09-01-2015 11:48 AM
37 12
tools
    For those who own a Note, have you cared whether you device has the latest Android OS or when it gets it. I know for some this is a big deal and especially for those who buy Nexus branded phones.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    08-29-2015 09:24 PM
    I used to really get worked up over that but not so much anymore. As long as the software that I have functions without issue I'm good.
    08-29-2015 09:32 PM
    I love getting new bugs - the old ones aren't bad enough.

Seriously? As long as the phone works, and the apps I need work on it, I could keep the same OS for 10 years. Making the screen all white on an Amoled screen isn't my idea of a well-thought-out plan.
    izanaki and General Tso like this.
    08-29-2015 10:31 PM
    It's interesting. A lot of times too many of the new features don't really get taken advantage of from even the App developers for several months or a year after the latest release.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    08-29-2015 10:48 PM
    I feel inferior unless I'm on the newest version of Android. I Judge others by the version of Android they have and if it's over a week old I tell them to beat it! Seriously though I think the latest and greatest is not always the best..

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 from my couch in Portland, Oregon
    08-29-2015 11:04 PM
    This year, as much as any, I don't think the Marshmallow additions really make a difference on the Note. The main things, to me, are fingerprint scanner support and Android Pay. Those will both already be on the Note without Marshmallow.

As long as bugs are squashed, I'm good.
    08-29-2015 11:09 PM
    I have a Nexus for that

Seriously though, the amount of 'extra' things for an end user in new preview images, especially when you look at Lollipop -> Marshmallow, they are very minimal. I am OK to trade that experience for others like - multi window, s-pen, CAMERA (yes, VERY IMPORTANT) and more. As long as Samsung can deliver at least Android M by Jan 2016, I am happy
    08-29-2015 11:15 PM
    Yes because bugs get squished.
    08-29-2015 11:19 PM
    In a way I do
    I mean I prefer not to have bugs, but it bothers me when I'm the last to get something... I like to be one of the first... It's a good and bad thing lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    08-29-2015 11:29 PM
    I could care less if my phone gets updated or has the latest OS, As long as the phone works, im good ..

Sent from my smartphone using Tapatalk Pro
    General Tso likes this.
    08-29-2015 11:30 PM
    Yes I care. There is usually something that has been improved that makes it worth while.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5
    08-29-2015 11:45 PM
    Yes always... Can't tolerate older versions. That's one reason I also have latest Nexus and sell off the non Nexus devices after few months of having fun with them !!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-29-2015 11:54 PM
    When i buy a new phone i like to have the newest version, but it doesnt me if a new version comes out later and i dont get it right away.

A good example is i bought the droid turbo on release day last year and it was on kitkat. People were mad when it wasnt getting 5.0 lollipop, and there were angry threads about it.

When we finally got the update we went straight to 5.1, which meant we missed a lot of issues that were reported when 5.0 came out. So i for one was happy to have waited.

I buy a phone for what it is when i purchase it, not how fast it will get the latest update. My turbo ran fine on kitkat, so there wasnt anything i was in a hurry for. My note4 got 5.0 first and i was underwhelmed.. couldn't see what the fuss was about.

So no, buy a buy a phone for what it is, not what it may be a year down the road...

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-30-2015 12:30 AM
    Yes, I like having the latest version.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5
    08-30-2015 04:05 AM
    After how badly the lollipop update screwed up my note 4, causing battery performance reduction and increased lag, I hope to never download an OS for a phone that has not been optimized for that particular phone... For me, I don't want to see marshmallow until the Note 6.

21stNow and thenrik like this.
    08-30-2015 06:05 AM
    Sometimes if there is a.major issue that is fixed with the new OS, but being on Verizon who never updates their OS for at least a couple of years, you get use to it. I prefer stability and once you get to know the bugs, you can work around them instead of waiting for the phone to be outdated before Verizon releases an update to fix the bug!

08-30-2015 06:33 AM
    This year, as much as any, I don't think the Marshmallow additions really make a difference on the Note. The main things, to me, are fingerprint scanner support and Android Pay. Those will both already be on the Note without Marshmallow.

As long as bugs are squashed, I'm good.
    M brings some of the most important changes to all phones.

We will have control over privacy and what is shared with apps and the ability to turn off the heads up notifications for apps we want.

Also the Doze feature can help with battery life.
    08-30-2015 08:09 AM
    M brings some of the most important changes to all phones.

We will have control over privacy and what is shared with apps and the ability to turn off the heads up notifications for apps we want.

Also the Doze feature can help with battery life.
    Right, but for most users, the big guys are the fingerprint scanner and Android Pay. I don't think I'd even touch the permissions. Now doze could be good, but wasn't Project Volta already supposed to make these phones last for weeks? ๐Ÿ˜œ
    izanaki likes this.
    08-30-2015 08:32 AM
    Right, but for most users, the big guys are the fingerprint scanner and Android Pay. I don't think I'd even touch the permissions. Now doze could be good, but wasn't Project Volta already supposed to make these phones last for weeks? ๐Ÿ˜œ
    Oh the permissions is great, you control what info feom your phone you share with a developer, one like Facebook..
    08-30-2015 08:51 AM
    Oh the permissions is great, you control what info feom your phone you share with a developer, one like Facebook..
    Oh I know what it does. I just won't use it, and I doubt most other users will - other than the tech savvy. I think you're going to run into some non-techy people getting mad because their app doesn't work properly because they shut off some permissions.
    08-30-2015 08:57 AM
    Oh I know what it does. I just won't use it, and I doubt most other users will - other than the tech savvy. I think you're going to run into some non-techy people getting mad because their app doesn't work properly because they shut off some permissions.
    Oh I think it will be a big thing, especially here. Of course all the Android sites will tell people what everything does if turned off.

The other big thing is being able to stop heads up notifications. They have already caused major headaches with many on Lollipop.
    08-30-2015 09:00 AM
    Oh I think it will be a big thing, especially here. Of course all the Android sites will tell people what everything does if turned off.

The other big thing is being able to stop heads up notifications. They have already caused major headaches with many on Lollipop.
    I still think it'll be more for the tech savvy, like this site on others like it. I like the idea, but I can foresee the headaches for some. And the head's up notifications don't bother me, but I understand they do to some people. On 5.1.1 you can just swipe them way.

And I'm not saying there aren't quality features in Marshmallow, just that to most users, the big things are already on Samsung phones.
    08-30-2015 09:08 AM
    If I keep my note 5 ,and they release M I will wait it out and see how people's experience is because I have experienced many times that the original software that came with the phone ran better than the upgraded software, at least that is my personal experience,and right now this note 5 is smooth as butter.

Driftinganomaly likes this.
    08-30-2015 09:12 AM
    I still think it'll be more for the tech savvy, like this site on others like it. I like the idea, but I can foresee the headaches for some. And the head's up notifications don't bother me, but I understand they do to some people. On 5.1.1 you can just swipe them way.

And I'm not saying there aren't quality features in Marshmallow, just that to most users, the big things are already on Samsung phones.
    The swiping away the notifications isn't the issue, it is the privacy issue and then when someone goes nuts on Facebook and posts about 10 comments and it covers your map whole driving.

I've always been able to swipe then away.
    08-30-2015 09:13 AM
    The swiping away the notifications isn't the issue, it is the privacy issue and then when someone goes nuts on Facebook and posts about 10 comments and it covers your map whole driving.

I've always been able to swipe then away.
    I must not have that Facebook issue. I just meant I swipe up so they just disappear back into the notification bar. First World Problems, I guess...
    08-30-2015 10:01 AM
37 12