10-06-2015 09:39 PM
55 123
tools
    Nevermind, I'm testing it now. It was 1min 35 secs when connected to Wifi with my Note5. 7sec for my iPad. Now testing 4G on my Note5 and it still hasn't received my test email and it's been 12 minutes so far. My iPad received it in 7 sec...
    09-02-2015 11:57 PM
    I've not read all the replies yet. Maybe try removing the account, restarting the device and then add the account back.

Also, what if you use the email account via the default OS mail app, versus the google Mail app. Merely as a test...
    09-03-2015 03:53 AM
    I'm having a similar issue, but it's not with my emails, it's my other push notifications. Sports scores, eBay auction bids, etc. It's like the phone goes into some deep sleep and doest allow the notifications to register. Once I manually wake the phone up I get a barrage of notifications all at once. No idea how to fix this.
    09-03-2015 06:34 AM
    I'm having a similar issue, but it's not with my emails, it's my other push notifications. Sports scores, eBay auction bids, etc. It's like the phone goes into some deep sleep and doest allow the notifications to register. Once I manually wake the phone up I get a barrage of notifications all at once. No idea how to fix this.
    This was exactly the issue I had on two S6s and an Active. It's forced me to stay away from this phone. I don't know why this isn't a bigger issue. But I just don't trust anything from Sammy right now.
    09-03-2015 06:53 AM
    Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now.
    Unbelievable nightmare I had with the S6, can't even imagine going through this again with the Note 5.
    09-03-2015 07:55 AM
    Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now. :'
    Unbelievable nightmare I had with the S6, can't even imagine going through this again with the Note 5.
    Me too. Nuts - I wanted this phone a lot. But I'm not going to put up with an issue that's important to me and so basic that it shouldn't exist in the first place. Oh, well - hopefully they'll sort it out with the next update and I'll just get it then.
    09-03-2015 08:08 AM
    Here is a link to the S6 thread about this nightmare.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...galaxy-s6.html
    09-03-2015 08:11 AM
    I have a Verizon Note 5 from the test drive and liked it well enough that I ordered one of my own. The Test Drive phone gets push notifications instantly. The one I purchased sometimes gets them instantly but sometimes it's delayed 10-20 minutes or they come through when I wake the phone up. I've read a lot of push notification issues happen because of your router. I've tried upgrading the firmware on my router but that didn't really fix it.
    09-03-2015 11:30 AM
    Interesting. I have Google Apps for business for our work email and mine come through instantly. Only thing I could think of would be if you have WiFi on but set to sleep when the screen goes to sleep.

I have poor cell coverage at home and turned my WiFi off for about an hour and had the same issues you had. But when WiFi was on it solved my issue.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-03-2015 12:06 PM
    Was getting ready to order the Note 5 but will hold off for now.
    I did order and have decided to return it. The S6 was a nightmare for me too and I won't be dealing with a trivial, yet MAJOR, issue. I need my phone to push notifications to me. That's kind of what they're designed to do, in the simplest of senses.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    09-03-2015 04:43 PM
    I've not read all the replies yet. Maybe try removing the account, restarting the device and then add the account back.
    Also, what if you use the email account via the default OS mail app, versus the google Mail app. Merely as a test...
    The reps (Verizon and Samsung alike) tried everything, including what you have listed above and much, much more. When all else failed we reset the phone to factory defaults just in case - nothing worked. Took my phone back yesterday.
    09-03-2015 11:20 PM
    The reps (Verizon and Samsung alike) tried everything, including what you have listed above and much, much more. When all else failed we reset the phone to factory defaults just in case - nothing worked. Took my phone back yesterday.
    Did you get another Note 5 or just throw in the towel?
    09-04-2015 12:04 PM
    I've been testing this for about 30 minutes or so. To me, the issue is when the device is in 'sleep mode', i.e. when the screen is off.
    If the screen is on, and you send yourself a test email, it delivers instantly. If the screen is off, it could be anything from 1-5 minutes. Now, if you wake the screen, during the time an email was sent, it will deliver. This ONLY seems to be with GMail; my other accounts work as expected...
    09-04-2015 05:42 PM
    I've been testing this for about 30 minutes or so. To me, the issue is when the device is in 'sleep mode', i.e. when the screen is off.
    If the screen is on, and you send yourself a test email, it delivers instantly. If the screen is off, it could be anything from 1-5 minutes. Now, if you wake the screen, during the time an email was sent, it will deliver. This ONLY seems to be with GMail; my other accounts work as expected...
    Thanks, Ivan. Out of curiosity, are you using it with an Outlook Exchange account? Also, did you happen to test SMS and Hangouts? Sorry to beat a dead horse - I'm just really interested in a Note 5 (using iOS but not a huge fan) and want to know if there are any deal-breakers. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-04-2015 07:57 PM
    Thanks, Ivan. Out of curiosity, are you using it with an Outlook Exchange account? Also, did you happen to test SMS and Hangouts? Sorry to beat a dead horse - I'm just really interested in a Note 5 (using iOS but not a huge fan) and want to know if there are any deal-breakers. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine was setup as Exchange Active Sync. I do t use Hangouts, thus didn't test it. To be honest the only issue I've seen is GMail itself.

Ps: Outlook.com email works flawlessly...
    jasonrhjt likes this.
    09-04-2015 08:07 PM
    Are people with the Verizon Note 5 having this same problem?
    09-07-2015 07:16 PM
    Are people with the Verizon Note 5 having this same problem?
    I was having issues with late notifications, but it eventually fixed itself. Took like a day or two and now they come right on time. It's weird but i'm not complaining
    09-08-2015 10:52 AM
    Did you get another Note 5 or just throw in the towel?
    I didn't bother to get another one. I actually was one of the people who got one of the test Note 5s from Samsung's Ultimate Test drive thing. It did it. But I thought it was just a one-off glitch with that one so I went out and got that one for myself, and it did it, too. Then saw comments here about issues, etc. Just took it back and went back to my old phone. I just don't have time for it.

Maybe one day Samsung will at least acknowledge the issue, then fix it. If so, and I read tons of posts from folks saying "it's fixed now", then I'll go back out and get another one (if I haven't upgraded to something else by then).
    09-08-2015 11:01 AM
    To be honest the only issue I've seen is GMail itself.

Ps: Outlook.com email works flawlessly...
    Darn... wished that worked for me. The reps helping me with this on the phone tried Outlook, Yahoo... every other mail configuration and none of them worked properly on my two units. Ohhhh welllll. Maybe next time. lol
    09-08-2015 11:05 AM
    Wow. This is not great to hear. I wonder why it's inconsistent though. I have a Verizon GN5 and have no issues with Gmail notifications or push email. Hmm.
    09-08-2015 11:08 AM
    IMO this is a gmail issue not a phone issue. There are lots of complaints in android store reviews
    09-08-2015 11:50 AM
    Allen Gregg, Did your push notifications work OK when you first set up the phone and quit working later on?
    Or did they never work at all?
    09-10-2015 08:44 AM
    I just tested my Gmail account. That time it notified me instantly. I'll have to test again and put the device in sleep mode...
    09-10-2015 09:10 AM
    Just got the Note 5 in last night and so far so good.............fingers crossed.

Must have sent myself about 50 emails already.
    dsignori likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:50 AM
    This may help:

Now it may be that you suddenly get on your Samsung Galaxy S6 no such push notification or more only if you open the app Gmail manually. If so, then we want to explain in more detail what the cause may be. Check the following tip on your Samsung Galaxy S6:

Keep WiFi on during sleep - Enabled?
    Start by checking whether the following option is set to active on your Samsung Galaxy S6. To do this navigate in Android to: Menu --> Settings --> Wi-Fi. Tap at the top right on the "More" icon and select in the menu that opens the option "Keep WiFi on during sleep ". Make sure it is set to "Always".

Gmail account is synchronized?
    To check this, please open on your Samsung Galaxy S6:

Menu --> Settings --> Section "Personal" --> Accounts.

Tap here on "Google" and then click your e-mail account, which does not receive push notifications. You now see a list of options which are synchronized. Here at the option “Gmail” a hook must also be set in the checkbox.

If you have checked the two points above and it still does not work, then use step 3.

Remove Google account and re-add
    Open from the home screen of the Samsung Galaxy S6 the menu and then the Android settings. Scroll down and tap on "Accounts". You can now see all the accounts that are created on your Samsung Galaxy S6. One of them is the Google account. Tap on this and you navigate deeper in a submenu. Now tap once on your e-mail address, and then in the next submenu on the top "More" icon to the right.

A small pop-up opens, in which now „Remove account“ can be selected. Confirm the deletion of the account by clicking OK. Finish!

Then replace the Google account again on your Samsung Galaxy S6. To do this go to Settings --> Accounts and then "Add Account". Now select "Google Account”. It now opens the wizard to add the Google account. Enter your e-mail address from Gmail and then continue. Your Google account is then added automatically.

Then you should again receive push notifications through the Gmail app on your Samsung Galaxy S6, if you are connected to the Internet.

Posted via the Android Central App

I tried all of these steps with no success. I was getting very frustrated until I went to the actual Gmail app and did the following:

1. Open the Gmail app
    2. Go to settings (the 3 lines in the upper left hand corner, scroll down to settings)
    3. Select your email address (if you added more than one gmail account, you might have to do this for each account)
    4. Select manage labels
    5. Choose the label you want (ex. Primary, Social, or Promotions)
    6. Select Sync messages - Change this from Sync: None to Sync: Last 30 days or Sync: All

Once I changed this, my emails started coming through without having to manually refresh each time. Hope this helps.
    09-11-2015 08:47 PM
55 123