Samsung note 5 problem, screen freezes

Supacola

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Im having the same issue with my 64gb black note 5.

About once a day when I press the home button to wake it, it'll freeze up for a solid 5 seconds.

I was hoping the latest update would fix it but it just happened again. Going to try a factory reset now.

kaienish

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Im having the same issue with my 64gb black note 5.

About once a day when I press the home button to wake it, it'll freeze up for a solid 5 seconds.

I was hoping the latest update would fix it but it just happened again. Going to try a factory reset now.
Let me know if it makes it any better, having exactly same situation... Same model too... 64gb black

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Supacola

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if it makes it any better, having exactly same situation... Same model too... 64gb black

I updated and did a full factory reset about a day and a half ago. Since then I've only been running with the standard bloatware that it comes with, no additional apps installed. I thought it had fixed the issue but it did freeze up a couple times today after unlocking. Not for as long though - about 2 seconds, down from 5.

Ill run in safe mode now as the others suggested.

kaienish

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually turned off the wallpaper motion effect thingy.... It seems to be better now, device haven't freeze like it used to. I remembered when I was using iPhone 6, the wallpaper parallax effect does occasionally cause some lag when unlocking the phone. Seems that the phone is thinking for second or two abit more.....

Hopefully this is it... :)

mi7chy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Since the side bezels are so thin you could be inadvertently touching the screen with another overlapping finger causing it to appear like the screen is not responding or slow to respond. Try adjusting your grip or a case would help to add some width.

kaienish

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Since the side bezels are so thin you could be inadvertently touching the screen with another overlapping finger causing it to appear like the screen is not responding or slow to respond. Try adjusting your grip or a case would help to add some width.
Good point....

Aaron2015

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, it will happens 2-3 times a day when I tried unlock the phone, I even replaced the phone but it still have the same problem, the apps I installed is all the basic apps that everybody use on a daily basis like face book, whatsup etc. nothing special, and I seldom install apps, it's like only around 10 apps I've downloaded on the phone. Since I'm not the only one , I think it's not about the apps, it's phone itself got issues, it's just I'm not sure what could be the problem as we are all not technicians. A bit disappointed about note 5, I've been use note phones for quite long time and never encounter this kind of problem before. Just wish Samsung can notice about this and provide updates for us to solve the problems. BUT, strange thing is two of my friends also use note 5 but it seems they don't have this problem at all, weird, so I give up to communicate with Samsung anymore with regards to this issue. first time I bought the black version, then replace with gold version (I gave credit to Samsung about their service as they indeed replaced the phone for me), but problem the same, anyway, whatever it is, phone problem or app problem, lucky it won't cause a very big problem so I can still somehow use it as per normal.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
When you first got the device, prior to installing apps, etc. merely configuring it, did this issue present itself? I'm wondering if it is an app or your data causing this; hence my question...

I have the same problem, it will happens 2-3 times a day when I tried unlock the phone, I even replaced the phone but it still have the same problem, the apps I installed is all the basic apps that everybody use on a daily basis like face book, whatsup etc. nothing special, and I seldom install apps, it's like only around 10 apps I've downloaded on the phone. Since I'm not the only one , I think it's not about the apps, it's phone itself got issues, it's just I'm not sure what could be the problem as we are all not technicians. A bit disappointed about note 5, I've been use note phones for quite long time and never encounter this kind of problem before. Just wish Samsung can notice about this and provide updates for us to solve the problems. BUT, strange thing is two of my friends also use note 5 but it seems they don't have this problem at all, weird, so I give up to communicate with Samsung anymore with regards to this issue. first time I bought the black version, then replace with gold version (I gave credit to Samsung about their service as they indeed replaced the phone for me), but problem the same, anyway, whatever it is, phone problem or app problem, lucky it won't cause a very big problem so I can still somehow use it as per normal.

Aaron2015

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I won`t know about this as when I got the phone, normally I will install all the necessary apps so I can use the phone as per normal, without the apps, the phone is useless, I believe that`s what normal people will do. I request to exchange the phone is solely because i thought the problem comes with the phone itself, however, I just did a further research on line then I realise the problem could because of the samsung latest 39mb updates, that also explains why my friends never encounter this problem is because they never updates the phone. nevertheless, I`ve already report this issue back to Samsung so hopefully we can get an official feedback from them on this matter.

Posted via the Android Central App

adnroid1

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

i think this is the problem most people encounter here. it's particularly annoying when you're taking a picture. coz you have to hold your phone in a specific way just so the side of your palm does not touch the screen

i bought a case for my phone. and i noticed i didn't encounter the freezing problem anymore because the added thickness prevents my skin from touching the screen. try it :)

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-09-30-12-11-55.jpg

See this is straight up becoming a nightmare. Great phone is now becoming the worst thing thats ever happened. How could it freeze every couple hours like this. To get rid of this i have to turn of the phone and its frozen on anything also

Aaron2015

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
that`s actually not the point, if we have to disable the facebook, or any other normal daily used apps, i`d rather "disable" the note 5 forever, this is not how note 5 perform. previously when I try to wake the phone, it will lag then sometimes auto restart, but today, the worest case happened, when I was reading a book on the phone, nothing else, the phone suddently auto restart by itself....I`m thinking about get rid of note 5 already. best becomes the worst!

Posted via the Android Central App

Ironzey

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I may be having the same issue. Does the Spen work on the screen? It does for me. A few times a day the screen will go completely unresponsive to touch but the Spen still works.

Besides a reset, does anyone have a fix for this?

EDIT
Found this threa at XDA.

Followed These directions.

Hopefully this works.

Last edited:

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that did not work.

Having the same problem. Cache wipe did nothing. Did a factory reset and phone was fine for a couple days then started freezing again. I switched from Nova to google now launcher and waiting to see if problem reappears. Just a hunch.