Do I need an international sim card to take my Note 5 to Europe?

A

AC Question

Do I need an international sim card to take my Note 5 to Europe

I am going to Europe for a few weeks. Do I need to get a international sim card to use it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do I need an international sim card to take my Note 5 to Europe

Welcome to Android Central! You have a few options:

1. Check with your carrier regarding international plans. Some carriers have better plans than others. You can typically add international calling to your plan temporarily, then revert to a domestic plan once you return. This is usually the least hassle, since you know it'll work.

2. Get a prepaid SIM card once you reach your destination in Europe. Your phone has to be carrier-unlocked (which it most likely is, but check with your carrier first). It also has to be compatible with the cellular network in Europe--this can be trickier to know.

3. If you have lots of wi-fi access in Europe, you can make calls via Hangouts Dialer (or Google Voice), often for free (depending on which countries you're calling). If you have T-Mobile, you get free mobile data when roaming internationally, and although it's slow data (2G), you can actually use this to make Hangouts or Google Voice calls as well.

NB73

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
To use your Note 5 in Europe, you will first need to check that it is not 'locked'. Domestic carriers (ie the phone company that sold you the phone) lock their handset so that it can only be used on that country's network and only with that SIM. So you'll need to check that first, and there may be a fee to get the lock removed. Once that is done, however, you can use any SIM you like, anywhere you like.

For the very cheapest rates, I'd go for a local SIM card for each European country you're visiting. This will save you the most money, but not the most time. You will have to find the right store, make sure you've got the right plan and wait to be registered, all of which will take up time you may want to spend doing other stuff. So an International SIM card makes a lot of sense, especially if you're travelling to more than one country. I've used the Telestial European SIM card before, which offers the same rates for most European countries, plus reduced calling back to several other destinations, including the USA, Australia and South Africa. The most expensive and dangerous method is to roam on your domestic plan. These rates tend to be the most expensive, and unless you're monitoring your usage like a hawk, the first you'll know about it will be when you receive your monthly bill.

Hope you have a great trip!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To use your Note 5 in Europe, you will first need to check that it is not 'locked'. Domestic carriers (ie the phone company that sold you the phone) lock their handset so that it can only be used on that country's network and only with that SIM. So you'll need to check that first, and there may be a fee to get the lock removed. Once that is done, however, you can use any SIM you like, anywhere you like.

For the very cheapest rates, I'd go for a local SIM card for each European country you're visiting. This will save you the most money, but not the most time. You will have to find the right store, make sure you've got the right plan and wait to be registered, all of which will take up time you may want to spend doing other stuff. So an International SIM card makes a lot of sense, especially if you're travelling to more than one country. I've used the Telestial European SIM card before, which offers the same rates for most European countries, plus reduced calling back to several other destinations, including the USA, Australia and South Africa. The most expensive and dangerous method is to roam on your domestic plan. These rates tend to be the most expensive, and unless you're monitoring your usage like a hawk, the first you'll know about it will be when you receive your monthly bill.

Hope you have a great trip!
Verizon sells the note 5 factory sim unlocked. Other carriers may unlock your phone for you if you meet certain criteria.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae