Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon and I noticed on Saturday that while being on Wi-Fi at my house 3/4th of the day caused my battery to drain especially for Cell Standby. I had to go officiate a football game that night and was gone for close to 6 hours and had no increase in my Cell Standby usage. Came back home from the game connected to my Wi-Fi and within 1 1/2 hours, I had gone up 4% in Cell Standby.

Today at work I only had 1 bar of 4G throughout my 8 hour shift and only had 1% of Cell Standby compared to 13% in an 8 hour span being at home on Saturday connected to my WiFi. I've screenshot my phone at every break and will post those here in a few hours (gotta go officiate a JV football game). Once I get home from the football game, I'll connect to my Wi-Fi to prove that being connected to Wi-Fi is the culprit of the Cell Standby bug. Throughout today at work I had my Wi-Fi on, history location off, Advance HD calling (VoLTE) turned off, screen at 50% brightness, sync turned off and among other things I can't think of right now I'm sure.

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Verizon here and noticed the same thing. I thought maybe it was from using chromecast, but I've never seen that cause drain in the past...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
now that you mention it, my cell standby battery drain is high (I'm on VZW as well). Will keep an eye on it and then also look at battery life with and without wi-fi on all day at the house.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Cell standby didn't even show up on my battery stats, and I don't use wifi

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Not on Verizon but on AT&T.
With wifi on, cell standby is showing up on the battery list at slightly higher than 2% for a 7-8 hour period - at night. During the day it is slightly higher right at 3% for the same time frame.

The drain bugs me as my other device (iPhone 6+) has about half the drain.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile too. I've had WiFi off all day so far and cell standby is bottom of list using battery. I'll see at the end of the day what that looks like. It's possible that standby will just be replaced by something else that takes the same or more battery, but we'll see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and been on WiFi almost 24 hours and am on WiFi 90% of the time. Standby is so low it isn't even showing up in my list.

Attachments

• 1441127919821.jpg
    1441127919821.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 1441127933697.jpg
    1441127933697.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 149

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a remedy for this? At work today... Not connected to any wifi and my cell standby is LOW. But home and connected to wifi, it's usually the top of the list...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have a remedy for this? At work today... Not connected to any wifi and my cell standby is LOW. But home and connected to wifi, it's usually the top of the list...

I don't have the issue at all and am on WiFi home and work.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the issue at all and am on WiFi home and work.

I believe you told me that you're on T-Mobile.... we're talking about Note 5 on Verizon! I have this problem..and only solution for me is to use llama app to turn off wifi automatically when not at home or work. Since when I'm at work or home I'm near a chrager.

BTW...I had this problem on S6 and G4. That's why I went to my iphone 6...but the curiosity got the best of me and tried the Note 5 hoping the best......but no, I suffer this problem.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe you told me that you're on T-Mobile.... we're talking about Note 5 on Verizon! I have this problem..and only solution for me is to use llama app to turn off wifi automatically when not at home or work. Since when I'm at work or home I'm near a chrager.

BTW...I had this problem on S6 and G4. That's why I went to my iphone 6...but the curiosity got the best of me and tried the Note 5 hoping the best......but no, I suffer this problem.

Well as the person above me said, they were on T-Mobile and having this issue, is why I had posted I wasn't having this issue on T-Mobile.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well as the person above me said, they were on T-Mobile and having this issue, is why I had posted I wasn't having this issue on T-Mobile.

I see...my apology. Thanks though for your inputs and eagerness to help.... I'm just frustrated with this situation as I really want to keep this phone. I have little more than a week to decide. Hopefully I can figure it out and have this thing settle down on me...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I see...my apology. Thanks though for your inputs and eagerness to help.... I'm just frustrated with this situation as I really want to keep this phone. I have little more than a week to decide. Hopefully I can figure it out and have this thing settle down on me...

Not a problem!

Have you talked to Verizon about this? I would also call Samsung and open a ticket. Tell Verizon and Samsung both about others here saying they have this issue. Everyone that has this issue though, needs to call both Verizon and Samsung to report it. I don't know how Verizon does it, but when I was with AT&T if I got them to open a ticket, that would trigger it getting looked into, same with Samsung.

Also with most carriers, after a certain number of reports on the same issue, it triggers it past customer service.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the Note 5 to replace my S6, ( the wife is getting it) and the S6 had the same issue. The temporary fix as I recall was to turn on Advanced Calling. Maybe this will work till a patch is pushed out.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
In settings you have advanced calling tuned on or off? Also do you have download boost turned on or off?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm on VZW and the Cell Standby % is higher than I would think, bit I get great battery life, so I don't care at all. IS the point here from the OP that you are getting worse battery life on Wifi? If not, this might be over-analysis, no?

This isn't a cell USAGE %, but a Cell STANDBY percent - it should be higher when LTE is not in use here. If not, what am I missing?

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
In settings you have advanced calling tuned on or off? Also do you have download boost turned on or off?

I'm not the op, but in my case I've have download booster and advanced calling/HD voice/video calling all turned off.

da3lynx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is isolated to Verizon, Cell standby is on top of my list too on T-Mobile. I don't have WiFi calling or VoLTE enabled either.

Attachments

• 256.jpg
    256.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 324

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm on VZW and the Cell Standby % is higher than I would think, bit I get great battery life, so I don't care at all. IS the point here from the OP that you are getting worse battery life on Wifi? If not, this might be over-analysis, no?

This isn't a cell USAGE %, but a Cell STANDBY percent - it should be higher when LTE is not in use here. If not, what am I missing?
Yes even though I'm getting decent battery life with a high percentage Cell Standby, my issue is that I'm getting worse Cell Standby when connected to WiFi when that shouldn't be the case. Last night I wiped the cache again, rebooted the phone and then turned it off and powered it back on to see if it'll fix something.

People have suggested that poor signal and having advance HD calling (also known as VoLTE) could cause this Cell Standby. I'll post a screenshot that I took throughout my work shift where I had 1 bar of LTE and after my 8 hour shift was over I only had 1% of cell standby. It seems like a lot of people are pushing this Cell Standby issue under a rug when this is a serious problem (Verizon only?) just look throughout the battery thread and you'll see numerous screenshots of Cell Standby up at the top.

Just imagine if you're already having good battery with a high percentage of Standby if Cell Standby was nonexistent or at least under 3% throughout the day

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I experienced Saturday was on Wi-Fi till 4:45 and didn't come back home till 10:55ish. Took a screenshot at 8:54 during halftime. Left Wi-Fi on and within an hour my cell standby went up 4%

Attachments

• 1441155481822.jpg
    1441155481822.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1441155624499.jpg
    1441155624499.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 1441155694404.jpg
    1441155694404.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 1441155713183.jpg
    1441155713183.jpg