Note 5 not always fast charging

Camogreen

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the t mobile note 5 and mine did the same thing after a month. Had to unplug and plug it back in several times for it to fast charge. And when it did, the cord got really hot where it plugged into the phone.

I took it to samsung repair center near me and showed it to them. Of course it worked the first try but had them try again and it wouldn't fast charge. They took it in and replaced the charge port on my phone and now no more issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

DoctorDoom11

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

DoctorDoom11

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had the note 5 for a week on AT&T and then switched to T-mobile and got a different note 5. I have noticed this on both versions. When I plug the phone into the charger that came with it, it doesn't always fast charge. I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times until it finally says fast charge. What's going on? It's not a huge deal because I generally just charge at night so it doesn't matter how fast. But sometimes, especially after work, if I'm going out again I would like to charge it up quickly and it doesn't seem to be working reliably.

I've noticed if you wobble the cable where it meets the charging tip it seems to work again.

sportscars

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Until this week the phone charged flawlessly. Now it is saying 12 hours to full charge - Even on airplane mode! I have tried three different charging blocks and 5 different cables. I have mixed and matched. I have reversed the plug and tried different outlets. I have tried car chargers and computers and still getting the same thing. Sprint phone on Sprint network. Took it in today to be troubleshot and all they could tell me is it "might" be an app I have, even though I have no new apps in the last month. Advised me to do a hard reset and see if that fixes it.

kbsdad

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Note 5 and an S6 back in January and have the same problem with both. About a month and a ½ ago I bought the fast charge "car charger" from Samsung and got the same exact thing!

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
It's not the cable on my phone. It's a phone issue. I have a brand new cable straight from Samsung and still will not fast charge. If I'm lucky I can get fast charge to show up after about 50 times unplugging and replugging. I have about had it with this. And now my phone takes forever to charge regular.

Doesn't help that my battery is lasts maybe a couple of hours as it is.

Aspeas

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
If I can remember correctly, the lady at ATT told me something about not being on fast charge if your battery percent is above a certain amount... like if you are at 70% and you plug in it will not fast charge but if you are at 20% then it would. *shoulder shrug*

She's wrong, my battery is at 73% and is still fast charging

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine does not always fast charge either all the time with rhe plug. I have a choetech fast wireless charger. The note 5 will always fast wireless charge. Not as fast as wired but pretty close.

Caneinsane1

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Have you guys try this?

Guys I was having the same issue with the charger that came with the phone, sometime is fast charging and other just regular, I found a work around, if you plug the phone to the cable and is not fast charging, leave the cable plug to the phone, unplug the cable from power terminal and then plug it back in, it will start charging fast, the key is not to remove the cable from the phone and the leave power connected to the outlet, only removing the cable from the terminal, I thought my cable was bad, but found that works around. Let me know if it work for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to tell if the "fast charge" is slowing down and if it's the cable or the phone? Feels like it's a bit slower these last few days but I could be wrong. Using a 3rd party fast charger and a 3rd party 6ft cable (I got a "high gauge" one or whatever that's supposed to better allow the fast charging).

It's not terribly urgent but I suppose it'd be nice to know if it's the cable or the charger or the phone or my mind, haha.

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
My Fast charger started working when I switched to a heavier cable. It looks thicker. I also ordered new Samsung chargers from Groupon and they worked like charms. Much better than the Samsung charger that came in the box with the phone. Go figure.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Can't believe this discussion is still on-going, fact of the matter is it's the cable that comes with the Note 5 that is the culprit. The charger itself is perfectly fine and the issue is not the phone. Replace the cable and all will be well.

raruhs

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
And beside the fast chsrging issue I have another one. Sometimes the phone stops charging at all, even when it says fast changing. I put i to charge las nighg and when I woke up it still said fsdt charging and at 87%.. I giess something in the phone may be broken

Update: restarted the phone snd now it sais 99%.. I have no idea what it could be

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Can't believe this discussion is still on-going, fact of the matter is it's the cable that comes with the Note 5 that is the culprit. The charger itself is perfectly fine and the issue is not the phone. Replace the cable and all will be well.

I have to concur; I switched from the OEM cable to a sturdy AM one and I've not had a problem since. Sometimes the best solution is the most obvious!

That said, if one is still having problems with it after replacing the cable and block, then your carrier or Samsung needs to get involved.

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone fast charges everytime now that I received the Marshmallow update. Figured it wasn't the cable since I have tried 5 brand new cables before.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site

It's funny. I hadn't had a problem with charging until a few days ago. (bought my Note in December) Last night I made sure it was fast charging before I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was cable charging. Will definitely be trying a different cable, then a different brick. If all that doesn't work, I'm going to become a pain in someone's life.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It's funny. I hadn't had a problem with charging until a few days ago. (bought my Note in December) Last night I made sure it was fast charging before I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was cable charging. Will definitely be trying a different cable, then a different brick. If all that doesn't work, I'm going to become a pain in someone's life.

New cable will do the trick trust me.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I wondered if that was it or the port on the phone. However, I bought a 10 foot cable from Walmart and have it plugged into my S5 fast charger outlet and it works and says "fast charging". The Note 5 wire in my bedroom takes a few tries to get fast charging. I ordered a fast wireless charger hoping that will work. Guess I'll need a wire too.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae