Issues With Gmail Push Notifications

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

First time poster but figured I'd take the leap and ask a question because this has really become an issue for me. I know this is a first world problem, but I'm not getting notifications of new emails until way later. My job depends on my ability to quickly respond to emails. I can't afford to find out I had a new email from 40 minutes ago. Any idea as to why this is happening or what I can do to fix it? I can't just keep manually refreshing every five minutes out of fear that I'm missing important messages. Thanks for any advice!

Sarah

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem with the Verizon Galaxy S6. After exchanging the phone 3 times I finally got one that will receive the push notifications. I spend many of hours and weeks on this nightmare with the S6 and there was no easy fix. :'(
Good luck and please post back and let me know if you have any luck fixing this problem.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This is the exact problem I had with two regular S6s on AT&T and an S6 Active. I never found a fix and moved on. I hadn't really heard of it on the Note line and I just ordered a Note 5 earlier today. If I have this problem again, I'll be moving on from these phones altogether. I hope you find a fix. Maybe try exchanging it again. It seems that this could be a widespread problem.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is the exact problem I had with two regular S6s on AT&T and an S6 Active. I never found a fix and moved on. I hadn't really heard of it on the Note line and I just ordered a Note 5 earlier today. If I have this problem again, I'll be moving on from these phones altogether. I hope you find a fix. Maybe try exchanging it again. It seems that this could be a widespread problem.

I'm running two Gmail accounts, one Comcast imap account and one Exchange account - all through the Gmail app without issue

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm running two Gmail accounts, one Comcast imap account and one Exchange account - all through the Gmail app without issue
When I had the S6 issue it was Gmail, Outlook, Facebook, theScore, and some others. If I let the phone sit for awhile, and it went into deep sleep, the only thing pushed was calls and texts. Nothing else would come in until I woke the phone or entered the app.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Both! That's what's so confusing. Sometimes I get a late alert on my phone (say 40 minutes late). Then other times I manually refresh my phone and up pop 7 emails. That's mostly what has me stumped :/

Is this a Gmail account or some other type account and have you tried clearing the app cache?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The S6 that I exchanged 3 times were Veizon models. I was getting ready to get the Note 5 but after seeing this problem rearing it's ugly head on the 5, I'm going to wait a while. Try an app called Mailbox app. My favorite mail app and it's been working with notifications on the S6 jus fine.

steve1207

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
This may help:

Now it may be that you suddenly get on your Samsung Galaxy S6 no such push notification or more only if you open the app Gmail manually. If so, then we want to explain in more detail what the cause may be. Check the following tip on your Samsung Galaxy S6:

Keep WiFi on during sleep - Enabled?
Start by checking whether the following option is set to active on your Samsung Galaxy S6. To do this navigate in Android to: Menu --> Settings --> Wi-Fi. Tap at the top right on the "More" icon and select in the menu that opens the option "Keep WiFi on during sleep ". Make sure it is set to "Always".

Gmail account is synchronized?
To check this, please open on your Samsung Galaxy S6:

Menu --> Settings --> Section "Personal" --> Accounts.

Tap here on "Google" and then click your e-mail account, which does not receive push notifications. You now see a list of options which are synchronized. Here at the option “Gmail” a hook must also be set in the checkbox.

If you have checked the two points above and it still does not work, then use step 3.

Remove Google account and re-add
Open from the home screen of the Samsung Galaxy S6 the menu and then the Android settings. Scroll down and tap on "Accounts". You can now see all the accounts that are created on your Samsung Galaxy S6. One of them is the Google account. Tap on this and you navigate deeper in a submenu. Now tap once on your e-mail address, and then in the next submenu on the top "More" icon to the right.

A small pop-up opens, in which now „Remove account“ can be selected. Confirm the deletion of the account by clicking OK. Finish!

Then replace the Google account again on your Samsung Galaxy S6. To do this go to Settings --> Accounts and then "Add Account". Now select "Google Account”. It now opens the wizard to add the Google account. Enter your e-mail address from Gmail and then continue. Your Google account is then added automatically.

Then you should again receive push notifications through the Gmail app on your Samsung Galaxy S6, if you are connected to the Internet.

Posted via the Android Central App

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When I had the S6 issue it was Gmail, Outlook, Facebook, theScore, and some others. If I let the phone sit for awhile, and it went into deep sleep, the only thing pushed was calls and texts. Nothing else would come in until I woke the phone or entered the app.

Hey, Wildo, when you say Outlook, do you mean Exchange Outlook (as opposed to Outlook.com)? I've been mulling over the Note 5, but if I'm missing work emails as opposed to Gmails, that would be a huge problem. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae