Note 5 not always fast charging

Point868

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

Posted via the Android Central App

I also was having issues with intermittent fast charging with the provided charger for my Note 5. I bought a fast wireless charger, and realized all of a sudden that I was getting fast charge EVERY TIME if I use the (wired) charger that came with the fast wireless charger. So I decided to experiment, I bought new USB cables from Amazon, used the same charging bricks, and BINGO every single time I charged my phone fast wireless charging came up! The problem is with the cable that came with the Note 5! Shame on you Samsung for sending out DEFECTIVE cables! Hope this helped... I have not had any issues with my fast charging since!

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Um..yes... yes it is. My phone charges flawlessly with my wifes moto turbo charger so i bought a new cable from monoprice. It fast charges every time now with the oem charger and new cable.

Chinoo

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys I was having the same issue with the charger that came with the phone, sometime is fast charging and other just regular, I found a work around, if you plug the phone to the cable and is not fast charging, leave the cable plug to the phone, unplug the cable from power terminal and then plug it back in, it will start charging fast, the key is not to remove the cable from the phone and the leave power connected to the outlet, only removing the cable from the terminal, I thought my cable was bad, but found that works around. Let me know if it work for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Um..yes... yes it is. My phone charges flawlessly with my wifes moto turbo charger so i bought a new cable from monoprice. It fast charges every time now with the oem charger and new cable.

And why would all 3 of my Samsung chargers stop working with my Note 5 and still work with my Note 4 but then still work with my replacement Note 5?

Bluejayy

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok so ive basically have the same problem but ive noticed that the regular charging takes less time now so im not sure if it was this latest upgrade or what. Because since ive gotten these last 2 upgrades fast charging stopped workin on my N5

Big dude just change your wire and you should be fine. Hope it helps.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
And why would all 3 of my Samsung chargers stop working with my Note 5 and still work with my Note 4 but then still work with my replacement Note 5?

This is the same experience I had with my s6e plus. It wouldn't fast charge consistently with several different chargers and cords that my previous phone would. I exchanged it for a new s6e plus and the new one fast charges every time with the same cords my first one wouldn't.

asr456

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Note 5 and it isn't fast charging either. I'm using the cable and fast charger that came packaged with the phone (from Verizon in NYC). I also purchased and received yesterday Samsung's wireless fast charger (the circular platform) from Amazon, and it also isn't fast charging: I put the phone on the platform today when the battery was at 15% and when I checked back after an hour it was only at 26%!! That's more like SLOW CHARGING! Also, how do I know if it is "fast charging"? Is there a special indication on the screen? All I see is that it says "charging" on the bottom of the screen. Thanks.

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Then i would say to you that you are experencing a different problem than i and countless others in this thread. you are in fact in the minority.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Then i would say to you that you are experencing a different problem than i and countless others in this thread. you are in fact in the minority.

Actually I am experiencing the exact same problem. Fast charging stops working. First it is just every once in a while and then it just happens more and more. Others have even gotten new cords and they seem to work for a short time and the issue pops up again.

There is also the possibility that one of the last updates have fixed the issue people have been having with this. I have a loaner Note 5 today and it didn't fast charge and I had to unplug the charger and plug it back up to get fast charging to start working again. Same cord and still my Note 4 will fast charge with it.

Chinoo

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys try this?

Guys I was having the same issue with the charger that came with the phone, sometime is fast charging and other just regular, I found a work around, if you plug the phone to the cable and is not fast charging, leave the cable plug to the phone, unplug the cable from power terminal and then plug it back in, it will start charging fast, the key is not to remove the cable from the phone and the leave power connected to the outlet, only removing the cable from the terminal, I thought my cable was bad, but found that works around. Let me know if it work for you

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys try this?

It's an almost $900 phone. You shouldn't have to do that. The only acceptable option for me was to exchange my phone for a new one that did not have the problem of fast charging inconsistently. If your having the problem and still can exchange then exchange.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine now works EVERY time with my wife's moto x turbo charger as well as the new cord i got from monoprice.

It should work EVERY time with the Samsung supplied cable. Mine does.... If yours doesn't you have a defective phone or cable neither of which is acceptable when buying a new and expensive phone.

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
It should work EVERY time with the Samsung supplied cable. Mine does.... If yours doesn't you have a defective phone or cable neither of which is acceptable when buying a new and expensive phone.

New cable= 2 bucks lol. Guess it all depends on whats more important. The time and energy to swap phones or investing $900 or $902 dollars and going on lol.

Mrobins777

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Have you guys try this?

I literally just unplugged the usb cable from the block and plugged it back in, without removing the cable from my phone and...IT WORKED! FAST CHARGING! YAY ME!!!
Thank you for the tips.

azzsze

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had that problem too. Before the note 5, i had the regular S6 edge. So i traded in my S6 for the Note 5 but i kept the S6 fast charger, i was hoping to use the Notes fast charger at work and keep the S6 one at home but whenever i tried to charge my note 5 with the S6 fast charger and it would randomly decide to fast charge or not. I had to pull in and out to make sure the Note was fast charging. I double checked all details and on adapter and cord and they both are the same

Chinoo

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's an almost $900 phone. You shouldn't have to do that. The only acceptable option for me was to exchange my phone for a new one that did not have the problem of fast charging inconsistently. If your having the problem and still can exchange then exchange.

I understand what you saying, for those people that cannot return the phone and keep buying cables, this is solution until samsung figure out what is going on with their cell charger

Thanks