04-23-2017 07:46 PM
365 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I have a one month old Note 5 on Verizon. On an everyday basis, I use 5 different chargers in 5 different locations.
    old S3 charger in the bedroom at night
    Note 5 charger in kitchen
    verizon charger at work,plugged into extension cord
    Samsung car charger in car
    portable battery pack from Samsung

all of these would fast charge, all of the time, at any battery level, until yesterday. Now the only one that fast charges on any kind of basis is the stock Note 5 charger, and this one needs to be unplugged several times before it fast charges. Simple logic tells me that it is not any of the chargers that are causing this problem.
    Honestly your s3 charger won't fast charge if it said it was charging note 5 fast it's wrong. The plug doesn't put out that power even if your phone can use that much power. Fast charging only works with plugs that came with phones that have fast charging or 3rd party ones made to fast charge.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2015 06:57 PM
    Ive been enlightened. A new cable fixes a software problem.(drenched with sarcasm)
    And no my oem cord does not fast charge my x pure.
    10-24-2015 06:58 PM
    Ive been enlightened. A new cable fixes a software problem.
    And no my oem cord does not fast charge my x pure.
    Then you should send your charger in and trade it. Many of us with this issue found our charger would charge our other fast charge phones and not the Note 5. Also our nit fast charging didn't happen all the time, unplugging it and plugging it back up when it happened would fix it many times and it would fast charge just fine many times.
    10-24-2015 07:01 PM
    kelly, your method of unplugging and replugging neither appeal to, nor work for me, neither did switching the charge block. both worked on my wife's s6, neither wrok for my note5. meanwhile the monoprice cable works 100% of the time (for both phones, both blocks). it also fixed my buddy's note5

do i understand why? no. I SUSPECT the oem cable and oem note 5 port are both crap in ways that compound, and I SUSPECT switching the cable helps, but these are just suspicions, same as yours.

--> I know that my problem went away with switching the cables and others SHOULD try this, despite the fact that you can't logically square it.

PS any solution involving samsung is a big fat waste of everyone's time - samsung takes literally forever to get work orders done. their aftermarket support is absolutely amateur
    digdug11 likes this.
    10-25-2015 05:45 PM
    I've never even opened the charger that comes with the Note 5. I use the Note 4 charger that came with my previous phone and it works perfectly. I think perhaps once it didn't and when i unplugged it and then put it in again it was fine. I plan to continue to use the 4 charger as long as it works.
    10-25-2015 07:43 PM
    i have the same problem.

bought my set and the charger+cable to the service shop today. was told my the guy that there was a batch of usb cable that is not working with the fast charge charger. so they gave me a new usb cable.
    10-26-2015 01:39 AM
    kelly, your method of unplugging and replugging neither appeal to, nor work for me, neither did switching the charge block. both worked on my wife's s6, neither wrok for my note5. meanwhile the monoprice cable works 100% of the time (for both phones, both blocks). it also fixed my buddy's note5

do i understand why? no. I SUSPECT the oem cable and oem note 5 port are both crap in ways that compound, and I SUSPECT switching the cable helps, but these are just suspicions, same as yours.

--> I know that my problem went away with switching the cables and others SHOULD try this, despite the fact that you can't logically square it.

PS any solution involving samsung is a big fat waste of everyone's time - samsung takes literally forever to get work orders done. their aftermarket support is absolutely amateur
    That isn't my method of fixing it. My method of fixing it is exchanging the phone.

Actually Samsung takes 10 days or less when you send your device in, that includes shipping.

I've sent items on more than once. I sent my phone on a Friday, two day shipping both ways and I got it back the next Friday.

If you can't depend on the manufacturer of a phone, why do you buy their phone?
    10-26-2015 02:57 AM
    Ten days is a loooong time to not have your phone.
    10-26-2015 12:11 PM
    Ten days is a loooong time to not have your phone.
    Well people can actually get a cheap phone to use whole their phone is gone if they don't have another. $700 plus is too much money to pay for a broken phone.
    10-26-2015 12:28 PM
    grace: did the new cable work?
    digdug: +1
    kelly: this is my first time with samsung, and i did quite a bit of research on the topic. Sadly, nowhere did it say that servicing a phone would take me the better part of two business weeks, or i might have re-considered leaving apple.

to be fair, i do love the phone, but there are annoyances that come with the samsung experience that you won't see until you -- well -- experience them yourself. Spilled milk aside, surrendering your phone for the better part of two weeks (or even one week) is really not actionable advice for most people, so while yours is certainly one solution, it's not the only one. An example? buying a cheap, reliable, $3 cable.
    10-26-2015 03:21 PM
    grace: did the new cable work?
    digdug: +1
    kelly: this is my first time with samsung, and i did quite a bit of research on the topic. Sadly, nowhere did it say that servicing a phone would take me the better part of two business weeks, or i might have re-considered leaving apple.

to be fair, i do love the phone, but there are annoyances that come with the samsung experience that you won't see until you -- well -- experience them yourself. Spilled milk aside, surrendering your phone for the better part of two weeks (or even one week) is really not actionable advice for most people, so while yours is certainly one solution, it's not the only one. An example? buying a cheap, reliable, $3 cable.
    You know there isn't a Samsung Store. You know it has to be shipped. You know it has to be shipped back. You know they work Monday through Friday. You should know that the second your phone reaches the dock it won't be broken open.

You can pay for overnight shipping if you don't want the two day shipping that is free.

So knowing all this, how long would you think repair would take?
    10-26-2015 03:43 PM
    You know there isn't a Samsung Store. You know it has to be shipped. You know it has to be shipped back. You know they work Monday through Friday. You should know that the second your phone reaches the dock it won't be broken open.

You can pay for overnight shipping if you don't want the two day shipping that is free.

So knowing all this, how long would you think repair would take?
    One would think they could hold your debit/credit card info, ship you a certified replacement. They could then charge your card if they do not get your old phone back. Vzw has done this for me in the past.

Did you actually suggest buying another phone while they fix the note 5? Thats ridiculous. Just GET THE MONOPRICE CABLE AND BE HAPPY!
    10-26-2015 06:26 PM
    One would think they could hold your debit/credit card info, ship you a certified replacement. They could then charge your card if they do not get your old phone back. Vzw has done this for me in the past.

Did you actually suggest buying another phone while they fix the note 5? Thats ridiculous. Just GET THE MONOPRICE CABLE AND BE HAPPY!
    Samsung USA doesn't ship phones, never has. The only phones they sell have been Verizon developer phones.

Yeah if you don't have an extra phone, buy a $15 dumb phone if you must have a phone while your phone is being repaired.
    10-26-2015 06:31 PM
    Or you can do the easy thing, do a warranty exchange with your carrier.
    10-26-2015 06:33 PM
    I started noticing this issue about 3 weeks ago. The Note 5 would only 'fast charge' about 50% of the time. (I would see the message 'cable charging' the other 50% of the time.)

I finally swapped out the cable for a spare one from an older device and that cable has fast-charged each and every time.

The cable that shipped with my Note5 appears to be thinner and a bit lighter gauge than the replacement. I also noticed that the original cable is susceptible to kinks and I'm suspicious that a kink may have degraded the internal integrity thereby causing intermittent connectivity quality.

I'm disappointed that Samsung appears to have shipped an inferior cable.. But as I don't want to return my unit for lengthy repairs.. I'm just going to live with the new cable solution.

Posted via the Android Central App
    digdug11 likes this.
    10-27-2015 12:42 AM
    correct. but it is noticeably slower now regardless of which charger I use. took the phone to the Samsung experience at best buy today and even they tried a variety of chargers, all were charging at a slower rate than normal. They were also unable to even connect my phone to their diagnostic app. Samsung rep decided it was an issue with the phone after trying latest updates, soft reset, safe mode, and hard reset. Phone still charged slow. Called Verizon and they are fedexing me a refurbished phone.
    10-27-2015 02:43 AM
    I have been down to 17% and still it will not fast charge even after unplugging and replugging it in several times. I only had mines 3 weeks and in the second week this has been happening..... Any resolutions to this yet?
    10-27-2015 05:14 PM
    I have been down to 17% and still it will not fast charge even after unplugging and replugging it in several times. I only had mines 3 weeks and in the second week this has been happening..... Any resolutions to this yet?
    Yes get a three dollar cable from monoprice.com
    10-27-2015 06:41 PM
    Mine works everytime I plug it in, Note 5 on Sprint.
    10-27-2015 06:52 PM
    Telus note 5 same issue. Have to reinsert into block a could times to get it to fast mode. New cable seems to be the best bet.
    10-27-2015 06:56 PM
    mine stopped fast charging all together, last week. a couple days ago i switched out the USB cable for the old one that came with my HTC M7 (not sure that it would help any). ever since it's been working every time i plug it in. odd.
    10-27-2015 10:15 PM
    My note 5 is a hit or miss on fast charging on all level of battery percentage. I normally charge it first at fast wireless charger i bought from samsung, and after 5-10 seconds remove it from fast wireless charger and reconect to a fast charger. It that way the phone could now detect that i am using a fast charger. Because if the phone is only detecting that it is cable charging my battery is draining rather than charging if im using full brightness and surfing the net at 4g network.
    10-29-2015 04:47 AM
    I've just chatted with Samsung and they gave me that fast charging trouble fix

1.Power off the device
    2.Press and Hold the Power Key
    3.When the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Logo displays, release the Power Key and immediately hold down the Volume down Key
    4.Keep holding down the Volume down key until the device boots up completely
    5.If successful, the Safe Mode dialogue will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner
    6. Now charge the device in safe mode for 2 hours
    7. After 2 hours of charging it will fix the issue
    10-29-2015 07:06 AM
    Interested to see if this works.
    10-29-2015 09:34 AM
    Nah. It didnt work. Tried it but same result
    10-29-2015 11:57 AM
365 ... 56789 ...