Samsung Protection Plus? Asurion? SquareTrade?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I know some of you don't purchase insurance. But for those that do, what is the best alternative for a VZW Note 5?

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I personally use Asurion. I just looked at the terms and conditions for Samsung Protection Plus, and it looks like it has the same amount of coverage as the warranty. I don't know why you would want a duplicate warranty. I've never used SquareTrade.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have asurion but the deductible is $200.00

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I use Squaretrade. I have had to use the warranty before and it was pleasant. The deductible is only $75 and you can get a refund on the unused portion of the original purchase if you sell the phone. The only thing not covered is loss or theft.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Just tried to buy the Samsung Protection Plus, and my N5 (entered my IMEI) is not included in the plan.
What??

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Just tried to buy the Samsung Protection Plus, and my N5 (entered my IMEI) is not included in the plan.
What??

How long have you had your N5? If you look at the Terms and Conditions, there is an unspecified window of time (from when you purchased the device) that you can purchase Samsung Protection Plus.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I've used Asurion through VZW, and have never had bad service- new phone arrives as scheduled. The only issue I have is the deductible, and I'm looking in to alternatives right now.

Asurion - Note 5 deductible is $199, and $8 per month
Squaretrade - $75 deductible, and $99 upfront cost
Samsung = $79 deductible, and $129 upfront cost.

The problem I have with Asurion is that they don't specifically list the Note 5 on their website right now. Squaretrade allows you to select Samsung Galaxy Smartphone, but does not specifically list the Samsung Note 5. This leads me to looking in to the Samsung Protection Plan, as it specifically lists the Note 5, and their terms and conditions are reasonable. I'm confused on what 2 claims within a 12 month period means though.

Let's say I break my phone today- Sep 2015, and then break it again in Aug 2016, and then again in Feb 2017, technically their will have only been 2 claims in any 12 month period of time, so I'm wondering if the third claim would be allowed.

Anybody have any experience in Samsung Protection Plans?

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Just contacted Samsung Support and asked about the third claim- here's their response-
Brisa: Unfortunately, there is no detailed information on if there is an option to claim third accident with the device. However, we do have dedicated who can provide you with detailed information.

Ummm..yeah, that's why I asked the question. They gave me the Cust Support Phone #.

EDIT - You can have up to 3 claims within the 24 month period.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have asurion but the deductible is $200.00

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
Are you on the new plan or on the legacy one? I am on the legacy plan and the deductible is $99

uploadfromtaptalk1441510833567.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Even though VZW N5 owners can't sign up for Protection Plus on the Samsung site, customer service is working with me using alternative methods to get me set up. So far, I am impressed with their customer service. The Samsung PP plan looks the best for me.

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
eSurance also has added mobile insurance coverage. Covers water damage and theft or loss. Prices seem a little less than others. I currently have Protect My Bubble. Very good customer service. Broke the screen on my 2013 Moto X a month ago and they replaced it with a Note 3 with the same size storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
eSurance also has added mobile insurance coverage. Covers water damage and theft or loss. Prices seem a little less than others. I currently have Protect My Bubble. Very good customer service. Broke the screen on my 2013 Moto X a month ago and they replaced it with a Note 3 with the same size storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cool - I'll check into this as well.
Haven't pulled the trigger with Samsung just yet.

Edit: they don't offer coverage yet for the VZW N5. Sent them an email request.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
If you get a device at Costco in Canada there is Asurion Excellence Plus which is $95 then a $50 deductible for a replacement. No monthly fee. Covers 4 claims including 1 battery replacement. Doesnt cover theft. Covers all screens, drops and water. Had to get it for sure at that price.

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Cool - I'll check into this as well.
Haven't pulled the trigger with Samsung just yet.

Edit: they don't offer coverage yet for the VZW N5. Sent them an email request.
Thanks for the update. Been looking to pick up the Note 5, but not in a rush. Maybe I'll wait for them to cover it before purchasing it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk