Any opinions on it?

Do you lose any s-pen features if you use the Google launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-29-2015 10:13 PM
    Nope, no pen features lost. Still works just like always.

I personally hate Samsung's software design, so I've done everything possible to change the look of everything to be more material.

Only thing is that with a custom launcher enabled, you will no longer be able to theme the app icons

08-29-2015 10:33 PM
    I'm using google now launcher with icon changer. You can change any icon to stock. Looks great
    08-29-2015 11:57 PM
    The google now launcher is pretty cool, i like it. However the touchwiz on the note5 is good enough now i have stayed with it.

But if you want a more google feel, you cant go wrong with the google now launcher.

Carlo Villa likes this.
    08-30-2015 12:32 AM
    I know everyone has their own preferences, but I don't understand the decision to move to less options. I've tried the Google launcher, I even have the Nexus 7. After playing around with my Nexus 7 for about 30 minutes, it was upgraded to Nova Prime.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but Nova Prime gives me so much more control over what my phone is and how it works for me.

Again, I realize everyone has their own preferences. This is the beauty of Android, together but different.

gendo667 and Carlo Villa like this.
    08-30-2015 06:38 AM
    Don't own a Note 5... yet.

I am a huge Nova Prime user for years now, but I have also come to appreciate keeping native functions that you can't get with 3rd party launchers. Currently on my LG G2, I live with the stock launcher.

So what do you lose when using a 3rd party launchers on the Note?
    08-30-2015 07:41 AM
    The only thing you lose with a 3Rd party launcher is the ability to use Samsung widgets.
    I'very been using nova for years and see no reason to change. Having the home screen in landscape was my primary reason, but having so many gestures means I can start many apps without having to go into the app drawer or having icons all over the home screen making my phone look like a PC.
    08-30-2015 08:04 AM
    Landscape is the #1 thing I miss from Nova - agreed.
    I like your idea of using gestures to launch apps. Always knew it was there in Nova, never used it.
    Good to hear that widgets are the only thing you lose.
    So, all the S-Pen cool sh*t is still there. Nice.
    08-30-2015 08:30 AM
    So if you install a 3rd party launcher do you lose the auto popup air command when you take out the S pen? And the ability to write on the screen while it's inactive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    08-30-2015 09:08 AM
    So if you install a 3rd party launcher do you lose the auto popup air command when you take out the S pen? And the ability to write on the screen while it's inactive?

No, you still have all the air command functions.

As mentioned above, the Gesture commands are also awesome in Nova Prime. I use several of them, I've been double tapping the screen to launch the camera for over a year now on my Note 4 and although you can double tap the home key on the Note 5 for this, I still catch myself using the Nova gesture to open the camera.

Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-30-2015 10:08 AM
    No doubt Nova is the king of all custom launchers. Google Now is a basic launcher with minimal customizations, which comes down to just adding widgets to your screens and Google Now always available when you swipe right from your home screen.

I use it from time to time if I get bored with Nova and Touchwiz.

Carlo Villa likes this.
    08-30-2015 10:21 PM
    No doubt Nova is the king of all custom launchers. Google Now is a basic launcher with minimal customizations, which comes down to just adding widgets to your screens and Google Now always available when you swipe right from your home screen.

I use it from time to time if I get bored with Nova and Touchwiz.

I'm one of the weirdos that likes the big icons on the Google Now Launcher.
    08-31-2015 05:39 AM
    Well I guess there is no real reason for me to use TouchWiz then if the S Pen functionality is still there.

08-31-2015 04:46 PM
    Tried Nova launcher but something about it feels a bit laggy or it doesn't snap properly or something. I'll just stay with TW it works.

Edit:

Actually I retract that I'm unsure what was happening before but nova seems to be good now.

09-05-2015 07:04 AM
    I know this is almost a year after the fact but the Google Now Launcher does allow for home screen in landscape.
    06-04-2016 01:12 AM

I personally hate Samsung's software design, so I've done everything possible to change the look of everything to be more material.

Only thing is that with a custom launcher enabled, you will no longer be able to theme the app icons

Not true ,if you use Nova launcher you can change icons no problem. There are hundred of icons ans icon packs to chose from.

06-04-2016 01:17 AM

Awesome Icons man. Change up icons on almost any launcher, including GNL.
    06-04-2016 07:38 AM
    Somehow I never appreciated changing icons. Most of them only change a maximum of 80% of them. Also, icons on my edge screen (note edge) doesn't change.

06-04-2016 11:30 AM
    Don't own a Note 5... yet.

I am a huge Nova Prime user for years now, but I have also come to appreciate keeping native functions that you can't get with 3rd party launchers. Currently on my LG G2, I live with the stock launcher.

So what do you lose when using a 3rd party launchers on the Note?
    If you use any other launcher you cannot have the Flipboard magazine swipe to the left

06-05-2016 05:35 AM