Problems with Samsung wireless charging pad

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the official Samsung wireless charging pad (the one offered with the best buy pre-order). It does not work good, the phone connects then disconnects, then connects and disconnects. Etc etc. Is anyone else having this issue and is there a remedy?? I'm about to give up on the whole wireless charging thing.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It's a well known and documented issue. It happened to me as well with the freebie I got from BB. I went back to BB and replaced it with a different one and so far it's been working perfectly. I've read somewhere (maybe even this forum) that some have complained to Samsung who is telling them that they can return it to BB for a new fast charger. Not sure about the validity of that but it might be worth looking into.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there are several threads about it already. Some have problems with that charger and some don't, I'm one that does. Mine does the same as what you're describing. I have two older wireless chargers and they both work fine. I also ordered and received a new Spigen wireless charger that also works perfectly. It's the free charger that's the problem for some people, not the phone and not a problem with wireless charging.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Since the new Samsung 2A output wireless charging puck is not yet available I am guessing that you got the older version which has an output lower than 2A. This would definitely make charging the Note 5 difficult. For example my Samsung S4 rectangular wireless charging pad will not charge my Note 5 though it did charge the Note 3 and the Note 4 very very slowly.

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
It works perfect if you turn the phone off. It's a software glitch per best buy employee. I have a otterbox on mine and when power off it charged full in 45 minutes from 45% battery

Posted via the Android Central App

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
You have to enable day dream on your phone so it doesn't shut off through wireless charging capability after a few minutes. This fixed my issue

Posted via the Android Central App

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup...same issue here...

My first one stopped charging after 40 seconds... It was consistent and I was able to reproduce the behavior every single time...

My second one (replacement) acts exactly as the OP describes... It goes on and off all night... When I wake up in the morning, the phone eventually charges to about 95%... My guess is that it eventually gets to 100%, and then turns itself off, and then my phone discharges naturally to 95%...

I'd love to replace the charger with something more reliable... Anyone know of an official replacement policy on this? I don't trust the stories that Samsung is somehow promising that Best Buy will replace the standard charger with the fast charger... The story doesn't make sense to me... I believe that people are being told that...I just don't think Best Buy will actually do that...

papaofdaneel

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
This might sound stupid but make sure when you put your phone down on the charger that Samsung branding on the charger and your phone is laying the same. So pretty much if you lay your phone on the charger the top of the phone should be facing the chargers cable.

alejovh1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine from best buy 2 days ago, black one and it works flawlessly. Charges just fine. My note 5 is naked with just an invisible shield on the back

JPK Omaha

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Samsung charger EPPG920IBUGUS is not the correct charger for Note 5. It will not charge my phone above 52%. According to Samsung they have a new charger for Note 5 "coming soon" model EP-PN920TBEGUS. Here is the new webpage for this product: samsung[dot]com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-PN920TBEGUS. Samsung has refused to send me the new charger in return for the incorrect one.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is a right or a wrong Qi wireless charger, is there?

The Samsung Note 5 is supposed to be Qi compatible... The new charger supports wireless quick charging, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to use a standard Qi charger and accept a slower charge...

Same with the adaptive fast wired charger... Granted, it is a better charger for the Note 5...but that doesn't mean that you can't use a standard charger without any issues...

My take is that the standard wireless charger has a design flaw or there is a batch of defective chargers that left the factory... The standard Qi charger should work correctly, but it doesn't...

That said, I do want the fast charger that you mentioned is "coming soon"... Love the faster charging!

HarlyFan

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
As stupid as it sounds this problem is limited to the "Free" black charger from Best Buy. I tried 2 black ones from Best Buy with the exact same results. When I went back the 3rd time I exchanged the black one for a white one and have not had any further problems!!! I didnt want white but I dont care as long as it works!

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
As stupid as it sounds this problem is limited to the "Free" black charger from Best Buy. I tried 2 black ones from Best Buy with the exact same results. When I went back the 3rd time I exchanged the black one for a white one and have not had any further problems!!! I didnt want white but I dont care as long as it works!

No, it's not. I have the same issue with the Spigen F300w wireless charging stand.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is a right or a wrong Qi wireless charger, is there?

What I have gleaned from reading there can be. The Qi charger must have a 2A input and a minimum 1A output to correctly charge the Note 5 and a Qi charger with Qualcomm Adaptive charging ability with a 2A input and a minimum of 1.67A output to correctly fast charge the Note 5 with its 9V system.

crf450r420

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the Free charger,, I bought mine directly from Samsung and I have the same issues

I also spent good money on it to have nothing but issues. Pissed when I wake up with 60 to 80 percent battery. The phone won't last all day with a full charger. I loved my Note 3, but regret having this phone. I have to charge constantly. I've waisted a $1000 by buying this damn phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34