Note 5 not always fast charging

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I talked to Samsung about something else today and mentioned I was an Android Central team member and we were seeing people post about this issue, the same issue I reported to Samsung before I had T-Mobile switch my phone out because of the fast charging issue.

Samsung asked me a question.. They asked if I would please ask the people having this issue to call and report this issue to Samsung. They said what I have said a couple of times on this thread, people need to report this issue to Samsung. Without people reporting it, it will not be addressed. After a certain number of people report an issue, it automatically triggers an internal investigation into the problem being reported so a fix can be addressed. The actual repair department supervisor told me that if the charger would fast charge the Note 4, S6 or another Note 5 but not fast charge your Note 5 it isn't the charger. Also lsince the problem started a while after the phone was used and started slowly, there is a good chance it will happen with new cords and it isn't the the cord. The fact that the Note 5 has to be unplugged and replugged to trigger fast charging was another indicator it isn't the cord. Also the fact that several have tried other Samsung fast chargers with the same result, fast charging doesn't always work, is another indication it isn't the charger.

BUT..the most important thing, and she repeated this twice, is that people having this issue, even if it isn't happening now, need to call Samsung and report it, even if they have gotten a replacement phone. Three or four reports isn't going to trigger an automatic and REQUIRED by Samsung, investigation and therefore, what is obviously an issue, will not likely be addressed.

So, I'll ask again.. Have any of you called and reported this issue? If not, would you please call and report this issue? Make sure they give you a ticket number. If they don't want to file a ticket because you don't want to send it in to Samsung, ask for a supervisor and tell them you want to notify them of this issue because you have seen several on Android Central having the same issue and you know that after a certain number of reports are done about the same issue, it automatically triggers Samsung to look into there being a software bug or a hardware issue. Also if this is an intermittent hardware issue that eventually leads to hardware failure after the phone is out of warranty having enough report it and it triggering Samsung to investigate it means out of warranty repairs for the issue, will be covered.

Samsung and I both ask all of you to please, please call and report this issue if you haven't already.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
New cable= 2 bucks lol. Guess it all depends on whats more important. The time and energy to swap phones or investing $900 or $902 dollars and going on lol.

What is most important is getting a known issue corrected and on Samsung's radar so the issue can be fixed for good. If people do not report it, Samsung doesn't know it is happening.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had that problem too. Before the note 5, i had the regular S6 edge. So i traded in my S6 for the Note 5 but i kept the S6 fast charger, i was hoping to use the Notes fast charger at work and keep the S6 one at home but whenever i tried to charge my note 5 with the S6 fast charger and it would randomly decide to fast charge or not. I had to pull in and out to make sure the Note was fast charging. I double checked all details and on adapter and cord and they both are the same

You need to exchange your phone. I have my Note 5 charger at home, my Note 4 charger in my purse and my S6 charger at the office. Now that I exchanged my phone, I can use all 3 cords on my Note 5 again also and not just use the cords on my Note 4 and get fast charging.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you saying, for those people that cannot return the phone and keep buying cables, this is solution until samsung figure out what is going on with their cell charger

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Well you can exchange your phone. Your carrier will send you a new one and you send your old one back after you get the new one. Some carriers even do warranty exchanges in the store. The ones that don't have warranty exchanges in the store will ship you out a replacement with a paid return label and then you send your broken phone back to the carrier.

Samsung will not address the phone people if only a few report the problem with their phone.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
What is most important is getting a known issue corrected and on Samsung's radar so the issue can be fixed for good. If people do not report it, Samsung doesn't know it is happening.

Agreed. I reported this issue and the issue I was having with the Samsung wireless charger. Didn't take long to report and for Samsung to make it right. Now I have a phone that consistently fast charges with the supplied Samsung cord every time, and a Samsung wireless charger that works flawlessly every time.

I don't understand how some people can just overlook that something they paid for is having issues and not report it or not want it to work properly as its supposed to without unplugging and replugging or replacing cords etc... That just seems silly to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So on behalf of those asking i called samsung last night to report the issue. I did not mention that new cables fixed the issue in my case. The sammy rep told me i would have to ship them my device to be repaired. I was like uhh that will leave me without a phone. They actually suggested i call my carrier(vzw) and ask them for a "loaner phone".
Not going to happen. I guess i will continue on as is. Luckily the two dollar monoprice cables fixed my issue.
At least i reported the issue and made a claim.

elar0331

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I tried your theory doesn't work I tried charging from 0% to 19% still doesn't fast charge I have to constantly remove it after 5 to 10 times it starts fast charging

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone is still doing this. It's not the cable. I have tried 3 different cables all from brand new Note 5s and it still does the same thing. Takes me unplugging it and plugging back in 5-10 times before fast charging will kick in. So frustrating.

I will contact Samsung tonight to see what they say.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Intermittent issues and have to remove cable from block multiple times to get it to fast charge. Stupid.

Brian Calhoun

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a one month old Note 5 on Verizon. On an everyday basis, I use 5 different chargers in 5 different locations.
old S3 charger in the bedroom at night
Note 5 charger in kitchen
verizon charger at work,plugged into extension cord
Samsung car charger in car
portable battery pack from Samsung

all of these would fast charge, all of the time, at any battery level, until yesterday. Now the only one that fast charges on any kind of basis is the stock Note 5 charger, and this one needs to be unplugged several times before it fast charges. Simple logic tells me that it is not any of the chargers that are causing this problem.

TigerDave

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I FOUND A COUPLE FIXES... that work for me anyways

So here's the deal with my note 5, i use the stock charger but it rarely fast charges. My wife bought an S6 and hers always fast charges. I tried swapping chargers, and her phone fast charged with both of our chargers, while my phone almost never fast charged. I suspect the note 5 port is to blame.

FIX 1: Sh!tty workaround: if you angle the charger upwards when you plug it in, it catches against the port. If you then shimmy it in, it SOMETIMES triggers the fast charge. (two reasons I don't like this are because it's unreliable, and in the long run it will damage your port)

FIX 2: go to monoprice, buy the "Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable 6ft- White". Monoprice is a reliable 3rd party electronics supplier, these cables are $3 and, when plugged into my fast charger block, work 100% of the time. I initially bought them because i needed a car charger and at that price why not buy a couple more? Anyway I noticed someone on some thread saying plugging the monoprice cable into the fast charger worked for him, and lo and behold, it works for me too!

I'm sure mileage may vary, so please, if anyone else has or wants to try the monoprice route, post results here because I'm interested in seeing whether this works across the board

My samsung repair store told me it would take a week to fix and i can't leave my phone behind that long, so I'm glad i found this. It's sh!tty that samsung won't offer a workable fix on their own, but I hope this fixes everyone's problems!

dre22era

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the S6 edge plus and fast charge works with my OEM cord and charger but not with 2 of my powerbanks that supports fast charging. Previously owned the regular S6 edge and both powerbanks fast charged the phone until fast charge no longer worked at all on the phone. After fighting with Sprint they upgraded me to the edge plus. Weird

Fobbers

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 5 amd it is at 18% right now but it is not on fast charge. My phone just started doing this about a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• 3199.jpg
    3199.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 72

Lawrence Chiu

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've had my note 5 for 3 weeks and after reading these posts I noticed mine is also not fast charging and I was only using the factory cable and dongel provided. I have tested different cables, plugging it in and out with no luck. On the advice of other posts, I decided to call Samsung in Canada. They suggested for me to back up the phone then factory reset. If that didn't work they wanted me to send it in for repair.

Well I did the hard reset with little luck. Now I'm finding that if just plug the factory cable on the dongle with the phone plugged in the other side it will work provided I plug the cable into the dongle at a slight angle.

The customer service they provide is absolutely horrible. Did I mention this phone is 3 weeks old WTF should of stuck with iPhone. ...

Anyone have any luck?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok,, so the cord that came with note 5 is definitely junk. I compared it to my note 4 cord, night and day. Note 4 cord is twice as thick and longer. The note 4 cord fast charges all the time.

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I switched to my Note 4 cord and charger and it fast charges everytime now. Guess the Note 5 charger and cable is trash.

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what ive been saying. This is a cable/charger issue. The cheap 3 dollar monoprice cable is very well made and actually snaps in when you connect it to your phone. Works EVERY time for me and ive been using it for a few weeks now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt