Which tempered glass is good for Galaxy Note 5 without Halo or Bubble effects?

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the one below, from Amazon, for $7.95.

No halo effect, comes with alcohol wipe and goes on very easy.

So far, it's working great!

If you search YouTube, you'll find a video that shows this protector being cut with a razor, burned with a lit cigarette, and even smashed with a hammer, and it protected the screen and showed no signs of damage!

Pretty impressive video.... (haven't tried the hammer test myself, but if anyone decides to give it a try on their brand new Note5, pleas let us know how it goes!)

:)

Screen Protector.JPG

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: which tempered glass is good for galaxy note 5 without halo or bubble effects?

I recently saw a shield that was thicker than the original glass. It that normal.

The tempered glass screen protectors come in varying thicknesses usually ranging from .20 mm to .40 mm. So they sometimes have a thick appearance on the phone. The better ones have a rounded edge.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I too got the ZAGG from Verizon. But I found that it was covering the front facing camera. Do you guys have the same problem. Will this be a problem while taking photos?

I've had glass screen protectors that covered the front camera many times and never experienced any issues as a result.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: which tempered glass is good for galaxy note 5 without halo or bubble effects?

I had techarmor for my 6+ and worked perfectly. Didn't even know it was on there. I'd like the same with this and works well with pen

Posted via the Android Central App

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

With the n5 it seems sometimes there are issues with the spen sliding smoothly.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Note: I am updating this post with the latest and greatest feedback from this thread. I will continue to do so on a best effort basis.

I'd love for all of us to get a short list of good and bad experience with tempered glass solutions...

Based on what I have read in this thread, it sounds like:

Good Experiences
  • Zagg - Mixed reports on glass shield covering front camera
  • Tech Armor
  • Klear Cut
  • N5 - Reported that pen does not slide smoothly
  • ID Glass - Covers entire flat surface. Installation must be precise side-to-side to avoid halo. Pen slides smoothly)
Avoid
  • JETech

Anyone have any experience with Skinomi?

Last Updated: 9/2/2015

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I'd love for all of us to get a short list of good and bad experience with tempered glass solutions...

Based on what I have read in this thread, it sounds like:

Good Experiences
- Zagg (Note: Reportedly covers front camera)
- Tech Armor
- Klear Cut
- N5 (Note: Reported that pen does not slide smoothly)

Avoid
- JETech

Anyone have any experience with Skinomi?

My Zagg doesn't cover the front cam

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I am currently using ID Glass screen which fits well, has rounded edges and is very slick when using the S pen. You need to be very careful in mounting as it is sized to cover all of the flat face of the screen and side to side mis-alignment will create a bit of a halo along one side edge. I would purchase it again. The cost was $9.99
Amazon.com: Galaxy Note 5 Screen Protector-Invisible Defender Glass[TEMPERED GLASS]The Ultimate Clear Shield for High Definition Quality, Super Strong Clear Protection, Anti-Scratch Technology for Galaxy Note 5: Cell Phones & Accessories

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I am currently using ID Glass screen which fits well, has rounded edges and is very slick when using the S pen. You need to be very careful in mounting as it is sized to cover all of the flat face of the screen and side to side mis-alignment will create a bit of a halo along one side edge. I would purchase it again. The cost was $9.99
Amazon.com: Galaxy Note 5 Screen Protector-Invisible Defender Glass[TEMPERED GLASS]The Ultimate Clear Shield for High Definition Quality, Super Strong Clear Protection, Anti-Scratch Technology for Galaxy Note 5: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks for the feedback... I've updated my recommendations post:

Updated List of Recommended Tempered Glass Solutions

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

which tempered glass covered the Note 5 edge-to-edge? (preferably sold or shipped by Amazon.com... or at Verizon, AT&T, or Best Buy local stores)

I bought the TechArmor one, but it didn't.(although I've used them on my other phone with great results) TechArmor customer service rep told me that they were working on a new one that "may" cover the Note 5 edge-to-edge.

Thanks!

JawjaBill

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

2nd that emotion on the JETech. It is on the way back to Amazon tomorrow. Stopped by 1st Verizon and they said Best Buy only carries Zagg. I have learned not to argue with people. Stopped by a 2nd location and scooped 1 up. I have $25/30 tied up in tempered glass returns so it was a time saver for me to just get the Zagg.

Last edited:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

2nd that emotion on the JETech. It is on the way back Amazon tomorrow. Stopped by 1st Verizon and they said Best Buy only carries Zagg. I have learned not to argue with people. Stopped by a 2nd location and scooped 1 up. I have $25/30 tied up in tempered glass returns so it was a time saver for me to just get the Zagg.

doesn't Verizon(corporate store and verizonwireless.com) also have a Verizon-branded tempered glass screen protector? has anyone tried that one? I believe it's about $24, after my employee discount.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I meant this one from verizonwireless.com $18.74 after 25% employee discount. I like the design because it does not cover the front camera lens.

If the Toyota tempered glass screen protector that I just ordered from Amazon doesn't work out, I'll probably try the Verizon one.

verizon_note5_glass.jpg

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

*Update from previous posts*

I had the Zagg Invisibleshield and got it installed by best buy for $7. The 1st few days there was a dead zone about 1x1 inch in the bottom right of the screen where my s-pen wouldn't write unless I pressed extra hard. After 2 weeks the protector started lifting in the top corner so I went to 2 best buys and they called other nearby best buys and nobody had the Invisibleshield. I got annoyed so I let them replace it with the plastic Zagg HDX shield but it was applied slightly off centered which caused it to rub against my case and eventually after a few days started to lift on the sides. I took it back and best buy had no Zagg protectors at all for the note 5. I got a refund but they didn't refund my installation fee. I went on ebay ordered 2 generic $2.50 tempered 9h extra thick glass. Applied it myself almost perfectly and it's great! The only thing I miss about the Zagg Invisibleshield is the nicely slopped edges. The cheap $2 tempered glass I got has a little sharper edges but with my case on I don't even notice the edges.

PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

This is what I'm using. No bubbles at all. No raising on the edges.

uploadfromtaptalk1443156218390.jpg

Sent using my gorgeous Korean Phone and its clicky stick...

MK Redding

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm using the Supershieldz no complaints here except for maybe one. Has anyone come across a screen protector with a hole for the home button instead of a slot?

Last edited:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone come across a screen protector with a hole for the home button instead of a slot? I'm using the Supershieldz no complaints here

Are you saying the Supershieldz has a hole for the home button?

I'm also looking for a tempered glass screen protector with a hole instead of a slot. (also one that does NOT cover the front camera)

MK Redding

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Sorry for the confusion I was stating that I'm using the Supershieldz and asking if anyone came across a TGSP with a hole instead of a slot.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

There a so many threads here and on XDA regarding N5 protectors. After owning a bunch of the available protectors, and spending too much time researching this topic and providing feedback here and on XDA, here's what I can add:

- There is absolutely no consensus on what brand works on the N5.
- For those that have had perfect, non-halo results out of the box, that's awesome.
- For those that have dedicated time to working the edges with various techniques, including the hairdryers, that's awesome as well.

Still for nearly every report of a brand that "works", there's a report that is just doesn't. As I said, no consensus.
Consider researching threads here and on XDA and you'll find deep info on tons of brands.

With other phones that have totally flat displays, you find that while plenty of poster have their favorite brands, there's plenty of consensus on brands that work for just about everyone. Not with the N5. Not yet.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Agreed