Your Method for Overnight Charging

How do you overnight charge your Note 5?

• Total voters

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So how do you charge your Note 5 overnight, and what's your rationale?

As I see it, we have at least three main options:

1. Standard wired charger
2. Quick charge using adaptive charger
3. Wireless charger (standard now, since the quick wireless charger has not been released yet)

I am doing #3... My rationale is to minimize wear and tear on the microUSB connector port and a slow charge might be better for the battery in the long term than a fast charge...

Not saying that my rationale is based on fact... Nevertheless, it is my rationale...

I wish my wireless charger was working more reliably though...it's been flakey ever since I got it as part of the Best Buy promotion...

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
#3 white samsung charger. Got at sprint to replace faulty black one. My replacement and my wife's white one (original) have never failed. Love wireless charging and won't ever buy a phone without it now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually charge it before going to sleep while I am doing house work using the quick charge, and don't charge while sleeping. The quick charge is too quick and love it. I also have Agent app to turn off sync, bluetooth etc., preserving battery while I am sleeping.

Get up in the morning, put the phone to charge to full if the battery is drained a little, but hardly I see that is the case.

Posted via the Android Central App

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that if I charge through standard USB it seems like my battery depletes a bit slower. Wireless charging does the same trick. Though I often dont need to charge overnight, I have wireless charger at work so I can pop it on that one.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
1. Standard wired charger.

I never had problems with the USB port in any phone. My S5 even had the flap and it stayed on from S5 launch day until the Note 5 launch day. I charge it every night, all night.

Posted via the *Note 5*

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually charge it before going to sleep while I am doing house work using the quick charge, and don't charge while sleeping. The quick charge is too quick and love it. I also have Agent app to turn off sync, bluetooth etc., preserving battery while I am sleeping.

Get up in the morning, put the phone to charge to full if the battery is drained a little, but hardly I see that is the case.

Interesting... So let me see if I have this right... before you go to bed (maybe 2 hours prior), you use the fast charger to charge it... Take it off the charger and let it sit idle overnight... And then do a top off charge in the morning (if it lost more than a percentage or two) so that you leave the house with 100%... Do I have that right?

I noticed that if I charge through standard USB it seems like my battery depletes a bit slower. Wireless charging does the same trick. Though I often dont need to charge overnight, I have wireless charger at work so I can pop it on that one.

So you also leave your phone idle and off the charger overnight, and basically do top-off charges throughout the day?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Fast charging, Samsung charger.

I'm not interested in wireless charging at this point. I use my phone a lot when it is charging. Now if they come up with wireless charging that is like wifi, and I can use my phone, I would be interested then.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting... I was quite excited when I got my Note 5 with the adaptive charger and thought that it would be a daily accessory for me...

But what I am finding is that I am not using it like a common "screwdriver"... I am more using it like a specialty tool like a "torque wrench"... I feel like I am only going to take it out and use it under certain circumstances when I need a quick charge... Otherwise, a standard charge will do (and might be preferred)... I stress the word "might", since no one seems to know for certain that it even matters... :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting... I was quite excited when I got my Note 5 with the adaptive charger and thought that it would be a daily accessory for me...

But what I am finding is that I am not using it like a common "screwdriver"... I am more using it like a specialty tool like a "torque wrench"... I feel like I am only going to take it out and use it under certain circumstances when I need a quick charge... Otherwise, a standard charge will do (and might be preferred)... I stress the word "might", since no one seems to know for certain that it even matters... :)

People worry about battery degradation. If there is any with using this fast charging, it won't be noticeable. Many times I just charge for a bit before bed and take it off the charger before sleeping and then I'm good in the morning.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm another one who charges before I leave for work. I get to 100 and go all day. On heavy days, I'll top off before bed, but I don't ever charge over night. Just a habit.

With included fast charger.

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I use the included wired charger at bed side each night and have a wireless charging pad at my desk that I leave my phone on most of the day.

Does anyone know what makes the included charger a "fast" charger? Is it the charging block, the cord or the combination of both?

Posted for my Galaxy Note 5 with a properly inserted S Pen!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use the included wired charger at bed side each night and have a wireless charging pad at my desk that I leave my phone on most of the day.

Does anyone know what makes the included charger a "fast" charger? Is it the charging block, the cord or the combination of both?

Posted for my Galaxy Note 5 with a properly inserted S Pen!

Charging block.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I leave the house with 100% charge every morning.

Also, , it is always better for the battery if you charge when it is at least 40% . It will give you a healthy battery life in my experience.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I also bought some chargers from Amazon that are Qualcomm 2.0 approved to get quick charging around the house and my office.

There is a big difference in how quickly you can top up with the new quick chargers. You ain't gonna get that in standard chargers.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... Bad assumption on my part... I thought everyone charged their phones overnight... Seemed like a natural thing to do... The phone isn't doing anything...your asleep and obviously don't need the phone (except in case it rings in an emergency)... why not drop it on the charger and wake up to a full charge? (that was a rhetorical question, I am not challenging those who don't do it...)

Obviously I was incorrect in my assumption...

Every time I get a new phone, I pay attention to stupid stuff like how and when I charge my phone (and what do others do)... I am sure that in 2 months time I'll just be doing what comes natural to me...which, by the way is:

• Overnight charge - So that I wake up and leave the house with 100% charge
  • Charge whenever I am in my car (regardless of battery level)
  • Charge whenever I am at my desk (regardless of the battery level)

This behavior allows me to always have the fullest charge capacity at all times (without even thinking about it, because it has become second nature for me to do these things). The potential negative is that the battery will often swing between 95% and 100% over and over again as I continuously perform top-off charges...

Anyone think that is a bad thing? I was less worried about this issue when I had a replaceable battery...if I mistreated my battery, I could just toss it and replace it... Not so easily with a sealed battery...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... Bad assumption on my part... I thought everyone charged their phones overnight... Seemed like a natural thing to do... The phone isn't doing anything...your asleep and obviously don't need the phone (except in case it rings in an emergency)... why not drop it on the charger and wake up to a full charge? (that was a rhetorical question, I am not challenging those who don't do it...)

Obviously I was incorrect in my assumption...

Every time I get a new phone, I pay attention to stupid stuff like how and when I charge my phone (and what do others do)... I am sure that in 2 months time I'll just be doing what comes natural to me...which, by the way is:

• Overnight charge - So that I wake up and leave the house with 100% charge
  • Charge whenever I am in my car (regardless of battery level)
  • Charge whenever I am at my desk (regardless of the battery level)

This behavior allows me to always have the fullest charge capacity at all times (without even thinking about it, because it has become second nature for me to do these things). The potential negative is that the battery will often swing between 95% and 100% over and over again as I continuously perform top-off charges...

Anyone think that is a bad thing? I was less worried about this issue when I had a replaceable battery...if I mistreated my battery, I could just toss it and replace it... Not so easily with a sealed battery...

A lot depends on how much battery you lose at night. You can top it off quickly generally before your day starts. My N4 would only lose 1% at the most overnight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01