Samsung Protection Plus? Asurion? SquareTrade?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well - I just ordered the phone without any additional coverage and planned on signing up for SquareTrade upon receipt of the phone. I should be ok unless I drop the phone when unboxing it, correct??

Yeah you should, but double check with Square Trade for what you need for a new phone like that to give to them. Like I said, been a couple of years since I verified what was needed for Square Trade.

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
What about the warranty on the phone or does that even matter. Is it different for a lease? Sprint is 11 bucks a month but the deductible is so much lower for square trade. Assurion is 200 on a 800 dollar phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What about the warranty on the phone or does that even matter. Is it different for a lease? Sprint is 11 bucks a month but the deductible is so much lower for square trade. Assurion is 200 on a 800 dollar phone.

Warranty is different than the insurance. First, warranty won't cover a broken, water damaged or lost/stolen phone.

Insurance will cover those, Square Trade won't cover lost or stolen.

unknownuser02

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have asurion through att and my note4 wasn't charging so made a claim and they sent me a note5, so asurion did good in my book

I had a similar situation. Replaced an LG G2 through Asurion and ended up receiving a G3. This occurred just before the G4 was released. I also only payed $100 because I hadn't filed a claim in 12 months.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
why bother with insurance? it doesn't make financial sense.

Verizon charges $11 for TEC... that's $264 after 24 months.

I bought TWO Note 5 phones for $296 each during the current Verizon $400-off promotion. The 2nd one is intended as a back-up only.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
why bother with insurance? it doesn't make financial sense.

Verizon charges $11 for TEC... that's $264 after 24 months.

I bought TWO Note 5 phones for $296 each during the current Verizon $400-off promotion. The 2nd one is intended as a back-up only.

Depends.. I always had my niece on Square Trade, but she was breaking her iPhone screen every couple of months, sometimes worse, like closing her bag in the door and crushing her phone. That would be expensive to repair that often. Now my sister knows someone that can replace the screen and she can buy one for about $25.

Square Trade is about $4 a month ($99 for two years, $50 a year) and $75 deductible to replace broken glass, out of warranty repair, water damage, etc. It is good for people that don't want to use a case.

Attachments

• 1443655722277.jpg
    1443655722277.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 27

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Just checked Samsung Protection Plus again, b/c I registered my N5 on the Samsung site a week back or so. I was hoping that maybe Samsung would recognize my N5 as a valid device.

No dice.
I've already talked to Samsung Customer Service the first week I got my phone. Haven't heard back.
Wonder what's up with this.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Just checked Samsung Protection Plus again, b/c I registered my N5 on the Samsung site a week back or so. I was hoping that maybe Samsung would recognize my N5 as a valid device.

No dice.
I've already talked to Samsung Customer Service the first week I got my phone. Haven't heard back.
Wonder what's up with this.

I am highly skeptical of the Samsung plan. Like others, I've had a real hard time getting Samsung to reply to my questions. (either via email or on the phone) So far, no response after 11 days.

I even being to imagine how slow their claim process will take if I actually need to file a claim.

That's why I'm passing on the Samsung protection plan. Probably will go with SquareTrade.

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Most of my communication with Samsung has been through Twitter. I dont even try calling. They respond fairly quick. Maybe because people can see it.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm checking out Protect Your Bubble. It said on quote that the note 5 was $75 deductible. $6.99 a month

I've had my phone over 30 days. Does that exclude me from verizon asurion plan or square trade?

Posted via the Android Central App

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm checking out Protect Your Bubble. It said on quote that the note 5 was $75 deductible. $6.99 a month

I've had my phone over 30 days. Does that exclude me from verizon asurion plan or square trade?

Posted via the Android Central App

Protect Your Bubble by Assurant.... I assume it's the same Assurant that T-Mobile uses?
check out these reviews: Top 280 Complaints and Reviews about Assurant

Tom 08

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I also got same problem. I bought my phone 3 months ago and now would like to buy a protection plan for my both of the devices,but i am unable to do it. Its showing that your device could not be found. Can anyone suggest what should i do?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I was looking into getting this $129 protection plan from samsung.. but i called them, though not stated on this page, as some have mentioned, there is a deductible of $99 for accidental claims.. so you drop your phone crack screen, its $99 per claim (vs how much to actually fix by samsung, $250?)

Similar squaretrade coverage i've found for my ebay purchased (new) s7 edges are $79 each for 2 years.. no deductible.. so i guess screen cracks aside squaretrade is still better

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that in the long run, you will almost certainly pay more to buy insurance than to just pay for any needed repair or replacement yourself. If that weren't true, insurance companies would lose money instead of being profitable, and they would go out of business.

Insurance is only helpful for disasters that you couldn't otherwise recover from, and that are so rare that the "long run" would take several lifetimes--disasters such as your house burning down.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Keep in mind that in the long run, you will almost certainly pay more to buy insurance than to just pay for any needed repair or replacement yourself. If that weren't true, insurance companies would lose money instead of being profitable, and they would go out of business.

Insurance is only helpful for disasters that you couldn't otherwise recover from, and that are so rare that the "long run" would take several lifetimes--disasters such as your house burning down.

i already had this happen before, where my 1.5 year old windows phone was having battery issues, no longer charging etc.. i would have been out the original $400 i paid had i not paid $79 for a 2 year warranty.. submit the claim to squaretrade.. paypal refund of $400 within a few days. Yeah I probably could have sent it in for repair (cost?) and likely end up with a refurb anyway, but this was a much better route.

On the glass shattering and cost of that repair I have no idea.. actually.. i wonder if you replace your glass yourself after the 1 year warranty, but still have squaretrade.. then run into a normal mechanical issue, if squaretrade still will reimburse you the cost of the phone or repair it (void squaretrade by fixing screen?).. i'm guessing squaretrade would still cover this.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
i already had this happen before, where my 1.5 year old windows phone was having battery issues, no longer charging etc.. i would have been out the original $400 i paid had i not paid $79 for a 2 year warranty.. submit the claim to squaretrade.. paypal refund of $400 within a few days.
Sure, insurance is to your advantage on those occasions when something breaks. But on average, in the long run, you also pay insurance all the years that nothing breaks. And on average, in the long run, that adds up to more than the benefit you get from the occasions when the insurance does pay off for you. Otherwise, insurance companies would lose money on average.

Collin P

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
esurance price was about the same as asurion. 10.99 a month with 175$ deductable in stead of 200$. seems kindof high. i had asurion with metro on my s7 for 6$ a month, when i just switched to verizons 80$ a month unlimited plan they had to switch my phone to a verizon brand s7 edge but insurance is 11$ a month with asurion. makes no sense. seems high to me.

BuckyBadg

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
esurance price was about the same as asurion. 10.99 a month with 175$ deductable in stead of 200$. seems kindof high. i had asurion with metro on my s7 for 6$ a month, when i just switched to verizons 80$ a month unlimited plan they had to switch my phone to a verizon brand s7 edge but insurance is 11$ a month with asurion. makes no sense. seems high to me.

Also, in my experience, Asurian's deductable, when it came to phone replacement for me was high, $250 to be exact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol