02-17-2017 05:17 PM
58 123
tools
    I know some of you don't purchase insurance. But for those that do, what is the best alternative for a VZW Note 5?
    09-04-2015 12:26 PM
    I personally use Asurion. I just looked at the terms and conditions for Samsung Protection Plus, and it looks like it has the same amount of coverage as the warranty. I don't know why you would want a duplicate warranty. I've never used SquareTrade.
    09-04-2015 01:16 PM
    I have asurion but the deductible is $200.00

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
    PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
    09-04-2015 01:22 PM
    I use Squaretrade. I have had to use the warranty before and it was pleasant. The deductible is only $75 and you can get a refund on the unused portion of the original purchase if you sell the phone. The only thing not covered is loss or theft.
    09-04-2015 02:10 PM
    Just tried to buy the Samsung Protection Plus, and my N5 (entered my IMEI) is not included in the plan.
    What??
    09-04-2015 02:26 PM
    I prefer SquareTrade. I can't stand Asurian. They have the worst customer service.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-04-2015 02:32 PM
    Just tried to buy the Samsung Protection Plus, and my N5 (entered my IMEI) is not included in the plan.
    What??
    How long have you had your N5? If you look at the Terms and Conditions, there is an unspecified window of time (from when you purchased the device) that you can purchase Samsung Protection Plus.
    09-04-2015 02:37 PM
    24 hours ago.
    09-04-2015 02:41 PM
    24 hours ago.
    I just tried for myself and it accepted my IMEI. Are you selecting the correct protection plan? Note: There is a seperate plan for Note 3, Note 4, Note edge, S6 edge, Note 5, and S6 edge+ See link below:
    Mobile Phone Accessories & Smartphone Accessories | Samsung
    09-04-2015 02:56 PM
    I just tried for myself and it accepted my IMEI. Are you selecting the correct protection plan? Note: There is a seperate plan for Note 3, Note 4, Note edge, S6 edge, Note 5, and S6 edge+ See link below:
    Mobile Phone Accessories & Smartphone Accessories | Samsung
    Thanks for checking into it.
    Yup, I've got the right plan - doesn't work for my VZW N5.
    Are you with VZW?
    Maybe that's it.
    I"ll call in.
    09-04-2015 03:13 PM
    Thanks for checking into it.
    Yup, I've got the right plan - doesn't work for my VZW N5.
    Are you with VZW?
    Maybe that's it.
    I"ll call in.
    I'm on AT&T

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-04-2015 03:35 PM
    I've used Asurion through VZW, and have never had bad service- new phone arrives as scheduled. The only issue I have is the deductible, and I'm looking in to alternatives right now.

Asurion - Note 5 deductible is $199, and $8 per month
    Squaretrade - $75 deductible, and $99 upfront cost
    Samsung = $79 deductible, and $129 upfront cost.

The problem I have with Asurion is that they don't specifically list the Note 5 on their website right now. Squaretrade allows you to select Samsung Galaxy Smartphone, but does not specifically list the Samsung Note 5. This leads me to looking in to the Samsung Protection Plan, as it specifically lists the Note 5, and their terms and conditions are reasonable. I'm confused on what 2 claims within a 12 month period means though.

Let's say I break my phone today- Sep 2015, and then break it again in Aug 2016, and then again in Feb 2017, technically their will have only been 2 claims in any 12 month period of time, so I'm wondering if the third claim would be allowed.

Anybody have any experience in Samsung Protection Plans?
    09-04-2015 07:11 PM
    Just contacted Samsung Support and asked about the third claim- here's their response-
    Brisa: Unfortunately, there is no detailed information on if there is an option to claim third accident with the device. However, we do have dedicated who can provide you with detailed information.
    Ummm..yeah, that's why I asked the question. They gave me the Cust Support Phone #.

EDIT - You can have up to 3 claims within the 24 month period.
    09-04-2015 07:25 PM
    I have asurion but the deductible is $200.00

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
    PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
    Are you on the new plan or on the legacy one? I am on the legacy plan and the deductible is $99

Samsung Protection Plus?  Asurion?  SquareTrade?-uploadfromtaptalk1441510833567.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-05-2015 10:40 PM
    Even though VZW N5 owners can't sign up for Protection Plus on the Samsung site, customer service is working with me using alternative methods to get me set up. So far, I am impressed with their customer service. The Samsung PP plan looks the best for me.
    09-06-2015 06:55 AM
    eSurance also has added mobile insurance coverage. Covers water damage and theft or loss. Prices seem a little less than others. I currently have Protect My Bubble. Very good customer service. Broke the screen on my 2013 Moto X a month ago and they replaced it with a Note 3 with the same size storage.

09-06-2015 07:25 AM
    eSurance also has added mobile insurance coverage. Covers water damage and theft or loss. Prices seem a little less than others. I currently have Protect My Bubble. Very good customer service. Broke the screen on my 2013 Moto X a month ago and they replaced it with a Note 3 with the same size storage.

Cool - I'll check into this as well.
    Haven't pulled the trigger with Samsung just yet.

Edit: they don't offer coverage yet for the VZW N5. Sent them an email request.
    09-06-2015 07:37 AM
    If you get a device at Costco in Canada there is Asurion Excellence Plus which is $95 then a $50 deductible for a replacement. No monthly fee. Covers 4 claims including 1 battery replacement. Doesnt cover theft. Covers all screens, drops and water. Had to get it for sure at that price.
    09-06-2015 07:42 AM
    Cool - I'll check into this as well.
    Haven't pulled the trigger with Samsung just yet.

Edit: they don't offer coverage yet for the VZW N5. Sent them an email request.
    Thanks for the update. Been looking to pick up the Note 5, but not in a rush. Maybe I'll wait for them to cover it before purchasing it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    09-07-2015 01:33 PM
    Samsung is working with me to get me covered this week, even though the VZW Note 5 is not on their site.
    09-07-2015 01:36 PM
    I know this is always a sensitive topic, but I will go ahead and say it...

I self-insure everything that I can afford to self-insure...

The only thing that I cannot afford to self-insure is my house, and my car... And my car I can probably self-insure the car itself, but I definitely need liability coverage (which is required by law).

While $800.00 is a large amount, it is absolutely self-insurable... If a company is willing to transfer your risk for $5-$10 bucks a month...I am willing to save that amount to self-insure...
    rpwalton likes this.
    09-07-2015 08:32 PM
    I know this is always a sensitive topic, but I will go ahead and say it...

I self-insure everything that I can afford to self-insure...

The only thing that I cannot afford to self-insure is my house, and my car... And my car I can probably self-insure the car itself, but I definitely need liability coverage (which is required by law).

While $800.00 is a large amount, it is absolutely self-insurable... If a company is willing to transfer your risk for $5-$10 bucks a month...I am willing to save that amount to self-insure...
    In California, You aren't legally required to insure against damages to your own car, but you are legally required to insure against damages to someone else or their car. You can self insure by having a cash deposit of $35k with the dmv.

Personally, even if I had $35k laying around, I would still get insurance as $35k isn't enough to cover in case of a major accident.

With regards to smartphone, it depends on your needs. Some like the security net. Beyond that, personally, it is easier to say, honey I need to spend $99 to get my note 5 replaced rather than saying honey, I need $800 to get the note 5 replaced. Yeah I could explain the calculation about how much I am saving without cell phone insurance... Just like I could explain cell phone costs, but it is just easier to say the contract price, rather than the full retail price, even though the contract price is rolled into the monthly premium.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-07-2015 11:55 PM
    Well, haven't heard back from Samsung. Not totally surprised.
    Have any other VZW N5 owners been able to buy, or at least enter the purchase process on the Samsung site?
    Their site does accept my IMEI code. I think it's a VZW thing.
    09-09-2015 08:37 AM
    I just got off the phone with their customer service. As of now, Verizon phones can't purchase the plan online. They asked me to send the following to "ecomm15@sea.samsung.com":

Name
    Phone Number
    IMEI code

Include your name and # in the subject line and attach a copy of your sales receipt. I sent the email about 15 minutes ago and haven't heard back yet.
    09-09-2015 09:07 AM
    I just got off the phone with their customer service. As of now, Verizon phones can't purchase the plan online. They asked me to send the following to "ecomm15@sea.samsung.com":

Name
    Phone Number
    IMEI code

Include your name and # in the subject line and attach a copy of your sales receipt. I sent the email about 15 minutes ago and haven't heard back yet.
    Yup - I did this last Saturday.
    Haven't heard back yet.
    09-09-2015 10:38 AM
58 123