Apps randomly popping open when I unlock it

cerktman

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This phone is basically the most perfect phone I've ever used, but there is one real quirk/bug that I don't quite understand. When I unlock my phone with the fingerprint sensor a random app will be open. It happens about half the time I unlock it, and it isn't a huge deal, but it's a little bothersome to unlock the phone (which I absolutely love coming from the swipe mechanism) and see some random app open.

Having the same issue. Came across the problem within first day of having the phone. Happens with stock TW launcher, using Google Launcher and Nova for me.

Has anyone noticed if it is only when using the fingerprint unlock or does it occur if that isn't used? I haven't had opportunity to test yet.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also remember the bezel is very small on this phone it can be very easy to touch an app with part of your finger when holding the phone.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Also remember the bezel is very small on this phone it can be very easy to touch an app with part of your finger when holding the phone.

The only thing is it happens as soon as the phone unlocks and my finger is still on the sensor and I'm doing it one handed so there is no possible way I'm touching anything but that fingerprint reader and the apps are so sporadically different and completely far away from me being able to accidentally hit them. I do think it's only apps I have on my homescreen when I think about it. But something is off. It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing is it happens as soon as the phone unlocks and my finger is still on the sensor and I'm doing it one handed so there is no possible way I'm touching anything but that fingerprint reader and the apps are so sporadically different and completely far away from me being able to accidentally hit them. I do think it's only apps I have on my homescreen when I think about it. But something is off. It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying.

Only apps I have accidentally opened are the ones in the dock at the bottom of the phone.

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was just about to post about this. Its been happening to me for the past two days and its only been the Play Store app that keeps opening. I am using TW. Not sure why this started all of a sudden but its pretty freaking annoying!

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jumping on the ship with everyone else. Same here and I'm running Nova Prime and it's the same app opening when it does happen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I forgot that this seems to be happening in Nova, in which case Safe Mode won't help. Sorry!

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I forgot that this seems to be happening in Nova, in which case Safe Mode won't help. Sorry!

I thought I saw someone say TouchWiz.

Also for those running Nova, you probably want to email support. They are very good at looking into support issues on my experience.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought I saw someone say TouchWiz.

Also for those running Nova, you probably want to email support. They are very good at looking into support issues on my experience.

I'll definitely do so, but I'm wondering with some on TouchWiz being plagued with it too is it a glitch in random note 5 softwares. It's only happened once so far today, but I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be happening at all.

rabn

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey, so I had the same thing happen to me and it was unbelievably frustrating. I fixed it by uninstalling the Google Play Games app. If you have that app try uninstalling it. I had to install it to play a puzzle game but honestly the game wasn't that good enough to deal with the frustration of randomly opening apps. Hopefully it works out for you! My life has been much less frustrating as a result.

Cheers!

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Try wiping the cache. Might solve the problem. Lots of minor glitches can be resolved with a cache wipe. I had a problem where my Internet 4g icon didn't show up on the top status bar at times. Was fixed after this.
To do this, first turn off the device. Then turn it back on by holding the power button, volume up and home button until an android logo appears (might take some time, and might say "installing update"). At this point let go of the power button but keep the other two pressed. From the menu select 'wipe cache partition' using the volume keys and press the power button to perform it (a message at the bottom will notify once it's done) then select 'reboot system now' to restart it in normal mode.

james daa

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had this problem on my Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S5. I am using the stock lock screen but nova prime launcher. The app that opens is always the one on the bottom right in the app dock. I have 3 dock rows. And whichever is in the bottom right when the screen locks will be the one that launches whether or not it has been used.
it seems to activate then the lock activates not by the act of unlocking. When i am using spotify and have the app open. If younnotice the play pause control is on the bottom right. If inleave it there and click the power botton or allow the screen to time out, the song will pause. I had the same issue with GO Launcher.

It happens maybe 50% of the time.

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been having this same issue for a while now. Both on my Note 5 and S6. TouchWiz or Nova, it doesn't matter. It can be any app I have on my phone that randomly opens when I unlock my screen. I've tried wiping the cache partition and that doesn't help. I've tried closing all apps before lock my screen. Still does it.

gfcpinto

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here! But I really believe it's related to the Nova Launcher. To me the issue started after I installed it.
No matter where I left it when I locked the phone, when unlocking it, the recent apps screen pops up. Almost 70% of the time. Come to the phone, fingerprint scanner unlocking it, recent apps, without pressing anything for it to happen.
It's annoying :/. Don't know what to do.

Gantry

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Another "me too" - Note5 on Sprint, rooted. Can't remember exactly when it started but want to say 5-7 days ago. Mine brings up recent apps a good 2/3rds of the time. Fingerprint unlock.

I too used Nova Launcher, but I switched to Google Launcher. Same problem. Even uninstalled Nova to be sure and the problem persists.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure when it stopped happening, but it was so long ago, that I forgot it was a problem. That's weird people are still experiencing it, because I think mine was fixed with one of Samsung's small updates from late last year, or one of Nova's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20