Location Services and battery drain

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been asked dozens of times if by turning off location History it will not allow to locate the device if stolen or lost, and the answer is No, you'll lose that just when you turn off Location completely. I decided to create this thread just to advise on this Location Settings according to my experience and others that I have helped setting the phones.

First of all, I know a lot of people who only has Location on all the time just for their Weather widgets and apps to refresh your weather information, you don't need your Actual Location to have that, you can simply turn that off on the weather app or widget and enter your city or cities manually, it will give you the same information the only difference is that it will not ping your location all the time to do it.

I have tested all settings and I have found that the one that does the job while preserve the battery life the most is the Wifi and Cell signal only option, in other phones it's called Power Saving Mode. I've been using this option all the time for the past couple of months and it really uses very low battery, barely noticeable, this way I keep my location on to be able to use the locate device and other location services. I only change to high accuracy (GPS, WIFi and Cell) for my daily 5k runs or if I need to use Google maps or any other Maps apps. There are people who use GPS only but I've noticed that it increases (obviously) the gpsd service in my battery stats and it drains battery a lot more than Power saving Mode.

Location History is not needed for the Location Services to work, this is just a Google Service to enable other features. Take a look at this information. Google’s Location History is Still Recording Your Every Move.

Until mid April, when we had 2 separate options, Location reporting and Location History, I had location history on but Reporting off as it was besides the Screen, the number 1 battery drainer on Android, and I frankly didn't want to be "reporting" Google all my moves, but now that they incorporated both into just one setting, I just prefer to turn it off. Check this other link. Understanding Google's Android location tracking | Android Central.

Some people will say that they don't see any difference by leaving this off or on, I do, and a lot of people I have helped personally or via advices here and in other forums, also do, so for those of you who consider that your battery is draining too fast, take a look at this in your Location settings and adjust according to your needs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar