I am getting a smart phone for my 65 year old mother. It will be her first smart phone and I would like to know if anyone would recommend it for a first time smart phone for a 65 year old? If not, do you recommend any others?
    09-01-2015 10:05 PM
    As someone who was in a similar situation as you about a year ago I would get them an iPhone. They will appreciate the camera and ease of use. Plus one of their friends probably has an apple device and can show them around the ecosystem so you don't have to be their 24 hour tech support.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Not all 65 year olds are created equally! I'd say it really depends on her. Is she tech savy? Will she utilize all, or even some of this phone's capabilities? If she's not a heavy user (texts, internet, games, music, camera) I'd go for something cheaper. But if she's a modern woman, go for it ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-01-2015 10:51 PM
    I am getting a smart phone for my 65 year old mother. It will be her first smart phone and I would like to know if anyone would recommend it for a first time smart phone for a 65 year old? If not, do you recommend any others?
    Note 5 of course is the top of the line Android device but it's hard to say. My parents are 68 and my mom finally got her first smart phone. She had a flip phone for years but tmobile is upgrading the tower around here and it was going to quit working so she got a free phone the LG Leon. She can make calls and barely knows how to use gmail on it but other than that she's clueless on it and doesn't even text.

So if you think she can grasp android then I say go for it, but honestly if she's not going to web surf, take that many pics or use the Note features why spend $700?
    The top of the line phones like Iphone, Galaxy s6, Notes, etc are for the serious users. If I wasn't a phone person I wouldn't be buying $700 phones every year.
    09-01-2015 10:51 PM
    Age aint nuthin but a number. My mother in law is 64 and she just got a Note 4. She is not using it anywhere near its capabilities but just wanted it because it's big. My father is 80 and I was going to give him my note 3 but it was still locked into my att contract and I couldn't get it unlocked for him to take to Verizon. Therefore, I went out and both him a Lg G3 outright at Best buy for $400 no contract. If she is savvy andnshe will use all features then Note 5 is great, if not NOTE 4 is a cheaper option that should be more than sufficient.

09-01-2015 11:06 PM
    As someone who was in a similar situation as you about a year ago I would get them an iPhone. They will appreciate the camera and ease of use. Plus one of their friends probably has an apple device and can show them around the ecosystem so you don't have to be their 24 hour tech support.

jimd1050, Carlo Villa and drone3 like this.
    09-01-2015 11:25 PM
    Yeah iPhone might be better or maybe a properly setup Android device could work.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
    09-01-2015 11:57 PM
    no doubt an iphone. got one for my 74 year old mom as her first smartphone and she was able to figure it out fairly easily
    09-02-2015 05:05 AM
    my father finally got her first smart phone
    09-02-2015 05:13 AM
    IPhone for sure but make sure is the big iPhone

09-02-2015 05:17 AM
    I agree, an iPhone is most likely your best bet. I believe something like a Note 5 would be wasted on your typical elderly person. Not judging, just speaking in general terms and based on my parents and in—laws.

09-02-2015 06:46 AM
    I agree with the above. iPhone would be the way to go for most "non-techie" 65 year olds. Wait a few weeks for the new iPhones to be released (6s and 6s Plus), then take Mom down to the carrier store and let her test drive them for a bit.

Another factor to consider if she's really keen on a Note 5 would be to ask her how she feels about paying $700 for a phone? If she really likes the Note better than an iPhone then per the above post, perhaps consider a Note 4 instead. It's less expensive than the Note 5 and IMO the Note 5 is a modest upgrade at best from a Note 4 at a large price premium. Who knows though, maybe once the new iPhones are released, the price of the Note 5 will drop if market sales shift towards the iPhones.

Good luck!
    09-02-2015 10:13 AM
    Depends on your mom. My mom is in her 70's and I got her an Android instead of an iphone, because she has an Android tablet and is familiar with Android.

If she is tech savvy, then an Android is fine. The Note is great because of the large screen, but it is a very powerful phone. I know my mom could use it and be fine and like it, she is scared of it though. That is why I started her on a much more simple Samsung phone.
    09-02-2015 10:33 AM
    I am really not a fan of iphones for a number of reasons. I used to own one, still own an ipad, but android right now is a better device on many fronts.

User friendliness for smartphone beginners is NOT one of them though. The iPhone is a much more user friendly device for a smartphone novice. If she is moving from a flip phone, I'd look at an iphone or one of the android flip phones.
    09-02-2015 01:43 PM
    The Note 5 is a major phone for a first time user to jump into unless they are tech savvy enough to find things on their own or have someone with them that can help them at first.

Now, don't know about all Best Buy stores.. But last week the Samsung counter had flyers for Android classes they were having for free and had beginner classes. They had several cases for each level listed, day and night.
    09-02-2015 01:47 PM
    I'd say, if she really likes it and has support to help her with it, why not.

iPhone are nice, but not necessarily easy. I had a coworker and she had a cute pic of her grandson. I suggested she send it to her work email and print it at work as we have really nice printers. She came back and asked me how to do it. I figured it out then taught her. She had 2 share options, email and Facebook.

My 74 year old dad has an S2, likes it, but doesn't love it. To advanced for him he thinks. Bought it about 3 years ago. So still works for his minimal uses. My brother and I help as needed.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    09-02-2015 09:39 PM
    I have always given praise where it is deserved...the iPhone is the best phone for seniors and children.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:59 PM
    I'd say, if she really likes it and has support to help her with it, why not.

iPhone are nice, but not necessarily easy. I had a coworker and she had a cute pic of her grandson. I suggested she send it to her work email and print it at work as we have really nice printers. She came back and asked me how to do it. I figured it out then taught her. She had 2 share options, email and Facebook.

My 74 year old dad has an S2, likes it, but doesn't love it. To advanced for him he thinks. Bought it about 3 years ago. So still works for his minimal uses. My brother and I help as needed.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    Funny I find Ipads and Iphones easy to use BUT I find Mac's impossible to use. All my life I was raised with windows based PCs so at college a couple years ago one of the classes I took the room all had Macs. Well I couldn't keep up with the teacher because it literally too me almost 5 minutes to figure out stuff like how to minimize a window. I dropped that class after the first night. It was a class on mobile apps and of course you either had to buy an Iphone, Ipad and Mac, or rent an Ipad and Mac from the school in order to pass the class. Hardly any of it covered android. Iphones are okay but overall I don't like Apple products much. WAY WAY overpriced for what you get.
    09-02-2015 10:23 PM