Which tempered glass is good for Galaxy Note 5 without Halo or Bubble effects?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: which tempered glass is good for galaxy note 5 without halo or bubble effects?

There a so many threads here and on XDA regarding N5 protectors. After owning a bunch of the available protectors, and spending too much time researching this topic and providing feedback here and on XDA, here's what I can add:

- There is absolutely no consensus on what brand works on the N5.
- For those that have had perfect, non-halo results out of the box, that's awesome.
- For those that have dedicated time to working the edges with various techniques, including the hairdryers, that's awesome as well.

Still for nearly every report of a brand that "works", there's a report that is just doesn't. As I said, no consensus.
Consider researching threads here and on XDA and you'll find deep info on tons of brands.

With other phones that have totally flat displays, you find that while plenty of poster have their favorite brands, there's plenty of consensus on brands that work for just about everyone. Not with the N5. Not yet.

Which can only lead to the conclusion that operator error in the installation is most likely the issue with many of the "halo" effect installations.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: which tempered glass is good for galaxy note 5 without halo or bubble effects?

Which can only lead to the conclusion that operator error in the installation is most likely the issue with many of the "halo" effect installations.

If I was truly new to this cell phone thing, I might have to agree with you.

But, I've been installing protectors for years, on lots of different phones, with lots of brands of protectors, with great results. I got this. To say that I've suddenly lost my ability to properly install a protector, and that this sudden inability has continued across all of the glass protectors I've installed on the N5 in the past few weeks, is a stretch, to say the least.

It's fine that this is your conclusion. Not sure many here, or on XDA would agree.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

But, I've been installing protectors for years, on lots of different phones, with lots of brands of protectors, with great results. I got this. To say that I've suddenly lost my ability to properly install a protector, and that this sudden inability has continued across all of the glass protectors I've installed on the N5 in the past few weeks, is a stretch, to say the least.

It's fine that this is your conclusion. Not sure many here, or on XDA would agree.

same here.... I can't remember how many times I locked myself in the bathroom to apply the tempered glass screen saver. (after getting the bathroom hot and steamy, to avoid as much dust particles as possible) :)

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I obviously didn't make myself clear. I wasn't implying you didn't know how to install a glass screen. What I was trying to say (abet poorly it seems) is that many of the posters over the last couple of years with the Note 4 and Note 5 were not using the necessary care to correctly place the glass screen on the display of these phones with the curved glass edges. While some screens dimensions were very poorly done especially in the early Note 4 days, today most manufacturers are doing a better job now. And the likelihood of wide variations of phone screen dimension and screen protector variance is small. Thus, in order for the same screen make and model being the culprit in some installations of that make and model and not in others would seem to be low. Hence the major variable left is installation variation. And you are absolutely correct, this is my opinion not gospel.

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

Saw some on groupon. Has anyone used them. Reviews look a bit suspect.

Last edited:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I obviously didn't make myself clear. I wasn't implying you didn't know how to install a glass screen. What I was trying to say (abet poorly it seems) is that many of the posters over the last couple of years with the Note 4 and Note 5 were not using the necessary care to correctly place the glass screen on the display of these phones with the curved glass edges. While some screens dimensions were very poorly done especially in the early Note 4 days, today most manufacturers are doing a better job now. And the likelihood of wide variations of phone screen dimension and screen protector variance is small. Thus, in order for the same screen make and model being the culprit in some installations of that make and model and not in others would seem to be low. Hence the major variable left is installation variation. And you are absolutely correct, this is my opinion not gospel.

I bought two ZAAG protectors directly from Verizon. (4 days apart) Ibought two note 5 phones because they were only $269 each.(with the $400-off deal at Verizon) Anyway, I was kind of shocked that those two ZAAG protectors were cut differently. (especially the top edge near the two sensors and around the home button on the bottom) One was also a tiny bit wider than the other(which cause a bit of halo). The other one was perfect. I guess they have quality control issues during manufacturing? I return the one that was a tiny bit wider and will see if the replacement will fit like my other Note 5.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I bought two ZAAG protectors directly from Verizon. (4 days apart) Ibought two note 5 phones because they were only $269 each.(with the $400-off deal at Verizon) Anyway, I was kind of shocked that those two ZAAG protectors were cut differently. (especially the top edge near the two sensors and around the home button on the bottom) One was also a tiny bit wider than the other(which cause a bit of halo). The other one was perfect. I guess they have quality control issues during manufacturing? I return the one that was a tiny bit wider and will see if the replacement will fit like my other Note 5.

Hearing about the seemingly poor quality control by Zagg for a product they charge a top drawer price for doesn't exactly inspire me to try their products in the future. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Hearing about the seemingly poor quality control by Zagg for a product they charge a top drawer price for doesn't exactly inspire me to try their products in the future. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The Zagg does have poor quality! I'm taking mine back today! It has not worked on my phone and they have put 2 on there already!

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

DvineMzM

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Note: I am updating this post with the latest and greatest feedback from this thread. I will continue to do so on a best effort basis.

I'd love for all of us to get a short list of good and bad experience with tempered glass solutions...

Based on what I have read in this thread, it sounds like:

Good Experiences
  • Zagg - Mixed reports on glass shield covering front camera
  • Tech Armor
  • Klear Cut
  • N5 - Reported that pen does not slide smoothly
  • ID Glass - Covers entire flat surface. Installation must be precise side-to-side to avoid halo. Pen slides smoothly)
Avoid
  • JETech

Anyone have any experience with Skinomi?

Last Updated: 9/2/2015

I've got Skinomi on mine. No issues with the s-pen but it doesn't cover edge to edge as I'd prefer. I can see the edges of the screen protector inside my Verus case... which I hate. I'm thinking of going with a non-glass protector instead.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

I bought ZAGG Glass from Best Buy when I first got my Note at launch and it does NOT cover the front camera and it sits perfectly with no bubbles or halo effect. My iPhone 6 Plus, however, does have a halo effect from ZAGG Glass, but my Note 5 does not.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site

My coworker just showed me the Note 5 he got yesterday at Verizon and he told me I got the glass for it,and I looked at his screen protector and it has no halo,Verizon tempered glass protector for $25 I'm thinking of scooping one up .

Posted via the Android Central App

ListenToJulian

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

I've seen the same protector installed on 2 different phones & 1 had the halo effect, the other did not. If you've already come across this issue here's a video on How to fix (or significantly reduce) "Halo" effect/Ghost Ring on glass screen protectors. It works even better if you use a blow dryer/ heat gun
https://youtu.be/6tuXn5qP4p4

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I believe that Zagg is redesigning the glass for the Note 5. The glass on my wife's Note 5 was peeling up from her changing cases every other day. Called Zagg and they are sending a replacement but it will not ship until November. They said the glass was being reworked and would not ship until Nov. We will see.

Kyle Hartman

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I use Verizon's and make them put it on. If there's a problem, they get to do it again until it's perfect.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I use Verizon's and make them put it on. If there's a problem, they get to do it again until it's perfect.

did the Verizon people put it on without any halos?

Paul Rezendes

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm sick of it. I have gone through so many brands now that I just left it as is. Some are worse than others. Its the slight curve of the screen edge that causes it. Unless they shape the protectors with a curve to match it will be a problem. Only solution to to make them smaller and you are stuck with a protector that looks small.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm sick of it. I have gone through so many brands now that I just left it as is. Some are worse than others. Its the slight curve of the screen edge that causes it. Unless they shape the protectors with a curve to match it will be a problem. Only solution to to make them smaller and you are stuck with a protector that looks small.

I have given up as well! I have just come to the conclusion that there is not a good tempered glass screen protector for the Note 5!

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

there are other screen protectors that aren't made of tempered glass that fit well, have great clarity, and is smooth in response to the S-pen.

Note in my house!

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Yootech.

I only paid about 8 dollars for it on Amazon and I had no issues with it. I tried a skinomi tempered glass and that gave me halo/bubbles galore.

Seriously, get the yootech one from amazon. A lot cheaper and in my experience, no issues.