Note 5 not always fast charging

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

Posted via the Android Central App

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It is a big deal. Samsung made a big fuzz about the fast charge. That is also one of the best feature I like about the Note 5 is fast charge. I know that the fast charge is only working with the charger that came with the Note 5. Please double check that, It should have dual voltage outputs where the older charge has only 5V output.

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have experience that only at work. I think it's the wall outlet. I took the same charger home and fast charge always shows up on my phone. Maybe try a different wall outlet and house.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

Had that happen a few times as well.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If I can remember correctly, the lady at ATT told me something about not being on fast charge if your battery percent is above a certain amount... like if you are at 70% and you plug in it will not fast charge but if you are at 20% then it would. *shoulder shrug*

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If I can remember correctly, the lady at ATT told me something about not being on fast charge if your battery percent is above a certain amount... like if you are at 70% and you plug in it will not fast charge but if you are at 20% then it would. *shoulder shrug*

That's what I was told, and that's the way mine works. 80% regular charge, 20% fast charge. They say it's hard on the battery if the battery is not low enough, which could explain why on my note 4 when the battery meter says 12% and it dies.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I was having a lot of Fast Charging confusion too. The only time I've consistently gotten it to work is with my 3rd party charger + 6ft cable. The included charger is hit or miss. What I'd really like is to use the included charger + 6 ft cable instead of the paltry 3ft crap they include.

I just ordered another Aukey QC because it seems to be the only one where it works all the time. It's really bizarre.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the cable that came with mine and I don't think fast charging has ever worked. It never says fast when I plug it in. I even waited until it got below 5% but it never indicated fast charge. I may have a defective plug.

andross77

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
This is an interesting thread. When I had the Galaxy S6 for 4 months it would only register Fast Charging half the time. The other half I would have to unplug it and replug it and then it would register. And it would be in 2 different outlets and it did not matter the percentage at all.

Now with the Note 5 (all 3 I've had) it has registered Fast Charging EVERY single time. I keep checking it because I was so used to my S6 not registering and I want it to be fast charging. Only thing I could figure is that 5.1 on Verizon fixed that since the S6 was on 5.0.1 (or maybe it was just 5.0)

But the percentage definitely doesn't matter and since mine has registered every single time the first time I have to think a note 5 that doesn't is faulty. Not a major thing, but still a defect. And reading the post above, I would exchange the fast charger plug first. That is much more likely to be the defective piece and also a lot cheaper and wherever you bought it would be much more agreeable to that exchange.

Last edited:

Moeedk

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Moeedk

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I also have the same problem with my note 5 duos sometime its fast charging some times its not!kindly tell me if anyone has a solution to this

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing - sometimes my N 5 fast charges, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't when it is at 40% and sometimes it doesn't when it is at 80%.

Sometimes it does fast charge when it is at 40% and sometimes it does fast charge when it is at 80%. Go figure......

It always seems to reset to fast charging after unplugging and plugging back in, once or twice.

I can't wait until the (faster) charging wireless pads hit the shelves!!

I love this phone!!!!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Everyone having this issue, needs to call Samsung and report it. There is a good chance this is a software issue. I know of someone that has this same issue with their Note 5 and can plug the cord into their Note 4 and they don't have the issue with fast charging showing up.

Thomas Tumillo

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. i contacted samsung support and sent them my charger back thinking it was a default charger issue but now the phone wont consistently charge from my portable battery pack. it is really quite frustrating, i love this phone but this is a big issue for me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. i contacted samsung support and sent them my charger back thinking it was a default charger issue but now the phone wont consistently charge from my portable battery pack. it is really quite frustrating, i love this phone but this is a big issue for me.

I've started having the issue a couple of times, thought maybe the charger, but if I plug my N4 into the same charger it always shows fast charging. With my car charger I don't seem to be having the issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have experience that only at work. I think it's the wall outlet. I took the same charger home and fast charge always shows up on my phone. Maybe try a different wall outlet and house.

Had that happen a few times as well.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

I was having a lot of Fast Charging confusion too. The only time I've consistently gotten it to work is with my 3rd party charger + 6ft cable. The included charger is hit or miss. What I'd really like is to use the included charger + 6 ft cable instead of the paltry 3ft crap they include.

I just ordered another Aukey QC because it seems to be the only one where it works all the time. It's really bizarre.

I'm using the cable that came with mine and I don't think fast charging has ever worked. It never says fast when I plug it in. I even waited until it got below 5% but it never indicated fast charge. I may have a defective plug.

I also have the same problem with my note 5 duos sometime its fast charging some times its not!kindly tell me if anyone has a solution to this

I am experiencing the same thing - sometimes my N 5 fast charges, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't when it is at 40% and sometimes it doesn't when it is at 80%.

Sometimes it does fast charge when it is at 40% and sometimes it does fast charge when it is at 80%. Go figure......

It always seems to reset to fast charging after unplugging and plugging back in, once or twice.

I can't wait until the (faster) charging wireless pads hit the shelves!!

I love this phone!!!!!

Cam everyone post their carrier and if their phone is the same carrier, please?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I finally got mine to fast charge the other day. I thought it shows an indication on the home screen as soon as it starts charging. I've just been seeing an animation. I didn't know I had to pull down the notification shade to see how it's charging.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I can verify it does not actually fast charge and just not show fast charging, when this is happening. I just tested it.

Mine is T-Mobile service and T-Mobile phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463