Sent a photo as a text and it looks awful

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So yesterday I took a photo in the highest resolution on my note and I sent it to my little sister on her iPhone 6. She opened it and it looked super pixilated. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Posted via my Samsung Note 5

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's not uncommon. Mostly due to compression of the image for sending through messaging and mms file size limitations imposed by carriers. If a quality image transfer is necessary, email or a cloud drive shared link are better options and you can avoid file size and compression issues.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday I took a photo in the highest resolution on my note and I sent it to my little sister on her iPhone 6. She opened it and it looked super pixilated. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Yes. I did the same thing. I took photo on Note 5 just regular. I sent it to my daughter who has a iPhone 6 and she showed me how bad it looks on her phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I did some research and I guess email is the option for high quality.
One thing I miss about imessage is that it didn't compress files to my knowledge

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
One thing I miss about imessage is that it didn't compress files to my knowledge

Yeah iMessage is a different animal all together. It uses Apple servers for the message transfer between iPhones and avoids sms/mms rules and limitations. Btw, nice car in your avatar...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
When I send images via Hangouts, they come across really well usually. I don't believe they are compressed in Hangouts (** I am not using Hangouts for SMS though).

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
MMS text messages are not suitable for sending high resolution photos. The photo files are automatically reduced in size to a maximum of 300kb. If you send a photo that had an original filesize of 3-4Mb, obviously there will be a loss of some quality. So MMS is OK for sending non-critical photos, like the double cheesburger with mushrooms you had for lunch. But for sending large photo files that you want to look good it's better to email them or share via cloud storage.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Depends on how you send it.
I use Messenger on my Note 5 and send things back and forth between it and my iPhone 6 Plus with little issue. For larger files I use GMail. I also use Google Photo at times.
I have noticed a couple of things.
... check your defaults for sending - MMS may be set to a lower quality.
... when sending from an iPhone (especially email) watch the iPhone size settings
... UHD photos look great on a UHD screen. The iPhone screen is not UHD (Ultra High Definition).
... colors between the two devices are different..
... lastly, if the photo just looks bad, check the default settings on both ends. Sometimes it is the photographer :-$

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Depends on how you send it.
I use Messenger on my Note 5 and send things back and forth between it and my iPhone 6 Plus with little issue. For larger files I use GMail. I also use Google Photo at times.
I have noticed a couple of things.
... check your defaults for sending - MMS may be set to a lower quality.
... when sending from an iPhone (especially email) watch the iPhone size settings
... UHD photos look great on a UHD screen. The iPhone screen is not UHD (Ultra High Definition).
... colors between the two devices are different..
... lastly, if the photo just looks bad, check the default settings on both ends. Sometimes it is the photographer :-$
How do you adjust image quality for sending? I can't seem to find it in message app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I took a 16mp photo and it looks like the messages app reduces the file size before even sending it.

uploadfromtaptalk1441650523614.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

donas2000

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
It isn't necessarily the phone, more the stock app. Find a 3rd party texting app you like. I don't like some of the features of Textra, but it seems to send quality images. I had a problem of sending screen shots of text and the receiver couldn't read them.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

iMessage to iMessage doesn't compress, but iMessage to someone not using iMessage, does compress.

Last edited:

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Sending it regular MMS will definitely suppress the quality. You would have to use an app that uses data like Whatsapp or Hangouts. It sucks because you have to convince any friends or family with iPhones to download a separate app but its a workaround. Or just email it.

MARIEUSA

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hello!

I have a Samsung Note 8 and I had the same problem, but I fixed it. I am not sure if the set up works the same for all Galaxy Note cellphones.
Here's what I did;

° Go to your Messages Settings.
° Under Settings <--> Chat Settings
° Chat Setting <--> Image Size
° Under Image Size you'll have five (5) selections.

1. Best available
2. Original
3. Large (50%)
4. Medium (20%)
5. Small (10%)

I picked Original. But you can choose the sizes of your choice.

Under "Multimedia Limit" you'll have 2 choices.

1. Automatically accept all
2. Automatically accept files less than 9765 MB in size.

I chose "Automatically accept all"

Good luck! 😊

Marie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171128-202537.jpg
    Screenshot_20171128-202537.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

JamesRDunn

May 10, 2018
Visit site
on att, I don't have"chat settings". this sucks - here, let me share this pixelated ****.

Same. I can't find these settings anywhere. I'd love to fix this. I switched from Apple to Samsung when the note 8 came out and my wife is begging me to switch back for iMessage. I'm glad I switched, but if I can't figure out a way to fix some of her pain points with the samsung text messages, I'll have to switch back. Happy wife, happy life, right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol