I am aware of the KNOX counter and that att and Verizon note 5's are not supported with the rooting available unlike the other carriers note 5's. Is it strictly the model number that determines root ability, (hardware model number specifically built for that carrier) or will unlocking, (allowing any carrier [with restrictions] ) allow the current root process to work?

Thank you for reading, Nic.
    08-29-2015 04:44 PM
    I am aware of the KNOX counter and that att and Verizon note 5's are not supported with the rooting available unlike the other carriers note 5's. Is it strictly the model number that determines root ability, (hardware model number specifically built for that carrier) or will unlocking, (allowing any carrier [with restrictions] ) allow the current root process to work?

It is the model itself. Unlocking the phone carrier is totally different than unlocking the bootloader, which is what must be done in order to root.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    08-29-2015 05:10 PM

AT&T and Verizon variants can't be rooted at all, they will not boot after rooting.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge+ Specs And Features: AT&T And Verizon Models Won’t Boot Up After Rooting [EXCLUSIVE]
    08-29-2015 05:16 PM
    Interesting read. I guess the question I have is, why would I want to root a device?
    08-29-2015 06:19 PM
    I would like to root mine just to take off any of the pre-installed software I don't want. I have never flashed ROMs just deleted bloatware.

With rooting it, you could flash an Android M ROM if you wanted.
    08-29-2015 06:22 PM
    AT&T and Verizon variants can't be rooted at all, they will not boot after rooting.
    Currently. The AT&T Note 3 couldn't be rooted either - for a long time.

(I wonder whether Samsung is really that clueless about why their last few quarters have shown losses, or whether they're actually just looking for a reason to shut down the cellphone division.)
    08-30-2015 12:19 AM
    Currently. The AT&T Note 3 couldn't be rooted either - for a long time.

(I wonder whether Samsung is really that clueless about why their last few quarters have shown losses, or whether they're actually just looking for a reason to shut down the cellphone division.)
    The AT&T and Verizon N5 and S6 Edge Plus will not boot after root. The two carriers have put this safeguard in.

Samsung is going after corporate and government contracts that Apple has always had, government and companies are. requiring this. I would prefer a commercial and personal phone and the personal not be so locked down.
    08-30-2015 12:27 AM
    08-30-2015 12:29 AM
    This is simply just to scare people from even trying and it's not true! They claimed we could not downgrade either and I've already posted proof on the XDA-Developers forum. I'm currently working on obtaining root access for the Verizon Note 5 and the tethered root is already available for the at&t variant so obviously they are full of crap with saying this. I've run into many errors trying to root it so far but it's always been recoverable!
    05-15-2016 03:57 PM
    This is simply just to scare people from even trying and it's not true! They claimed we could not downgrade either and I've already posted proof on the XDA-Developers forum. I'm currently working on obtaining root access for the Verizon Note 5 and the tethered root is already available for the at&t variant so obviously they are full of crap with saying this. I've run into many errors trying to root it so far but it's always been recoverable!
    Hey what exactly is this tethered root you speak of? And I'm considering updating to MM from 5.1.1. You think I should wait in hopes of a root solution? Thanks.
    05-16-2016 08:38 PM