These are the apps i have disabled. Will they effect anything?

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Google app is Google Now. So if you disable Google app you wouldn't have Google now. Google now does have increased battery usage, even when idle, as it polls location quite a bit.

Disabled however won't affect Google chrome

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the Google app is just the search app but I don't know for sure. It could be part of other Google stuff, like maybe Google Now. I've never seen a good answer to the question, and I don't use Google Now, Google+, Google Apps or other stuff I would need working to test it myself. I doubt it has anything to do with Chrome, however.

It is part of Google Now. There is a Google Voice search under "Voice Search" that is the voice commands without Google Now.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I disable the stuff I know I'll never use. But I don't worry much about it. I don't stress over eliminating every possible app or process possible. IMHO people get way too concerned about micromanaging everything.

I think it's better to let Android handle things and automatically self-optimize operation as it is designed to do. If given the chance, Android runs better and better as you use it. But you have to leave it alone or it can't optimize itself.

Anyway, I just enjoy using the friggin' phone without futzing around much. Unless something is hogging CPU cycles and draining the battery it's not bothering me or slowing down the phone.

For example, the Google App aka Google search. It just sits cached in a minimal amount of memory. No draw on system resources or battery. Why should I disable it? There's nothing significant to be gained. Besides, I might want to do a search.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

Yup, totally agree. Well said.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've disabled quite a few stock apps (Facebook, Instagram, to name s few). Yet, every now and then, they are active again. Also, I make sure to uninstall the updates first.

Why is that?
Thanks...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Titanium backup. Disabling apps only works on rooted devices though. Package disabler pro can work without root.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Exactly, that is why I wondered why they were saying TB and then thought they couldn't possibly be talking about TB. Root isn't out for many, if any models right now, and as of now, Verizon and AT&T models look like they will never have root.