Thinking of switching to T-mobile from AT&T

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I have the Note 5 (awesome phone) that I bought from Best Buy. I have the AT&T version.
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile as their unlimited plan is cheaper than the 5GB plan on AT&T.
Will the AT&T version of the phone work on T-mobile or should I return it to Best Buy and get the T-Mobile version?
Is there any difference or benefit in having the T-Mobile version?
Thanks for your insight!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
At&t version does not have LTE band 12, no wifi calling and because it has the At&t firmware won't get updates that are pushed out by them with a T Mobile sim in it. It will work on T Mobile but not as well as their model if the listed exceptions matter to you. If I were switching and were in a position to exchange the phone without penalty I would.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what LTE band 12 is...but it does sound like I should get the T-Mobile version if I'm going to switch. Thanks for the input!

Band 12 is in the 700 mhz spectrum that T Mobile is rolling out, it may not even be in your area. But the lower bands like this are better for building penetration and indoor reception. What's frustrating is this carrier specific models. At&t version doesn't have band 12 and the T Mobile version doesn't have band 17. Why can't they have one model that has both, would solve some of these issues and make switching carriers much easier.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Thinking of switching to T-mobile from AT&T

Band 12 is in the 700 mhz spectrum that T Mobile is rolling out, it may not even be in your area. But the lower bands like this are better for building penetration and indoor reception. What's frustrating is this carrier specific models. At&t version doesn't have band 12 and the T Mobile version doesn't have band 17. Why can't they have one model that has both, would solve some of these issues and make switching carriers much easier.
Because Samsung is in bed with carriers, both them and carriers give a [language removed] to what customers want.

I still can't believe I had to buy the crappy carrier branded T-Mobile version, why can't they just sell the unbranded version without any carrier stuff directly from their website and make our lives easier. I don't care about any T-Mobile crap or Wi-Fi calling and don't want to wait on updates from a carrier when the OEMs could push them much faster to unbranded phones.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Sugoru6

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Be sure to check how good a reception you have (by asking those who have t mobile). T mobile is great where I am but my mother has horrible reception where she's at. Thankfully t mobile supports wifi calling. Anyway I switched from AT&T to tmobile 3 months ago and it was well worth it. I already used the jump on demand for a new phone twice (I'm pretty picky) but I know I'll stay with the note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I have the Note 5 (awesome phone) that I bought from Best Buy. I have the AT&T version.
I am thinking of switching to T-Mobile as their unlimited plan is cheaper than the 5GB plan on AT&T.
Will the AT&T version of the phone work on T-mobile or should I return it to Best Buy and get the T-Mobile version?
Is there any difference or benefit in having the T-Mobile version?
Thanks for your insight!

I did and couldn't be happier.

If you ate in a low signal area or just don't get great signal in your house, they will give you the best ever signal booster for free. It handled calls and LTE data. Even if you only get LTE in part of your house, this will spread it through your house.

You can also buy a cheap tracfone or have an old working phone and turn that in for your ETF's to be paid. We did both for different lines. I kept my AT&T Note 4 instead of turning it in.

Get the T-Mobile version of the phone. Thru have a special for Jump on Demand and you only pay $24 and some change a month. Also you can upgrade for free, three times in 12 months.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm returning my Verizon Note 5 tomorrow to move to t-mobile. I am not going to risk waiting around for Samsung Pay and I don't like having a forever locked bootloader. I don't trust android updates with carriers and won't risk being forever on a un-updated android release because I can see this being a keeper phone for quite sometime. The only thing I will miss is Message+ as it allows me to text on my laptop like an iPhone

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm returning my Verizon Note 5 tomorrow to move to t-mobile. I am not going to risk waiting around for Samsung Pay and I don't like having a forever locked bootloader. I don't trust android updates with carriers and won't risk being forever on a un-updated android release because I can see this being a keeper phone for quite sometime. The only thing I will miss is Message+ as it allows me to text on my laptop like an iPhone

The best idea everb! I just moved from Verizon to T-Mobile and from top to bottom, everything is better.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Unrelated to switching carriers, but just use Pushbullet for SMS from your laptop. Works beautifully.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

If you have 4 you can put on the account, you can still get 4 lines for $140 a month and each line has 10 gb of data.

Also, if they don't have 64 gb in your store (try and find one that does) you can get on Jump on Demand and the cost per month is less than the 32 gb. That won't show on your contract, but T-Mobile is offering a special that many in the stores are not aware of and you will get a credit each month to bring your price down to $24 and change. If you can't find a 64 gb in a store, as the manager ro order one and have it sent to the STORE, not you. Jump on Demand has to be done in store and the manager ordering and shipping to the store, qualifies.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If you have 4 you can put on the account, you can still get 4 lines for $140 a month and each line has 10 gb of data.

Also, if they don't have 64 gb in your store (try and find one that does) you can get on Jump on Demand and the cost per month is less than the 32 gb. That won't show on your contract, but T-Mobile is offering a special that many in the stores are not aware of and you will get a credit each month to bring your price down to $24 and change. If you can't find a 64 gb in a store, as the manager ro order one and have it sent to the STORE, not you. Jump on Demand has to be done in store and the manager ordering and shipping to the store, qualifies.

That's awesome! I was planning on visiting the tmobile store tomorrow. Thanks!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

That's awesome! I was planning on visiting the tmobile store tomorrow. Thanks!

Yes, do soon.. It is only a special until 9/8. If you need ETF fees paid, don't trade in good phones for that. Just use old ones or even buy cheap ones. We bought a tracfone for $4.95 at target for one trade in. No credit bit we just wanted ETF's paid.

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, do soon.. It is only a special until 9/8. If you need ETF fees paid, don't trade I'm good phones for that. Just use old ones or even buy cheap ones. We bought a tracfone for $4.95 at target for one trade in. No credit bit we just wanted ETF's paid.

My tmobile rep told a lady to go to Walmart (tmobile was on the corner of the Walmart store) and sell her iPhone.

My tmobile had 64GB, but I went early on launch day because I happen to take the day off. Not in purpose, just worked out great that way.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I just moved to T-mobile yesterday and still use message+ with my Note 5.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
OP here.
I went to t-mobile yesterday and now I'm kind of disappointed.
They didn't have the 64 GB in stock so I asked if I could have one sent to me and the girl said yes of course.
So she got me signed up for a new account, that part went smoothly. But when she went to order the phone she goes through the whole process and then at the end informs me that she can't do jump on demand. I'm like what??? That's how you sold me on this in the first place. So she calls her store manager, at home I'm assuming since he wasn't at work, and he tells her that the note 5 isn't eligible for jump on demand.

So I ended up paying full price but I would rather have jump on demand. Also when I check my t-mobile account there are TWO phones shipping to me. She somehow ordered it twice.

I can afford paying full price, but really would have rather been on jump on demand. What can I do now?

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
OP here.
They didn't have the 64 GB in stock so I asked if I could have one sent to me and the girl said yes of course.
So she got me signed up for a new account, that part went smoothly. But when she went to order the phone she goes through the whole process and then at the end informs me that she can't do jump on demand. I'm like what??? That's how you sold me on this in the first place. So she calls her store manager, at home I'm assuming since he wasn't at work, and he tells her that the note 5 isn't eligible for jump on demand.

So I ended up paying full price but I would rather have jump on demand. Also when I check my t-mobile account there are TWO phones shipping to me. She somehow ordered it twice.

I can afford paying full price, but really would have rather been on jump on demand. What can I do now?

It is. It shows the jump on demand thing on their Web page with a note plastered in the add.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My tmobile rep told a lady to go to Walmart (tmobile was on the corner of the Walmart store) and sell her iPhone.

My tmobile had 64GB, but I went early on launch day because I happen to take the day off. Not in purpose, just worked out great that way.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Yes.. You always want to keep an expensive phone to either sell or for a back up, never trade in. T-Mobile takes anything for trade in for ETF's.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

OP here.

No, no, no, no..

The Note 5 is eligible for JOD, having it shipped to you is not eligible for JOD. The manager can order it and have it shipped to the store.

You need to talk to the manager and ask them to do that and then you return the phone you have. If it is one shipped to you, then you have to ship it back.

I just went through all of this with the executive department and a different store, because the first store didn't know about doing this either. It is even on the CEO's blog on T-Mobile, introducing Jump on Demand. Many stores don't carry the higher gb phones, larger stores do, but you can have the manager order it, ship it to the store and then you come in and do the contract.

And I am posting this on my Note 5 that is on JOD.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Oh, of the phone isn't here yet, you can refuse shipment and don't have to ship it back.

Also if you tweet the CEO that you are upset with how your upgrade was handled, the lack of knowledge and mistakes, the executive team will tweet you back and even call you after that if you ask them. They can help a lot in making it right.

But if there are other T-Mobile stores around you, call and see if they have the one you are looking for in stock.