Using Wi-Fi causes Cell Standby bug (Verizon)

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you do a screenshot of the battery and the usage under it and also make sure your notification bar is in the screenshot.
I'm actually good today because I'm out at work, but amazingly, it's still #1...! I might have been on wifi for an hour or so this morning?

Here's today:
4bf2d9e38b6a081e3f5b50c13641ea21.jpg
b5b957bc821ffc390f80229b166a3f0d.jpg

Here's the other day when I was at home:
0f09f723bc21a297c17e7580f54eccd6.jpg
8f0702fc279eb3ade5fefdfb5dc2f9fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually good today because I'm out at work, but amazingly, it's still #1...! I might have been on wifi for an hour or so this morning?

Here's today:
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/4bf2d9e38b6a081e3f5b50c13641ea21.jpg//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/b5b957bc821ffc390f80229b166a3f0d.jpg

Here's the other day when I was at home:
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/0f09f723bc21a297c17e7580f54eccd6.jpg//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/10/8f0702fc279eb3ade5fefdfb5dc2f9fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OK, hold on.. I needed that picture with WiFi on also.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I just don't know what is causing that and there are several on Verizon that aren't having that issue. Being on WiFi calling will cause that, it doesn't drain, but makes it a high number, but Verizon doesn't have WiFi calling.

You could try operating in safe mode for a while and see if it pops up high. If it doesn't, then an app is causing it most likely, if it does, then it is something else.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Alright, I just don't know what is causing that and there are several on Verizon that aren't having that issue. Being on WiFi calling will cause that, it doesn't drain, but makes it a high number, but Verizon doesn't have WiFi calling.

You could try operating in safe mode for a while and see if it pops up high. If it doesn't, then an app is causing it most likely, if it does, then it is something else.

Most people I have read around here are having that issue with wifi on Verizon. Its not an app or any setting causing it as I have factory reset 2 phones today and put on wifi...they are both draining 5-7% every hour on standby with absolutely nothing installed or logged in. Its definitely NOT an app.

I am not able to get a screenshot up...but I am sure it is the fact that 4G is on along with Wifi that is causing this.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Most people I have read around here are having that issue with wifi on Verizon. Its not an app or any setting causing it as I have factory reset 2 phones today and put on wifi...they are both draining 5-7% every hour on standby with absolutely nothing installed or logged in. Its definitely NOT an app.

I am not able to get a screenshot up...but I am sure it is the fact that 4G is on along with Wifi that is causing this.

That is not necessarily true, because a lot on Verizon are not having it.

Yes, the 4G is on with it, and some apps can cause that, the main one, caller ID apps.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
That is not necessarily true, because a lot on Verizon are not having it.

Yes, the 4G is on with it, and some apps can cause that, the main one, caller ID apps.

Ok if an app is causing it...then why is it on after factory reset with no apps installed. If its one of verizon apps....I even disabled those and its still there.

I guess there is no resolution to this (atleast for me) until Verizon fixes it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok if an app is causing it...then why is it on after factory reset with no apps installed. If its one of verizon apps....I even disabled those and its still there.

I guess there is no resolution to this (atleast for me) until Verizon fixes it.

I didn't say an app IS causing it, I said, just like earlier, an app can be causing it, which is the reason for the testing.

All Verizon people aren't having it, so not sure how much is a "Verizon" issue.

There are a couple from AT&T having it also.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
This may have been covered, but I'm personally on Tmobile. When I first got my N5, Cell standby was always on top of my battery drain, no matter how long I had the screen on. I'm someone who had always had the wifi setting set to "always stay on" while my screen is off. I changed that setting to only connect to wifi when my screen is on, and poof, it fixed the problem immediately. Cell standby is always near the bottom. Now I'm getting great battery life, and all is well. Again I'm sorry if this does not pertain to this thread, or if it was covered already. I just wanted to share my success.

Posted via the Android Central App

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I didn't say an app IS causing it, I said, just like earlier, an app can be causing it, which is the reason for the testing.

All Verizon people aren't having it, so not sure how much is a "Verizon" issue.

There are a couple from AT&T having it also.

Well in that case it might be "Samsung issue" and the way it is working with Verizon radios....but its an issue with Verizon or Samsung and needs to be fixed.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
This may have been covered, but I'm personally on Tmobile. When I first got my N5, Cell standby was always on top of my battery drain, no matter how long I had the screen on. I'm someone who had always had the wifi setting set to "always stay on" while my screen is off. I changed that setting to only connect to wifi when my screen is on, and poof, it fixed the problem immediately. Cell standby is always near the bottom. Now I'm getting great battery life, and all is well. Again I'm sorry if this does not pertain to this thread, or if it was covered already. I just wanted to share my success.

Dont have option to do it when screen on. Only options are:
1) Always
2) When connected
3) Never

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry again... Keep wifi on during sleep (Never) is what I have set. Lol

But thats not a solution as it is going to use data while it is not sleeping...sometimes can be a lot. And also...it will use battery to connect to wifi every time you wake the phone up. And finally battery drain will happen due to cell standby will happen while the phone is awake. I am sure it is better this way than having it always on...but this is not a solution to the problem.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
But thats not a solution as it is going to use data while it is not sleeping...sometimes can be a lot. And also...it will use battery to connect to wifi every time you wake the phone up. And finally battery drain will happen due to cell standby will happen while the phone is awake. I am sure it is better this way than having it always on...but this is not a solution to the problem.

I understand, though I've noticed a huge improvement in battery, and no added data used. I have regular app syncs too. Just my experience.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
You're right though, I believe with wifi on LTE is still running too. (Seems like a bug to me) but if you have wifi Off while screen is off then it's just using LTE while screen is off (of course using data for syncing) That's how I understand it, and since it's Verizon and Tmobile, it might be a Samsung N5 issue.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
You're right though, I believe with wifi on LTE is still running too. (Seems like a bug to me) but if you have wifi Off while screen is off then it's just using LTE while screen is off (of course using data for syncing) That's how I understand it, and since it's Verizon and Tmobile, it might be a Samsung N5 issue.

The issue is in fact related to WiFi and LTE being on together. When I turn my WiFi off my battery improves by almost 25%!!! That's ridiculous.

Another issue. When I select to have WiFi sleep when the screen so off IT DOESN'T WORK. I use GSM battery and shows WiFi and cell at the time connected despite having checked that option. Very aggravating