Samsung Protection Plus? Asurion? SquareTrade?

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I know this is always a sensitive topic, but I will go ahead and say it...

I self-insure everything that I can afford to self-insure...

The only thing that I cannot afford to self-insure is my house, and my car... And my car I can probably self-insure the car itself, but I definitely need liability coverage (which is required by law).

While $800.00 is a large amount, it is absolutely self-insurable... If a company is willing to transfer your risk for $5-$10 bucks a month...I am willing to save that amount to self-insure...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know this is always a sensitive topic, but I will go ahead and say it...

I self-insure everything that I can afford to self-insure...

The only thing that I cannot afford to self-insure is my house, and my car... And my car I can probably self-insure the car itself, but I definitely need liability coverage (which is required by law).

While $800.00 is a large amount, it is absolutely self-insurable... If a company is willing to transfer your risk for $5-$10 bucks a month...I am willing to save that amount to self-insure...

In California, You aren't legally required to insure against damages to your own car, but you are legally required to insure against damages to someone else or their car. You can self insure by having a cash deposit of $35k with the dmv.

Personally, even if I had $35k laying around, I would still get insurance as $35k isn't enough to cover in case of a major accident.

With regards to smartphone, it depends on your needs. Some like the security net. Beyond that, personally, it is easier to say, honey I need to spend $99 to get my note 5 replaced rather than saying honey, I need $800 to get the note 5 replaced. Yeah I could explain the calculation about how much I am saving without cell phone insurance... Just like I could explain cell phone costs, but it is just easier to say the contract price, rather than the full retail price, even though the contract price is rolled into the monthly premium.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, haven't heard back from Samsung. Not totally surprised.
Have any other VZW N5 owners been able to buy, or at least enter the purchase process on the Samsung site?
Their site does accept my IMEI code. I think it's a VZW thing.

tripjnj

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I just got off the phone with their customer service. As of now, Verizon phones can't purchase the plan online. They asked me to send the following to "ecomm15@sea.samsung.com":

Name
Phone Number
IMEI code

Include your name and # in the subject line and attach a copy of your sales receipt. I sent the email about 15 minutes ago and haven't heard back yet.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with their customer service. As of now, Verizon phones can't purchase the plan online. They asked me to send the following to "ecomm15@sea.samsung.com":

Name
Phone Number
IMEI code

Include your name and # in the subject line and attach a copy of your sales receipt. I sent the email about 15 minutes ago and haven't heard back yet.

Yup - I did this last Saturday.
Haven't heard back yet.

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I just got off the phone with square trade and put 2 note 5's at the cost of $170. Should of been $99 each but they said it was their family plan. $75 deductible on each device.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Kkosier

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used Asurion through VZW, and have never had bad service- new phone arrives as scheduled. The only issue I have is the deductible, and I'm looking in to alternatives right now.

Asurion - Note 5 deductible is $199, and $8 per month
Squaretrade - $75 deductible, and $99 upfront cost
Samsung = $79 deductible, and $129 upfront cost.

The problem I have with Asurion is that they don't specifically list the Note 5 on their website right now. Squaretrade allows you to select Samsung Galaxy Smartphone, but does not specifically list the Samsung Note 5. This leads me to looking in to the Samsung Protection Plan, as it specifically lists the Note 5, and their terms and conditions are reasonable. I'm confused on what 2 claims within a 12 month period means though.

Let's say I break my phone today- Sep 2015, and then break it again in Aug 2016, and then again in Feb 2017, technically their will have only been 2 claims in any 12 month period of time, so I'm wondering if the third claim would be allowed.

Anybody have any experience in Samsung Protection Plans?
I've had two phone breaks in a 12 month period. About 10 months apart. Asurion will cancel your insurance after the second one and you have to wait 12 months from the second claim and then buy a new phone to be able to add the insurance back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
After trying to get Samsung to respond to their protection plan, which might be the best for me, I've just given up. I added Asurion coverage after about a week just to have something covering my N5 and I think I'll just stick with it.

Painfully, I had my N5 knocked off a nearby table during a visit to my Doctor. I was glad to have a case on it, and for it to be insured. It came through unscathed.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: SquareTrade...

I'm about to order my phone online from Verizon. If I want to do SquareTrade, do I just order my phone without the Ausrion then sign up for SquareTrade as soon as my phone arrives or do I do it after I order it? Thanks!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: SquareTrade...

I'm about to order my phone online from Verizon. If I want to do SquareTrade, do I just order my phone without the Ausrion then sign up for SquareTrade as soon as my phone arrives or do I do it after I order it? Thanks!

Last I read about Square Trade, you either had to have bought the phone from a retail place in less than 30 days or have current coverage on it. Might as well get it with coverage until you get the Square Trade, then cancel Ausrion. You will only pay a few cents until you get Square Trade and if you took it out of the box and dropped it and broke it, then it is covered.

tripjnj

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
After trying to get Samsung to respond to their protection plan, which might be the best for me, I've just given up. I added Asurion coverage after about a week just to have something covering my N5 and I think I'll just stick with it.

Painfully, I had my N5 knocked off a nearby table during a visit to my Doctor. I was glad to have a case on it, and for it to be insured. It came through unscathed.

After 2 followup emails went ignored, I also gave up on Samsung. Guess they don't want our $$$! Currently on the Asurion $7/month plan and will probably just stay here at this point.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Last I read about Square Trade, you either had to have bought the phone from a retail place in less than 30 days or have current coverage on it. Might as well get it with coverage until you get the Square Trade, then cancel Ausrion. You will only pay a few cents until you get Square Trade and if you took it out of the box and dropped it and broke it, then it is covered.

Well - I just ordered the phone without any additional coverage and planned on signing up for SquareTrade upon receipt of the phone. I should be ok unless I drop the phone when unboxing it, correct??