settings and turn off voice over LTE. That helps my idle drain tremendously
    08-29-2015 02:19 AM

That second screen isn't available on the S6 and Note 5.
    08-29-2015 06:46 AM
    Just want to let people know that if you have high cell standby drain and you're on to go into the phone app settings and turn off voice over LTE. That helps my idle drain tremendously
    I think that will also make it so talk and data at same time won't work

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    08-29-2015 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the help but I can't find this setting to turn off. Where exactly is this feature?
    08-29-2015 11:57 AM
    Hit the phone icon and then more. It should be under those settings.
    08-29-2015 01:05 PM
    Hit the phone icon and then more. It should be under those settings.
    Still not setting it and I'm on Verizon
    Attached Thumbnails Talk Time Drain (Verizon VoLTE)-1440872650180.jpg   Talk Time Drain (Verizon VoLTE)-1440872661110.jpg  
    08-29-2015 01:24 PM
    Let me get someone with Verizon to post here and let you know where it is.
    08-29-2015 01:31 PM
    It is also called Advanced Calling with Verizon.
    08-29-2015 01:32 PM
    I don't find having advanced calling off or on makes any difference for my battery

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-29-2015 01:43 PM
    I wondered if that's what it was under. I have that turned off too. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Talk Time Drain (Verizon VoLTE)-1440873859468.jpg  
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-29-2015 01:44 PM
    I don't find having advanced calling off or on makes any difference for my battery

Posted via the Android Central App
    Seems it can make a difference for people that are having high cell standby.
    08-29-2015 01:50 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it's lillipop cause when I had Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4, and Note 5 they all had high cell standby time on Verizon. However, if you turn off wifi the high cell standby time disappears. At least it did for me and as i said that it did it for all the 3 phones mentioned. So I leave the wifi off when out and about and turn on when home or office. I use llama app to automate the wifi setting but it doesn't always work for me.... this is at least my solution and has always worked. Hopefully they'll fix...
    08-29-2015 02:03 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it's lillipop cause when I had Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4, and Note 5 they all had high cell standby time on Verizon. However, if you turn off wifi the high cell standby time disappears. At least it did for me and as i said that it did it for all the 3 phones mentioned. So I leave the wifi off when out and about and turn on when home or office. I use llama app to automate the wifi setting but it doesn't always work for me.... this is at least my solution and has always worked. Hopefully they'll fix...
    Actually that doesn't seem to be the case. I keep WiFi on all the time and have Lollipop, on 3 devices and have never had high cell standby
    08-29-2015 02:12 PM
    Actually that doesn't seem to be the case. I keep WiFi on all the time and have Lollipop, on 3 devices and have never had high cell standby
    are you on verizon? I'm sure different carriers are different. But having said that it might be Verizon's fault!

but for me it's no coincidence that all three different phones acted same and was able to resolve the situation with same solution.
    08-29-2015 02:51 PM
    No, I'm on T-mobile now, but didn't have the issue with AT&T either.
    08-29-2015 02:52 PM
    No, I'm on T-mobile now, but didn't have the issue with AT&T either.
    My friends T-mobile is fine as well...but on Verizon...not so much. Turning off wifi will help greatly.

I think people need to realize even though it's the same phone but having different carriers makes a difference with different settings and solutions to the problems. There are some problems that can be solved with universal solution but not all problems can be solved same manner.
    08-29-2015 04:41 PM
    I dont have a graph to show, because i dont talk as much on my days off.

I am on verizon, i have advanced calling turned on but video calling turned off. Talking on the phone doesn't seem to use an unusual amount of battery. I use it a lot more at work so i would def notice it if it hit the battery very hard.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    08-29-2015 06:56 PM
    I dont have a graph to show, because i dont talk as much on my days off.

I am on verizon, i have advanced calling turned on but video calling turned off. Talking on the phone doesn't seem to use an unusual amount of battery. I use it a lot more at work so i would def notice it if it hit the battery very hard.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    I keep Advanced Calling on (with Video calling enabled, though I never use it), and my battery life seems good, even if I talk a lot. Not sure what's going on. I'm on Verizon obviously.

3 things to note with turning Advanced Calling off:

1. You won't be able to have concurrent Voice and Data usage (can't call and surf the web, etc)
    2. You won't get the incredibly clear calling that you would if you call another Verizon customer with Advanced Calling turned on. It's really insane how good it sounds.
    3. On the upside, if you drop to a 3G area, voice calls won't drop with AC turned off.

Good luck.
    08-29-2015 08:04 PM